Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buster Olney from MLBTR:

The Orioles checked out of the Matt Holliday derby when they learned that he's asking for considerably more than $75MM.

That's pathetic. Guess they tried to offer him a one year contract worth a few million with a club option second year worth around 8 million. I don't like to be pessimistic about the team but when I hear/see things like this, when it shows the team isn't willing to spend the kind of money necessary to compete, it validates my decision to not go to games and line Angelos' pockets.

Interesting little nugget from St. Louis Post Dispatch:
MLB.com - The Cardinals appear to finally have competition for free-agent outfielder Matt Holliday.

FOX Sports reported on Thursday that the Orioles have entered the race for Holliday.

A source told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch earlier this week that Holliday would prefer to remain with the Cardinals, but Baltimore has the kind of money that Holliday and agent Scott Boras are looking for in a contract.

As negotiations continue, with Baltimore reportedly entering the mix, Holliday is unlikely to sign before Christmas.

So, we have the money they're looking for? Just not willing to give it up I guess

Sounds like Mr. Boras is having a flunky calling reporters again... providing them with "a source"...

That's pathetic. Guess they tried to offer him a one year contract worth a few million with a club option second year worth around 8 million. I don't like to be pessimistic about the team but when I hear/see things like this, when it shows the team isn't willing to spend the kind of money necessary to compete, it validates my decision to not go to games and line Angelos' pockets.
11:54am: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports agrees: the Yankees will focus on pitching now. They're interested in DeRosa, but Rosenthal hears that his asking price (three years and $18-21MM) is too high for the Yanks.

Case in point that all free agents have a value for clubs.

Doing our due diligence, but drawing the line around $75 million.

source - Buster olney

Well if true, at least they aren't advertising they are in this thing like with the Tex saga.

Still it makes you wonder if Boras is just waiting for a team to blink, but it will be Boras and Holliday that do it, and the Orioles will ante up when Holliday's pricetag comes down...

Buster Olney from MLBTR:

The Orioles checked out of the Matt Holliday derby when they learned that he's asking for considerably more than $75MM.

I wonder what considerably more than 75M means.

While I am not really in favor of adding Holliday, if you can get him for a 5/90 type deal or even 6/96, I think that is a deal you need to do.

I wonder what considerably more than 75M means.

While I am not really in favor of adding Holliday, if you can get him for a 5/90 type deal or even 6/96, I think that is a deal you need to do.

I can't imagine it would be any more than that (5/90), and I wouldn't be surprised if it was 85/5.

I can't imagine it would be any more than that (5/90), and I wouldn't be surprised if it was 85/5.

In a way, I hope not...The reason I say that is that it would be another example of AM seemingly not understanding the market for a player.

I mean, did he really think Holliday would sign for less than 75 million? Doesn't he realize how many teams would be in on him at that price?

So, hopefully considerably more doesn't mean 85-90 million...I am hoping it is 110-150 million.

In a way, I hope not...The reason I say that is that it would be another example of AM seemingly not understanding the market for a player.

I mean, did he really think Holliday would sign for less than 75 million? Doesn't he realize how many teams would be in on him at that price?

So, hopefully considerably more doesn't mean 85-90 million...I am hoping it is 110-150 million.

Well I hope thats not the case either, I just have a feeling.

Maybe AM knows the feel of the league right now. If its really the case that only St Louis is in on Holliday and it comes to the first week of January, we might be able to come in and get a less expensive contract.

Not that I am saying we are in on signing him, I just wouldn't be surprised if "considerably higher than $75M" wasn't as high as you would think.

I'm pretty sure MacPhail knows Holliday isn't going to sign for < $75MM... or at least he doesn't expect him to.

He has probably evaluated what they've already got, and figured if they could pull off a miracle and get Holliday for $75 or less, it's worth it to make something happen with Reimold, etc...

If not, their outfield is pretty much set anyways.

I'm pretty sure MacPhail knows Holliday isn't going to sign for < $75MM... or at least he doesn't expect him to.

He has probably evaluated what they've already got, and figured if they could pull off a miracle and get Holliday for $75 or less, it's worth it to make something happen with Reimold, etc...

If not, their outfield is pretty much set anyways.

Yeah, it sounds like AM is interested, but not willing to overpay. He's interested in A-Gon and Holliday, but at his price. That's great for right now, and I'm glad he's going about things that way...it's just that we're going to need him to pony up in a year or two to really put us over the hump. That's still my question mark about AM.

Yeah, it sounds like AM is interested, but not willing to overpay. He's interested in A-Gon and Holliday, but at his price. That's great for right now, and I'm glad he's going about things that way...it's just that we're going to need him to pony up in a year or two to really put us over the hump. That's still my question mark about AM.

AM will go after bargains...Whether it is bargains in terms of a trade or in FA...That's why I have said I believe he would sign a Vlad or Miggy contract.

If he felt Holliday would be a bargain, he would sign him.

AM will go after bargains...Whether it is bargains in terms of a trade or in FA...That's why I have said I believe he would sign a Vlad or Miggy contract.

If he felt Holliday would be a bargain, he would sign him.

And that's what worries me. AM is a guy that I want rebuilding my organization, but I don't know if he's the guy that can get the O's to the World Series if that's the extent of his strategy.

Archived