Surprised? Roch say it's Hernandez and Tatum

ConnO'sFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would hope Joseph will likely be traded if Wieters is blocking him and he's ready to fill a ML full time role.

A good catching prospect is too valuable to waste as a backup.

So we are losing either Moeller or Tatum (it's Moeller) and on top of that you want to trade Joseph too??? You've heard of this concept of "depth", haven't you?

I found out Craig Tatum made the team this morning because he is my brother-in-law's son. Certainly his dad is biased, but he told me Craig is a very good defensive catcher. Hopefully his dad and l will be able to make a trip from Mississippi this year to catch a game at Camden Yards for the first time ever. :)

They've said they like throwing to him. And Guthrie especially...

Moeller also caught for the Yankees.

And this matters how?

I like Moeller and would have liked him to make the team, but this is Wieter's team. Datz was brought in because he is meant to tutor Wieters, so that makes Moeller redundant.

Wieters is going to catch at least 135 games, so the back-up catcher isn't going to be getting that much game action.

Moeller knew the pitchers, but he only came into the organization last season. Give Tatum some time to get to know the current pitchers.

Plus, let Moeller work with the AAA pitchers (Patton, Erbe, Tillman, and Arrieta). The starting pitchers in the majors, minus Hernandez, (Millwood, Guthrie, Bergesen, Matusz) are pretty well polished already. Regarding the bullpen, most everyone in the bullpen is well seasoned.

Caleb Joseph will probably take over towards the end of next season and I could envision him serving as a DH/back-up C. I would rather keep him than trade him, but if he brings back something useful, go for it.

And this matters how?

It matters because he was in a championship organization and got to catch some of the best pitching talent in baseball.

As for your second point, it may be Wieters' team, but we do not want to see Trembley ride him into the ground. And Trembley has been known to do that to his players.

His bat is more vital than his defense and it needs to stay as fresh as possible if the Orioles want him to ever reach his ceiling. We want a backup catcher that will catch a lot of games.

Case in point, Joe Mauer only caught 109 games last year. I think we'll only want to see Wieters catch 120 max this year, which leaves 42 games and 120+ AB for a backup C.

Ok. Great. And he is in AAA working with the pitchers that need the most help. So what are you complaining about?

Not yet he isn't...

Trembley said president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail told Moeller that the Orioles would actively check with all 29 other teams to see whether there's any chance he can catch on in the Majors elsewhere.

Moeller wasn't sure what the next step was for him and said he planned to talk to his family first. Obviously any Major League interest from another club could alter his plans significantly.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100330&content_id=8996858&notebook_id=9016050&vkey=notebook_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

He can refuse his assignment and become a FA.

You do realize that Mauer started the season on the DL and didnt return until May 1st.

And why did Mauer go on the DL? Possibly could it be due to the 135 games he caught the year before?

Also more on Moeller from the Sun:

"I felt like I had a good spring and things had gone really well here last year and that's why I signed back," said Moeller, 35. "I was shocked and disappointed. I thought they were looking for a veteran presence for Wieters and the young pitchers."

Moeller forged a bond with many of the club's younger core, and whispers of his pending reassignment privately frustrated several players.

Nice to see we are frustrating players before the season even starts.

Archived