Seriously...what is up with Wieters?

Sports Guy

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, not yet. For some reason I thought he got more money than he did, my bad.

But if he continues to play at this same level going forward and over the next years of the contract, then it's a bad contract. Because it's a back-loaded deal, his performance needs to improve it.

This is exactly right. At this point, Nick has very little trade value, as hard as that is to imagine. Nobody would like to be going forward owing him the money he has coming over the next few years, for the production he has supplied over the last two years. You can say it is because of the cast around him all day long, but that same lame excuse would then apply to all of the rest of the orioles. And Luke Scott doesn't need an excuse. He has produced despite the cast. It would not surprise me at all if Markakis has cleared waivers right now. Who would take him and the contract and give back quality players as well......Nobody. We have to hope that Nick can right the ship and become the player that I still think he can be. But as of right now, he isn't even close to what was promised.

Nick has definitely regressed a bit. Or at least hasn't performed as well as he hoped.

He's been worse in 2009 and 2010 than he was in 2007 and 2008.

As SG said, hopefully a lot of that is due to weak guys around him, but I don't really believe that. I just think Nick isn't going to develop into the perennial 875-925 OPS guy we thought he'd be when we signed him to that extension. He's still a very good player, just not sure he's going to reach that consistent All-Star level we all thought he would.

Yeah, and I told everyone here this was the case and was derided, ridiculed, scorned, mocked as clueless, told that stats proved me wrong in predicting his future sucess, blah, blah, blah. Well guess what? Who was right?:laughlol:

Yeah, and I told everyone here this was the case and was derided, ridiculed, scorned, mocked as clueless, told that stats proved me wrong in predicting his future sucess, blah, blah, blah. Well guess what? Who was right?:laughlol:

Since when was a career over at 26? Or 25, 24, and all the other years you've made the same dead horse beaten argument despite historical evidence to the contrary? Be gone, troll.

The reasons you were ridiculed about Nick were endless.

The reasons you were ridiculed about Nick were endless.

As were you and everyone else who was prematurely portraying him endlessly as a perennial Gold Glove and All-Star (hell more like superstar) player when I contantly remarked he was merely very good. AGAIN WHO WAS RIGHT?: :scratchchinhmm:Hint: It sure wasn't YOU! :P

Endlessly ridiculing someone when they end up being right doesn't justify those who were wrong. In fact, it sort of makes them look unquestionably BAD! :eek::rolleyes:

And that is where you need to man up and admit it when you are wrong like I do. How hard is that? Apparently for you and a few others its MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (start playing the theme in your head right now)!:laughlol:

I think its time to move Wieters up in the order. He is getting nothing to hit in the 7 hole with Izzy behind him. This is not his ONLY problem, but I feel its a big one. With Luke Scalding hot right now, I would move Wieters up and have this lineup...

2b: Roberts

rf: Markakis

C: Wieters

DH: Scott

1b: Wiggy

CF: Jones

lf: Pie

3b: Bell

ss: Izzy

I think its time to move Wieters up in the order. He is getting nothing to hit in the 7 hole with Izzy behind him. This is not his ONLY problem, but I feel its a big one. With Luke Scalding hot right now, I would move Wieters up and have this lineup...

2b: Roberts

rf: Markakis

C: Wieters

DH: Scott

1b: Wiggy

CF: Jones

lf: Pie

3b: Bell

ss: Izzy

Yep....I would like to see him moved to #3...Need to see if Wieters can be jump started for the last month of the season and take that into next season...Now, it didn't work this year but maybe it will next and maybe we will see him permanently moved to the #3 spot, where he says he feels the most comfortable.

I'm not sure if anyone posted this link, but Dan Moroz did a pretty in depth write up about Wieters' groundball tendencies and backed it into a thought on Matt's approach at the plate tends to be pull/power happy.

http://camdencrazies.com/2010/08/25/matt-wieters-groundballs/

I think that's something that can be adjusted for (as long as he doesn't hit up Ripken for batting tips). Basically look for solid contact up the middle then trust yourself to react on the meat pitches inside.

Archived