Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before they signed John Lackey, the Red Sox offered Matt Holliday a five-year deal worth $82.5MM, according to Peter Gammons (via Twitter). That's comparable to the amount of money the Cardinals are willing to guarantee the left fielder, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/boston-offered-holliday-five-years.html

It's another question whether the O's, with four good outfielders already on the team, should do that.

And none of them remotely with the impact of Holliday, unless you count on the outside possibility that Jones might someday approach that level. And I consider that pretty doubtful given that Jones spent about his last 70 games of last year hitting .240 or so.

Get Holliday and trade off one of the others as part of a package for something else we need.For crying out loud, Millwood and Wigginton come off the books next year, and that covers almost all of the money we'd be paying Holliday, annually.

Sitting here pining away for the Orioles farm system to take us to the promised land while we content ourselves with signing scraps and spare parts to fill our numerous holes is a strategy I fail to comprehend. Next year when some people here figure to go "big time" after free agents, we'll be coming off yet another lousy season.

And we'll still be dealing in Confederate money, and we'll get nowhere.

So how high do you think a team like Baltimore should go for Holliday?

I would do 5/90 with some room to wiggle up a bit. I really like the idea of Holliday here. I'm one who thinks he would be a good fit, and I think it would free us up to trade Reimold and/or Pie and/or Scott to fill other long-term needs.

Yeah that's lower than I'd go. 5/$75M isn't too far off from what he's being offered by other teams, teams without a set OF, though. Its the 6th year that really makes the numbers that a lot of us are throwing around seem much higher than the number they are considering.

Holliday has "earned" an average of $28.9MM the last 3 seasons based on his production. He should be getting offers of $18MM+ right now. We might as well offer the 6/110 right now and suck it up

I would do 5/90 with some room to wiggle up a bit. I really like the idea of Holliday here. I'm one who thinks he would be a good fit, and I think it would free us up to trade Reimold and/or Pie and/or Scott to fill other long-term needs.

I'd top out at 5/90; though I'd be real uncomfortable at that. I just can't see allocating $20 million of my payroll to Holliday. That's 1/6 of payroll on a $ 120 million budget. I like him as well but I'm not sure his impact will be that great.

Holliday has "earned" an average of $28.9MM the last 3 seasons based on his production. He should be getting offers of $18MM+ right now. We might as well offer the 6/110 right now and suck it up

How do you figure he has "earned" $28.9MM? That sounds like Boras logic.

Archived