Machado aside, which of the O's 1-10 picks are you most excited about?

Who are you most excited about?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you most excited about?

• Rd. 3: Daniel Klein, RHP, UCLA
    • Rd. 4: Trent Mummey, OF, Auburn
    • Rd. 5: Connor Narron, SS, C.B. Aycock HS (NC)
    • Rd. 6: Dixon Anderson, RHP, Cal
    • Rd. 7: Matt Bywater, LHP, Pepperdine
    • Rd. 8: Wynston Sawyer, C, Scripps Ranch HS (CA)
    • Rd. 9: Parker Bridwell, RHP, Hereford HS (TX)
    • Rd. 10: Clayton Schrader, San Jacinto JC

I actually think this is a pretty crappy top 10. I would have really liked to see some infielders chosen here (other than the two SS's we picked). But I realize that you don't use the MLB draft to address team need. Oh well.

Narron sounds like the best to me, but of course I'm just basing it on nothing but the recaps I've read here.

I hadn't heard of a single one of these guys before today. Hope Jordan did well.

My question is intended to be slightly different, focusing more on the player's value compared to his draft position, rather than just overall opinion of the player. But maybe the difference is too subtle to bother.

This kid wasn't a high choice and I really doubt he signs but our 41st RD. pick SS David Blanchard looks like a hell of an athlete. Mr. football for Alabama and ranked as the 41st QB in the country by Rivals. The #1 QB in the state. Team went 15-0. Full ride to play football and baseball at Jacksonville State.

He is the type of athlete I really really like to get. Let him concentrate in just Baseball and see what he can do. Im big on the toolsy guys. He really seems like a good find. Im sure it would take alot to sign him.

He is from the same area as a kid i really wanted Reggie Golden.

http://www2.oanow.com/oan/oasports

Coty Blanchard, SS, Cherokee County

What he did: Honorable mention All-State, hit .524 with five home runs and 29 RBI his senior season.

What he can do: Blanchard’s basically Mr. Cherokee County. He was the MVP of the Class 4A championship game in football, went on to become Mr. Football, and then made honorable mention All-State in both basketball and baseball. I’d say he’s a little athletic.

Where he went: 1228th pick, Baltimore Orioles

Where he’s going: Jacksonville State, to play football. Not quite sure if he’ll double on the baseball team or not. No way he’s signing out of high school going so low. Especially with the Orioles…

The same article adds this about Mummey

In a Draft day surprise, as far as Auburn players are concerned, centerfielder Trent Mummey, not first baseman Hunter Morris, was the first of what’s expected to be many Auburn players off the draft board today.

Mummey was selected in the fourth round, 118th overall by the Baltimore Orioles. Mummey said last week “it’s hard to turn down money,“ so this all but guarantees his career at Auburn is over.

Mummey hated it at the time, but the sprained ankle that cost him the first 28 games might have been, as he calls it, “a blessing in disguise.“

Sure, it cost the 2008 Gold Glove winner half of his regular season, but it made what Mummey did through the second half of the season all the more impressive and noteworthy. In just 29 starts, Mummey hit 15 home runs, which ranks sixth in the SEC, while batting .371 with 47 RBIs, a total that ranks third on the team. His torrid stretch continued in the NCAA Regional, where he went 7-for-21 (.333) with a Regional-high five doubles while also hitting two home runs, scoring six runs and driving in seven.

“I had a lot of expectations for the year, so I was definitely worried when it happened,” Mummey said. “I came back really hot and it worked out.”

Along with Morris, other Tigers to watch today are leftfielder Brian Fletcher and designated hitter Kevin Patterson.

I am not overly-excited about any of them really...Narron has good upside.

But the guy I like the most is Klein...I think he will be in the pen quickly.

I like Klein a lot. Would have personally liked to grab Rutledge there, as he could have been a "quick fix" at SS and seemed like late-2nd to mid-3rd talent after his spring season. But no mistaking Klein's talent was certainly top 75 or so.

Hope everyone takes a breath when projecting Narron. Reality tends to be a little less rosy than the snippets of a player you catch online.

How do you figure that, when he'll be groomed as a starter? The only way he makes it quickly as a reliever is if he flames out as a starter and I'm not sure how fast the O's will give up on that one.

I would like Klein and Alexander a lot more if they were both being left in the pen for sure.

Takes me a few days after the draft to warm up to guys because I'm still pouting about my personal preference in choices.

Archived