Breaking News: Per Balt. Sun, O's, Texas Agree to Deal to swap Millwood, cash for Ray

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alex Trebek: The answer is:

Me: The question is: What are 2 thngs I never thought I would see on the OH today!!!!:D:laughlol:

Ah, I think JTrea has been pretty consistent on this point. I think his big problem is that he doesn't think AM can get premium FAs.

With that said, I know you are being sarcastic..

Rangers official denies Millwood-to-Balt deal is done, says Rangers "haven't signed off on it."

from Jason Stark...

I still think it will be Ray+

Haven't seen anyone say it's done yet... only that it's close. So they can have fun denying things that have never been said.

Like most other people I like this move though I'm no fan of Millwood. AM had to get this kind of pitcher on board and going the FA route would have added 1 or probably 2 years to the contract. Also a positive that the FA route would have been easier but AM has done well again here.

Its a good move, I already said that.

Its just not a fantastic move, IMO. A fantastic move was the Bedard trade. If Millwood was a fantastic move, then what is the Bedard trade? Its a solid move that fills a hole while not giving up. MacPhail is rightfully taking advantage of our payroll flexibility to get a pitcher for a 1-year commitment that is probably better than any of the guys who would accept a 1-year deal on the FA market. I know its just a semantical argument, but I don't like seeing these extrmely lofty adjectives getting thrown around describing us getting an aging, declining, expensive starter.

A once a decade trade.

Its a good move, I already said that.

Its just not a fantastic move, IMO. A fantastic move was the Bedard trade. If Millwood was a fantastic move, then what is the Bedard trade? Its a solid move that fills a hole while not giving up. MacPhail is rightfully taking advantage of our payroll flexibility to get a pitcher for a 1-year commitment that is probably better than any of the guys who would accept a 1-year deal on the FA market. I know its just a semantical argument, but I don't like seeing these extrmely lofty adjectives getting thrown around describing us getting an aging, declining, expensive starter.

It's a solid move with realistic potential for being really good if Millwood brings back a good prospect at the break and/or if it opens the way for the signing of a healthy-but-not-quite-ready Bedard.

I realize that "really good" lends itself to more parsing of modifiers, so let's put it this way: there's a realistic chance that in eight months, we could be looking back and thinking that this was a savvy and far-sighted deal, which was more favorable than it looked at the time.

I would go the opposite way. Kevin Millwood is your opening day starter.

Yeah, it could go either way. Maybe there's some 'homer' in the decision, but I'd probably lean towards Guthrie right now. But first things first... lets make sure we actually have Millwood. :)

Rosenthal confirms 3 million coming our way.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/6506965835

Make sit even better.

Millwood is pretty likely to be worth at least the $9M we'll be paying him if he can stay healthy all season. I don't know if we could have found someone better than him for a 1/$9M deal on the FA market. I prefer him to Garland.

If we get Millwood, does it make Bedard not coming back until the All Star break more palatable?

I think a more intriguing question is, if the OD rotation is a combination of Millwood, Guthrie, Bergesen, Matusz & Tillman and everyone is healthy at the All-Star Break, how do you make room for Bedard? Would you send someone (Tillman?) back to Norfolk? Would you force a trade of Millwood or Guthrie?

See existing thread

Whoever writes the Sun's headlines didn't bother to read the dang article. He got the cash thing backwards.

The headline says "Team has tentative agreement with Rangers to acquire starter for Ray, cash."

That's wrong. It's not "Millwood for Ray-and-cash", it's "Millwood-and-cash for Ray"...

Excellent move by AM. It certainly seems like he identified Millwood as an option early on, and he made it happen. This will certainly add some stability to a young rotation, and should help ease some of the workload on the bullpen (he averages ~190IP/season over the last 12 years).

I think a more intriguing question is, if the OD rotation is a combination of Millwood, Guthrie, Bergesen, Matusz & Tillman and everyone is healthy at the All-Star Break, how do you make room for Bedard? Would you send someone (Tillman?) back to Norfolk? Would you force a trade of Millwood or Guthrie?

I think a trade of Millwood or Guthrie would make a lot of sense if theres interest. If a deal couldn't be worked out, maybe Guthrie to a long relief role? It would be a nice problem to have.

Archived