Wash Post: O's considering tejada trade

JakeeO

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the reporter being attacked because we don't want what he writes to be true?

I think people overestimate how much personal interest reporters take in the team(s) they are covering. The notion that Arangue is writing this because of personal biases is off-base.

I think people overestimate how much personal interest reporters take in the team(s) they are covering. The notion that Arangue is writing this because of personal biases is off-base.

This guy gets it.

Its probably the way it usually seems...if you want to trade Tejada, you use an article like this as more ammunition. If you don't want to trade Tejada, you try to discredit the reporter/columnist.

You presume that he walks into the clubhouse with a spiteful, annoyed attitude every day. Which hasn't been the case the few times I make it over there. When you're around the same people every day for seven or eight months at a time, for a number of years now you sort of develop a trust and rapport. You're much more likely to be more open around familiar faces. And so even if Tejada himself doesn't say he's tired of Baltimore, his teammates could sometimes be willing to say as much about him, or say that he really is happier than some may think, whatever.

Fair enough. That makes sense to me.

I don't think that Jorge stomps around scowling all the time, but, after reading a lot of his stuff, I wouldn't trust him if I was an Oriole.

Who's ripping on Roch?

Seriously, this is getting HELLA old. Yes, I said HELLA - that is precisely how OLD this is getting.

either trade him and get a boatload, and I mean a BOATLOAD, of talent back or keep him, keep him happy and do what you need to do to build around him.

Both ways CAN be done, both ways CAN help the team and both ways could have us competing in the near future. I am just tired of the debate - I swear if I read the name Kotchman ONE MORE TIME....

It never ends!

Who's ripping on Roch?

Seriously, this is getting HELLA old. Yes, I said HELLA - that is precisely how OLD this is getting.

either trade him and get a boatload, and I mean a BOATLOAD, of talent back or keep him, keep him happy and do what you need to do to build around him.

Both ways CAN be done, both ways CAN help the team and both ways could have us competing in the near future. I am just tired of the debate - I swear if I read the name Kotchman ONE MORE TIME....

It never ends!

Kotchman...now what? :eek:

Fair enough. That makes sense to me.

I don't think that Jorge stomps around scowling all the time, but, after reading a lot of his stuff, I wouldn't trust him if I was an Oriole.

And then that presumes that he's there to be buddy-buddy at the same time, and write stuff that they'd like all the time. He's there to write just the facts of things. Guys like Bill Stetka, Kevin Behan, and Monica Pence are the ones who put the silver lining on everything, though they're always honest in addressing situations good and bad, unlike other PR types who work for professional baseball teams in the state of Maryland. They're the PR guys. Some players do go in with the attitude you mentioned though, but it's awfully hard to carry that chip from mid-February through the start of October literally every day.

It's kind of like if you work in a big office. There are guys you see every day, who you have friendly conversations with and share details of your lives with, but who in the end you really wouldn't call a friend.

Who's ripping on Roch?

It never ends!

It's going to be hard to make him happy right now. Plus, I think everyone on here should be worried about possible steroid use coming to light.

Well I don't think Mora will all of a sudden want out if we trade Tejada, and it's not like he will be terrible over-paid.

The O's want major league ready guys but I hope they also want prospects. I could see them wanting like Chone Figgins instead of Brandon Wood. How would people feel about that?

Another thing...Do we trade Tejada and then try to compete again next year, or go more towards 2008?

For example, say we trade Tejada for Santana, Wood, and Kotchman. Do you turn around and trade a Loewen or Penn for a bat like Gomes, Cabrera, Dunn, Crawford, etc, and then maybe sign a pitcher and make a run next year? Or do you hold onto all the young guys and go for 2008?

Also, do we try to deal Gibbons as well? He is a solid guy but if we are going to go with a new look he may be another guy that needs a change of scenery. Or maybe he can settle in at DH and be a solid #7 hitter.

Trading for a guy like Crawford or Mcab is a move for the present and the future. So that wouldn't be something where they'd have to decide to go for it now or rebuild. And I would love to trade for either of those guys, just depends on what the asking price is. Would want Dunn or Gomes too.

If we got one of those guys, I'd be more interested in trading Gibbons. Just depends on what you can get for him and if we get a guy like Shealy. If we don't, we should probably have Gibbons play first or DH.

Tardy, no, I don't care. If he's not at the park to take the field, thats a different story.

I see what you mean, but you gotta have rules. When your top player starts ignoring those rules with no punishment, you've got trouble. Maybe it's the parent in me talking, but everybody's got to be playing by the same set of rules in the clubhouse (or least a similar set).

Well they may want to keep all their pitchers around and see which ones turn out the best...That is what I was talking about in regards to MCAB or Crawford. It probally would involve giving up multiple good prospects and the FO may not consider that that would be in their best interest.

But yeah, definitely a move for the present and future, and it's definitely a move I would try to make, especially if it's for M-Cab.

Well as I said earlier, getting Santana would make me more willing to trade some of our young pitching. Plus, I think they should identify(if they haven't already) the keepers and the trade bait among our young pitchers. They can't all be in our future starting rotation.

Wow. What an article. It's like something a half dozen people at the OH could have hoped for and written as a joke - including words from another executive that said the Mora signing was a mistake if we want to deal Miggy!

I hope they deal Miggy. I've seen earlier posts about people bashing Miggy in order to trade him. That's not the case for most here. Trading Miggy is a baseball decision only - as in (a) we can finish four or last without him and (b) let's trade him before his performance deteriorates and his value. There nothing not to like about how Miggy plays baseball.

Archived