Safe or Out

Sunner

Not sure what this would really go under. Here is the situation runner on 1st leading off, pitcher throws over. If runner's foot is on the 1st baseman's foot while touching the bag as the tag is applied is he safe or out?

I'm with Paul on this. The foot would be preventing the runner contact to the base, therefore, YOU'RE OUT!

Sorry loser but I'm with the man from New Joisey and I'm not gonna look it up either. :P Foot on bag, foot on foot (hmm footsies?) safe!

Sorry loser but I'm with the man from New Joisey and I'm not gonna look it up either. :P Foot on bag, foot on foot (hmm footsies?) safe!

Why you gotta start name calling (Baldy!)? Its not nice and it hurts my feelings. I am just gonna sit here and cry! :002_scry:

Foot on foot, foot off base, hand on foot on base, hand scratching genitalia, all OUTS!

Good question... not absolutely sure... and the rules don't say...

I'd say he's safe... otherwise what's to stop the fielder from just lying down on the bag to keep the runner from touching it? Any time somebody tried to swipe 2B, a MI could just get down in the fetal position and wrap himself around the bag, and wait for the other MI to tag the guy. My vote is that, if the runner puts his foot (or hand) where the bag is supposed to be, then he's safe... even if the bag's not there (which the rules do talk about) and even if the fielder is using some body part to cover up the bag...

Why you gotta start name calling (Baldy!)? Its not nice and it hurts my feelings. I am just gonna sit here and cry! :002_scry:

Foot on foot, foot off base, hand on foot on base, hand scratching genitalia, all OUTS!

Are jou talkin' to me???? Cause if jou're talkin' to me I just might start a Top Ten list about you and your predilections....brah! :cussing: And if you look above this post you'll see that Rshack has my back! He actually admits not "knowing" but MUS' anyway! LOL

Good question... not absolutely sure... and the rules don't say...

I'd say he's safe... otherwise what's to stop the fielder from just lying down on the bag to keep the runner from touching it? Any time somebody tried to swipe 2B, a MI could just get down in the fetal position and wrap himself around the bag, and wait for the other MI to tag the guy. My vote is that, if the runner puts his foot (or hand) where the bag is supposed to be, then he's safe... even if the bag's not there (which the rules do talk about) and even if the fielder is using some body part to cover up the bag...

That's in the rules: interference. I think the catcher blocking the plate is technically interference, too, but it's never called.

In the case of the OP, I think that as long as the runner has a place to touch the bag and he's touching the fielder instead, it's an out. If it's full-on blocking, its interference.

That's in the rules: interference. I think the catcher blocking the plate is technically interference, too, but it's never called.

In the case of the OP, I think that as long as the runner has a place to touch the bag and he's touching the fielder instead, it's an out. If it's full-on blocking, its interference.

I think it's only interference if you don't have the ball yet.

According to the umps in the game the foot is part of the bag and he is safe. I had several other people say the samething. I disagree, if that is the case a catcher blocking the plate with his leg or foot on the plate would be part of the base as well. I e-mailed ask an ump, their response he is out but no explanation.

I still would like to see the rule.

I'd say he'd be out, because the runner's foot isn't actually touching the bag.

Isn't it the same thing as when a catcher blocks the plate and the runner slides into the catcher's foot instead of the base?

I'm with Paul on this. The foot would be preventing the runner contact to the base, therefore, YOU'RE OUT!

Not saying I know for sure, but if this was the case then what is stopping the 1bmen from just sitting on the bag and not allowing the runner to touch it?

Not saying I know for sure, but if this was the case then what is stopping the 1bmen from just sitting on the bag and not allowing the runner to touch it?

What's the benefit? If he doesn't have the ball, it's interference, and if he does he should be doing whatever he can to make the tag (and he likely could sit on the base if the runner was not making a move either back or towards second).

Are jou talkin' to me???? Cause if jou're talkin' to me I just might start a Top Ten list about you and your predilections....brah! :cussing: And if you look above this post you'll see that Rshack has my back! He actually admits not "knowing" but MUS' anyway! LOL

Baldy? Who we calling Baldy?

Rule 7.06 through 7.08 pretty clearly state that a fielder may not obstruct a runner from advancing or returning to a base if he does not have possession of the ball. With it, the runner appears to be fair game. So If the fielder has his foot on the bag then the foot steps on top, the runner is safe.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2008/official_rules/07_the_runner.pdf

Archived