So, who are your dark horse picks?

Since Matt Hobgood seemingly came out of nowhere to be drafted last year (not that there's anything wrong with that, I have big expectations for Big Matt), I was wondering who y'all think are the darkhorse picks the O's *might* take in this year's draft, if they don't grab Taillon or Machado.

If Taillon is selected by Pittsburgh, and Jordan is still enamored with a high school pitcher, I could see a case being made for Whitson or even AJ Cole.

I think that if Taillon is not the pick, we'll see Chris Sale's name. He's got a lanky frame at 6'6" with room for projection, and could still reach the majors within 2/2.5 years IMO.

Cam Bedrosian. His dad played for the Braves amongst other teams, and he's got some tools. Was right up there with Cole and JT for me before the season, has fallen behind a bit, but still some potential.

IMO he is unfairly knocked down a few pegs due to his size. He has a big arm, pretty decent command and very solid secondaries for a HS kid. Also, everywhere I read about him, it drills in how good a feel for pitching he has and that he has good mound presence and is a bulldog. I wouldn't be upset with this pick honestly.

IMO he is unfairly knocked down a few pegs due to his size. He has a big arm, pretty decent command and very solid secondaries for a HS kid. Also, everywhere I read about him, it drills in how good a feel for pitching he has and that he has good mound presence and is a bulldog. I wouldn't be upset with this pick honestly.

Eh, the size is a fair knock, no? I'd be disappointed with that kind of selection -- I think there's a fair chance he ends-up in the pen.

A shocker like Hobgood? Stetson Allie. A surprise would be someone like Nick Castelllanos. A mild surprise would be Pomeranz.

I think these are pretty solid thoughts. Not sure Allie fits the Jordan profile, given his buckshot command. Excellent arm strength for sure! Wonder if Rowell would make him Castellanos-shy (not that they are particularly similar, save for being corner HS bats).

What about Renaudo...I only saw him once and was extremely impressed by him.

I see on ESPN that Law has him climbing. I know he was hurt but what its his status?

I personally think his climbing again has more to do with the first round being light on top-tier talent. People just aren't as impressed with a lot of the people out there (to the point where some top-10 people feel like they have to make a stretch pick because no one is worth the slot price) so it's easy to get interested and take a flier on a guy that was projected top 5 and then had an injury. There is the "what-if" factor with him, and that curiosity is enough to put him ahead of some of these lesser guys.

What about Renaudo...I only saw him once and was extremely impressed by him.

I see on ESPN that Law has him climbing. I know he was hurt but what its his status?

I don't like the wear'n'tear on his elbow with all these "minor" issues. Wouldn't touch him at 3 and honestly wouldn't take him in the top 15, were it my decision.

A couple of darkhorses.

Matt Harvey

Drew Pomeranz (although would'nt be a huge overdraft)

Alex Wimmers

Asher Wojciechowski

Anthony Ranaudo

Christian Colon

Deck McGuire

My #1 darkhorse is Chris Sale. I could easily see us going the college route this year with the Hobgood pick last year.

Ditto, Cox could be a nice solid regular for us at the ML level and is probably the safest pick in the first round.

Dude, we can pick up a solid regular on the FA market, I don't understand the logic. All I ever hear you say is "We need premium talent" "Andy MacPhail sucks because he doesn't bring in PREMIUM TALENT", what the hell do you think passing up on PREMIUM TALENT(Machado or Taillon) for a redundant prospect(Cox) that will have to move off of his natural position to ever get any playing time is? WE HAVE JOSH BELL READY TO COME UP THIS YEAR!

I honestly think you wish for us to take Cox because you just want to have more crap to gripe about in the future. I better never hear you say anything about not having a TOR starter.....

Dude, we can pick up a solid regular on the FA market, I don't understand the logic. All I ever hear you say is "We need premium talent" "Andy MacPhail sucks because he doesn't bring in PREMIUM TALENT", what the hell do you think passing up on PREMIUM TALENT(Machado or Taillon) for a redundant prospect(Cox) that will have to move off of his natural position to ever get any playing time is? WE HAVE JOSH BELL READY TO COME UP THIS YEAR!

I honestly think you wish for us to take Cox because you just want to have more crap to gripe about in the future. I better never hear you say anything about not having a TOR starter.....

Cox is the Matusz of position players in this draft IMO. He's the best pick for our franchise at #3 because we can't afford to blow the draft pick, and studies like the one done at Fangraphs show the college hitter has the most success of a top first round pick with HS pitchers having the worst success rate.

Cox is the Matusz of position players in this draft IMO. He's the best pick for our franchise at #3 because we can't afford to blow the draft pick, and studies like the one done at Fangraphs show the college hitter has the most success of a top first round pick with HS pitchers having the worst success rate.

Keep thinking that...just cause he's the best of what's out there (and that is very debatable) doesn't mean he is as good as other years. We aren't talking anywhere near Pedro Alvarez, here, not even in the ballpark. And stats can tell you how most people like to build their sandwich, doesn't mean one way is better than the other.

Archived