Fahey looked great at shortstop last night!

Cider Jim

Just because Fahey has a .650 OPS in 121 AB's doesn't mean he'll have a .650 OPS forever. It won't get much higher than .700 I'm guessing, but his defensive range makes up for it.

I agree with people are saying "don't write him off as SS". If we upgrade this offense in other areas I would definitely consider it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But only Tejada would be playing a new position. The rest would be playing positions they have previously played....and for the most part played well.

And you don't think there would be a substantial period of time for each of those players to get re-acquainted with those new positions?

Roberts is a questionable at short. Why wouldn't you have the Better SS playing short. I am starting to think barring moving Miggy the best we could do long term and short term would be to move Miggy to third and Move Mora to LF. Then make the trade for Shealy.

2b Roberts

rf Nick

lf Mora

3b Miggy

1b Shealy

c Ramon

dh Gibbons/javy/tracy

c Patterson

ss Fahey

I don't think that would be a bad lineup to finish the season out with.

Just because Fahey has a .650 OPS in 121 AB's doesn't mean he'll have a .650 OPS forever. It won't get much higher than .700 I'm guessing, but his defensive range makes up for it.

I agree with people are saying "don't write him off as SS". If we upgrade this offense in other areas I would definitely consider it.

Good way to put it Sean. This is exactly the way I feel about this, too. If we can upgrade two of 1B, corner OF, and DH, we'd be fine carrying Fahey. If he can play great shortstop, hit second, and have a .350 - .380 OBP, that's all we would need. If Markakis continues to hit, then I'd move him to the second slot and put Fahey in the 9 hole. I think a guy like that COULD be a starter, if we were able to deal Tejada and get a couple of big sticks.

Right now, that's a very big IF!

And you don't think there would be a substantial period of time for each of those players to get re-acquainted with those new positions?

Certainly there would be. But I think the fact they all have played them previously and Tejada staying on the left side of the infield minimizes the re-aquantice time. And the 2 most important positions, SS and 2nd base would have the 2 guys that would take the least amount of time adjusting. The base hits saved up the middle alone would minimize a lot of it!!!

I happened to see an inning of the Braves Yanks game yesterday and Renteria went bhind 2nd base in the 11th inning to save a base hit. One less runner on in a situation like that is huge. And Tejada doesn't give us that. Now I realize they still lost the game but that's besides the point. Renteria saved a runner in a critical situation.

Let's face it, a move like I am suggesting is a move that if made now would help greatly next year. Still do it now but nothing short of getting a true power hitting 1st baseman or LF'er isn't getting us into the playoffs. So make some moves now in the field to give adjustment time for next year. Along with getting Penn and Loewen in the rotation. Making these moves reduces what would be needed in the free agent market.

Boston & the White Sox both have excellent defensive SS's who don't hit any better than Fahey. Maybe they know something you don't.

Yea, that it's nice to have a 1B or a DH with a 1.100 OPS. Unless you're going to trade Tejada for Thome or Ortiz or Tex I don't think we have that option.

This isn't the 1980's anymore.

Really ? Thanks. I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

Eckstein - he has some teammate named Pujols...don't know if you've heard of him before.

Another wonderful insight ? And your point is......

Belanger played on a team that had Frank Robinson

Oh- now I get it, so you are saying that a team CAN carry a good defensive SS if you have great offense at OTHER positions (ie Pujols, FRobby). Wasn't that my point in the first place ?

different era of baseball, when speed, defense, and pitching ruled
also was another completely different era, when pitchers ruled the game.

Last time I checked- baseball is still hitting, fielding, throwing. But, then again- if I didn't know it wasn't still the 1980's or who some guy named Pujols was- I am probably wrong about that too. :P

Yea, that it's nice to have a 1B or a DH with a 1.100 OPS. Unless you're going to trade Tejada for Thome or Ortiz or Tex I don't think we have that option.

Of course we would all want an AROD or equal at every position.

I think it is a given here, amongst those that are open to the idea of Fahey for any extended length- that the team is upgraded in other areas.

Many teams have gotten by with good defensive / weak hitting SS.

It all depends on how good defensively he (or any other SS) is and who is carrying the load offensively.

66/70/83...The point is we don't have great offense elsewhere and, if you are paying attention to what is available, we probably won't have a great offense next year either.

There just isn't enough talent out there to do it.

If we could get Sexson and Dunn, then we coul dhave Fahey at SS:

1st- sexson

2nd- BRob

SS- Fahey

3rd- Tejada

LF- Mora

CF- CPat

RF- Markakis

DH- Dunn

C- Hernandez

Gibbons platoons all around.

There, that is an offense where you can have Fahey at SS...So, now let's be realistic.

How about this novel concept...Instead of settling for crap that is already here, how about we acquire actual talent...How about we go to the Angels, who have 3 SS and get Aybar?

Now see, he has TALENT...He has great speed...He can hit and get on base.

He can field very well.

Oh- now I get it, so you are saying that a team CAN carry a good defensive SS if you have great offense at OTHER positions (ie Pujols, FRobby). Wasn't that my point in the first place ?

But we don't have anybody else like that. Tejada is not a great hitter. He is a great hitter for a SS. He is merely good for a DH or 1B.

In all liklihood Fahey will never hit well enough to justify being an everyday player. He is not good enough defensively to justify his horrid bat (and his minor league career makes it very obvious that he won't ever even be a .700 OPS guy).

Its great to like the guy for the way he plays, but suggesting that we play him everyday is just crazy. He might be our best option other than Tejada right now, but in no way does that mean that he is anything even closely resembling a good option as an everyday player.

Of course we would all want an AROD or equal at every position.

I think it is a given here, amongst those that are open to the idea of Fahey for any extended length- that the team is upgraded in other areas.

Many teams have gotten by with good defensive / weak hitting SS.

It all depends on how good defensively he (or any other SS) is and who is carrying the load offensively.

I think the missing part of the equation here is:

- The Orioles have one of the best hitting shortstops in baseball

- They're weak at first.

- Even if you trade Tejada for a great-hitting first baseman you're only coming out even.

We're talking about trading Tejada or moving him to first to gain almost nothing. You'd have to get a better player (relative to position) than Tejada to improve because you're then substituting Brandon Fahey and his bat for Conine/Millar and theirs. They hit somewhat better than Fahey, while Fahey gives you a defensive advantage. I think a .050 point OPS advantage Millar/Conine have about breaks even with Fahey's range advantage over Tejada.

Even getting a fair deal (i.e. a big bat) for Tejada probably means they're just even. They wouldn't have done anything to improve the team.

66/70/83...The point is we don't have great offense elsewhere and, if you are paying attention to what is available, we probably won't have a great offense next year either.

There just isn't enough talent out there to do it.

If we could get Sexson and Dunn, then we coul dhave Fahey at SS:

1st- sexson

2nd- BRob

SS- Fahey

3rd- Tejada

LF- Mora

CF- CPat

RF- Markakis

DH- Dunn

C- Hernandez

Gibbons platoons all around.

There, that is an offense where you can have Fahey at SS...So, now let's be realistic.

How about this novel concept...Instead of settling for crap that is already here, how about we acquire actual talent...How about we go to the Angels, who have 3 SS and get Aybar?

Now see, he has TALENT...He has great speed...He can hit and get on base.

He can field very well.

I agree with you.

I am not campaigning for Fahey for SS.

I just don't buy into the notion that a very good defensive SS can't be justified. On this team- as it is now stinks with a great SS. So, if the view is long term (finally) than who cares who mans shortstop in the short term ?

Getting a SS (Aybar) in a deal for Tejada is ideal. But, what is plan B or C when the ideal trade isn't or can't be made. What I said earlier is- my goal in a Tejada deal wouldnt be to get a SS back - it would be nice, but my goal would be the best players I could get.

But we don't have anybody else like that. Tejada is not a great hitter. He is a great hitter for a SS. He is merely good for a DH or 1B.

In all liklihood Fahey will never hit well enough to justify being an everyday player. He is not good enough defensively to justify his horrid bat (and his minor league career makes it very obvious that he won't ever even be a .700 OPS guy).

Its great to like the guy for the way he plays, but suggesting that we play him everyday is just crazy. He might be our best option other than Tejada right now, but in no way does that mean that he is anything even closely resembling a good option as an everyday player.

Somehow my defense of the idea of a weak-hitting/good defensive SS (Belanger, Smith, Everett, WIlson, etc) has morphed into a play Fahey everyday campaign.

I never suggested that we play him everyday as Plan A.

Only if we have too.

IF we trade Tejada and do not get back a better SS- then put him there and see how he does. It is assumed that if we trade Tejeda that we are not contending now- so where is the harm ? We are close to last place with the best hitting SS in the game. How much worse could we be without him ?

Archived