Decision 2010: Win Now or Rendon Later?

Sanfran327

Win Now or Rendon Later?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Win Now or Rendon Later?

• Win Now
    • Rendon Later

Is anyone else feeling a little, um... bittersweet about this? I hate to say it, but I've gotten so used to the fact that this season is over. I realized this unfortunate reality at 2-16, then started looking ahead to the draft and the possibility of Rendon manning the hot corner for years to come.

Now we're winning some games, and that's always great to watch as a fan, but another unfortunate reality is that it's just too little too late. We're only one game 'ahead' in the top pick race, and I know that Pitt stinks more than we do. I don't see us ending up with the #1 pick next year.

I guess the question is whether or not you'd prefer a 100+ loss season and the top pick, or another 90 loss season, finishing dead last in the division again and 30 games out, and having a good-but-not-franchise-changing pick.

I think it's a tough decision as a fan. While I can see - and appreciate - the attitude that you can never root against your team if you're a true fan, the converse is that these wins are relatively meaningless, and all they're doing is lowering our draft position.

Thoughts?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand yours and others frustrations... but IMO how we finish this season is going to mean more than whether we get the #1 or #2 pick. For years now the O's have nose dived every single August/September. If we somehow manage to continue to play well during those months this year, it could help instill confidence heading into next season... especially if Buck is managing.

As much as getting Rendon would be good, I'm not comfortable with the Orioles laying down for anybody. They should go out and give it their best. If they don't, then it's an insult to the game.

I'd never advocate throwing games under any circumstance. I'm just trying to gauge the mood around here. Is everyone still purely in 'I want this team to win right now' mode, or are folks beginning to look towards the future at this point?

Here's where I'm at: with each win, I'm 90% 'YEAH!' and 10% 'eh'.

The realist says that no matter if we win and miss out, or we continue to be other-worldly bad, the end result is the young guys on the team gain experience and it, hopefully, sets us up for next season and beyond.

The fan in me, on the other hand, says losing sucks, and I hate it.

If the wins were coming from Millwood or Guthrie, it would be one thing, but the wins are coming from Arrieta and Tillman. While I wish it would have been Wieters and Pie that won the game for us the other night, and not Patterson and Fox, at least have potential bench bats in the future playing well.

I'd rather the core win now.

I can never root for the to play badly or lose unless it came down to the last game of the season getting us a top pick or not. (One game I could make an exception). I am very surprised (pleasantly so) how good Corey Patterson is hitting right now. If he can continue like this Roberts isn't really missed other than his glove.

Win now, that means our players are playing well. That simple. This should not even be an arguement.

Well, as Crazysilver pointed out, it kinda depends on who is winning the games. It's very encouraging that Tillman and Arrieta won back to back starts, but I could really care less what Millwood does for the rest of the way. I also think that this hot streak could be temporary, as Wigginton could be moved soon, as could Tejada, Millwood, Guts, and others.

It's not gonna matter what you want. I think it's clear with the maturation of the young pitchers we will go past the Astros and Pirates.

And that doesn't count Pie back, the addition of Fox (hopefully) and return to some semblance of what we thought with Wieters.

Plus maybe Roberts.

If we could only morph some of these players into defensive assets, althoughTejada today looked like a gold-glover.

Archived