4/24: In Matusz We Trust

ShaneDawg85

I absolutely love Matusz, but I'm hoping he finds a way to improve his conditioning/endurance some. He has tired noticeably in the middle innings in his last couple of starts. He's lost a couple MPH on his fastball and he's mostly been missing up.

Yeah. He seems to speed up his delivery as he tires.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job by Kranitz there, who I'm assuming told Matusz to ditch the fastball and use the secondaries. He wasn't fooling anyone with the fastball that inning and he seemed to be losing movement and velocity. The only fastball he threw in that at bat was a throw-away 1-2 pitch away to keep Pedroia honest. Really good pitch sequence there.

I absolutely love Matusz, but I'm hoping he finds a way to improve his conditioning/endurance some. He has tired noticeably in the middle innings in his last couple of starts. He's lost a couple MPH on his fastball and he's mostly been missing up.

I agree, I love the guy but he is tiring noticeably. I would get him out, no way do I push this kid when he gets tired at this point. Can you imagine the results if we got this kid hurt. OMG.

I agree, I love the guy but he is tiring noticeably. I would get him out, no way do I push this kid when he gets tired at this point. Can you imagine the results if we got this kid hurt. OMG.

The only way to build endurance is too pitch....he needs to keep going IMO. Besides that, we go to the BP now.....we lose.

He didn't have trouble pitching into the late innings in the minors so I'm going to wait until everyone gets into mid season form before I start questioning their endurance.

He's efficient with his pitches, so you'd expect him to get into the late innings with ease. His secondaries are also exceptional so I wouldn't expect him to have trouble putting away MiL hitters by fooling them in the late innings.

I did hear reports of Matusz struggling with fastball command as the game went on, and I've seen that at the ML level as well. It's a relatively minor issue, as he has the arsenal to mix it up the third time through the lineup and he's a very, very smart pitcher. I'm just hoping he finds a way to keep the fastball sharp late into the game. It will make him an elite pitcher.

Archived