Tanner Murphy - 22nd round - C - Mountain Ridge HS

Jeez, how many catchers are we going to take? Aren't catchers generally not terribly athletic and therefore unlikely to thrive at other positions?

It's seems like pitcher, SS, CF and C are the biggest targets. I think the "middle guys" tend to be the best athletes.

All these catchers probably mean one of two things:

1. The O's don't think they can sign all these guys, and will make similar $$$ offers to several of them, signing the first few who accept the terms.

2. The O's see some of these guys as good options for other positions, and plan to move them to fill other positional areas of need.

I hope #2 is the actual plan.

Every player is different, but SEVERAL outstanding athletes were drafted as catchers and moved to another position. I'm picking some of the best here, but they include:

Dale Murphy

BJ Surhoff

Craig Biggio

Every player is different, but SEVERAL outstanding athletes were drafted as catchers and moved to another position. I'm picking some of the best here, but they include:

Dale Murphy

BJ Surhoff

Craig Biggio

Brandon Inge

Justin Morneau

Joey Votto

Daric Barton

I have no inside info, but I have to think a handful of these guys are projected at other positions.

Jimmie Foxx was also originally a catcher.

The perception that catchers are unathletic comes from the fact that the catchers who are athletic are often moved away from catching once they reach the pros.

Archived