Please hold on Cubbies

beaner

Regardless of how the playoffs come out, everyone will recognize and appreciate whichever team finishes with the best record in baseball. That's certainly worth something, but it's not the be-all, end-all -- and shouldn't be.

Who remembers who had the best record? That's only recalled when a team had a historically great season but didn't win in the playoffs, like the 116-win Mariners, or the '69 Orioles.

For the most part the media and fans treat great regular season teams who lose a short series as chokers who couldn't get it done when it counted. That's a great disservice, IMO.

Regular season champs used to be pennant winners, and were celebrated. Now they're a footnote.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like that, though. That's why both are more interesting than any other sports' postseasons.

That is because you don't watch football.

In general, playoff sports are played at a high level and very rarely do the best teams win the championship.

March Madness is great because its one and done, but the other playoff formats are great as well.

NBA is awesome because the first round is a short series and an 8 can beat a 1 or 7 beat a 2.

NHL is just silly because there is so much intensity in those games, it is unreal.

In reality, playoffs are da shiznit no matter what sport it is.

In general, playoff sports are played at a high level and very rarely do the best teams win the championship.

March Madness is great because its one and done, but the other playoff formats are great as well.

NBA is awesome because the first round is a short series and an 8 can beat a 1 or 7 beat a 2.

NHL is just silly because there is so much intensity in those games, it is unreal.

All that's true if you think it's fine that the regular season is merely a more lucrative way to seed the playoffs than drawing lots.

First round of the NBA playoffs are 7-game series. Have been for a few years.

Maybe the NHL has it best -- they give an actual award to the team with the best regular season record -- complete with trophy and banner to hang in the rafters.

Obviously the Stanley Cup is Numero Uno, but at least the idea of winning the regular season title has a little more glamor to it.

Maybe the NHL has it best -- they give an actual award to the team with the best regular season record -- complete with trophy and banner to hang in the rafters.

Obviously the Stanley Cup is Numero Uno, but at least the idea of winning the regular season title has a little more glamor to it.

Its probably the best we'll ever do in the current standard American sport system (with play-offs being king). I see where Drungo is going, understand it, and have often thought to myself that it does seem unfair that a team which wins a vast majority of its games over an extended period of time can lose the championship in a very short period of time to a team that is half as good as they are.

Then, I think of how much I love play-offs, and say, "Oh well." Seriously, play-offs ROCK, and I'm not sure I would watch sports anymore without them.

Its probably the best we'll ever do in the current standard American sport system (with play-offs being king). I see where Drungo is going, understand it, and have often thought to myself that it does seem unfair that a team which wins a vast majority of its games over an extended period of time can lose the championship in a very short period of time to a team that is half as good as they are.

Then, I think of how much I love play-offs, and say, "Oh well." Seriously, play-offs ROCK, and I'm not sure I would watch sports anymore without them.

This is my position, exactly.

Congrats to Beaner and Davearm...I know who i will be rooting for to win it all now...Go Cubbies!

I am hoping for a Clev/Cubs WS...Let some team end a drought.

Wouldn't it be something if they won it 99 years later...

'84 was Garvey

'89 was Will Clark

'98 they just weren't good enough

'03 was Bartman

'07-????

Congrats to Beaner and Davearm...I know who i will be rooting for to win it all now...Go Cubbies!

I am hoping for a Clev/Cubs WS...Let some team end a drought.

Cleveland - Chicago would be awesome.

Actually Chicago and anyone would be a ratings bonanza. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the networks would most prefer the Cubbies in the WS ahead of any of the other teams, including BOS and NYY.

I think the Phillies will win the NL Pennant should they qualify for the playoffs.

I predicted a Phillies/Tigers WS at the beginning of the year, so I'm hoping to be at least 1/2 right.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubbies win, I met a lot of great people out at Wrigley this summer (including one lady who GAVE me two free bleacher seats when she saw I a scalper trying to hustle me).

I think the Phillies will win the NL Pennant should they qualify for the playoffs.

I predicted a Phillies/Tigers WS at the beginning of the year, so I'm hoping to be at least 1/2 right.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubbies win, I met a lot of great people out at Wrigley this summer (including one lady who GAVE me two free bleacher seats when she saw I a scalper trying to hustle me).

I'll tell you what, if Cole Hamels can pitch like he did last night, the Phils would be a very tough out.

Usually pitching is what wins in the postseason though, and that's clearly the Phils' achilles heel.

Archived