Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't disagree with you... but the Yankees can't sign all of those guys. There should be some piece(s) that we can get.

Yup, the Yanks can't get everyone. But there seems like there will be a lot of teams with money free up. Also, hopefully the consumer will be spending, so teams budgets will increase.

So the question is, do you spend it this year on talent that you might be able to get without overpaying drastically. Figure out to do with that talent.

Or do you wait for next year and get into bidding wars with other teams and have to pay a pretty penny to "maybe" get that guy. Note, hoping those guys do hit the open market also.

That is the debate. Can see reason for both sides.

I think its funny that almost exactly a year ago, Rosenthal was saying Looper and Redding were in play. Now look at the 2009 O's. When was Rose right regarding rumored roster additions for this team?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73824

lol @me:

We NEED to get them both. Our rotation next year is going to look like :puke: !

Looper and Redding will be good one to two year fillers.

oh goodness

Yup, the Yanks can't get everyone. But there seems like there will be a lot of teams with money free up. Also, hopefully the consumer will be spending, so teams budgets will increase.

So the question is, do you spend it this year on talent that you might be able to get without overpaying drastically. Figure out to do with that talent.

Or do you wait for next year and get into bidding wars with other teams and have to pay a pretty penny to "maybe" get that guy. Note, hoping those guys do hit the open market also.

That is the debate. Can see reason for both sides.

Yeah, a little from column A and a little from column B. If Holliday stalls and we could get him for 5/90, you almost have to do it. And next year Andy might have to be more aggressive than he'd like.

That's my only beef with Andy. I think he would spend the big FA money, but only to his price. He's more frugal than cheap, and stubborn about that. If next offseason is really our launching point, he needs to go above and beyond his comfort zone to get the players we need. I don't know if he will.

Yeah, a little from column A and a little from column B. If Holliday stalls and we could get him for 5/90, you almost have to do it. And next year Andy might have to be more aggressive than he'd like.

That's my only beef with Andy. I think he would spend the big FA money, but only to his price. He's more frugal than cheap, and stubborn about that. If next offseason is really our launching point, he needs to go above and beyond his comfort zone to get the players we need. I don't know if he will.

Agree and the bolded part is why you make a serious offer to Holliday. Because even if next years guys "fit" better. We aren't going to win those bidding wars with multiple teams.

I am throwing out these numbers, apologize in advance:

If you can get Holliday for 5/95 which might be over paying a bit, especially for someone that you don't have a 'need' for.

Is that better than having to pay Pena 6/110 because there were a lot of teams bidding? The other FA's went to other teams or higher bids.

Our deficit is lack of proven talent.

I am a big Holliday fan. I am also a huge Reimold fan. Very early on I thought Holliday would be a great addition to the ballclub. Just move Reimold to DH/4th OFer role. Seem pretty prefect since Markakis and Adam Jones rarely take healthy days off.

I think Holliday is going to be the bargain of the decade for someother club (As I doubt AM spends the money on Holliday). I am a true believer that Holliday isn't just the product of Coors field. I think Holliday hitting ablities puts him in the top 3 of all hitters in baseball. Only behind A-Rod and Pujols. He is problaby going to sign for 7 years. I think his WAR numbers for that time period to be around 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, and 3. That comes to 5 WAR a season and 35 WAR for 7 years. Giving 5 million per WAR gives Holliday worth over 7 years to 175 million. Some lucky team with a need in LF is going to get a 175 million dollar player for roughly 100 million dollars (or less).

Now, I believe Reimold is the real deal. I think his speed and arm strength is going to make him a fine LF in time. His hitting ablity isn't near Holliday, but a .365 wOBA in your rookie season is pretty damn impressive. I won't be surprised in the least if he averages 4 WAR the next three seasons (as a LF not a DH).

If AM does sign Holliday (I would offer 7/119 and see if he takes it) then Luke Scott must either become the 1B or be traded. He is only around 10 Runs Above Average hitter and Reimold needs to be in the lineup as much as anybody else our roster.

Agree and the bolded part is why you make a serious offer to Holliday. Because even if next years guys "fit" better. We aren't going to win those bidding wars with multiple teams.

I am throwing out these numbers, apologize in advance:

If you can get Holliday for 5/95 which might be over paying a bit, especially for someone that you don't have a 'need' for.

Is that better than having to pay Pena 6/110 because there were a lot of teams bidding? The other FA's went to other teams or higher bids.

Our deficit is lack of proven talent.

To me, this is right on. After you sign Holliday, you deal from depth for a SS prospect, first base prospect or more pitching.

To me, this is right on. After you sign Holliday, you deal from depth for a SS prospect, first base prospect or more pitching.

Yup, the point is adding proven talent to the team in addition to growing the young. Yeah, OF is not a need, but we can't be that blind. A competent GM should be looking to add talent and figure out to do with that talent afterwards. The point being, not completely overpaying for that talent.

We all say we will be players next year for 1b and SP's. Everyone knows that we will be so they make us "pay" to even talk to them.

Right now, I feel we could be like the Yanks for last year in the Teix deal. Originally, was Teix was what they were looking at? No, they were looking at SP's. But when they saw the price that they could get him for and they saw the FA's in the future, they went for it.

There are different ways to skin the cat.

Archived