If the Orioles do not want to sell other team's merchandise, they would make this part of the contract and the vendors bidding would account for this and adjust their bids appropriately. To go along with the thinking that this caused the Orioles to sever ties with ARAmark you would have to believe the Orioles requested that they stop selling other team's merchandise going forward and ARAmark refused to be a part of it.

I assume that the profit that ARAmark made from other team's merchandise is a small percentage of the overall profit from the contract and it is very far fetched to think that this is the issue that caused the Orioles to decide it was no longer doing business with ARAmark.

The Orioles didn't have control over ARAmark.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you elaborate on that SG? Are you talking about what they sell or are you talking about who their vendor is?

I ask because the O's were pretty close to getting rid of them last year and I have to imagine that if need be the Orioles could dictate in their contract when it is/was renegotiated what merchandise (no NYY/BOS) Aramark could sell.

I don't mean to be out of line here but:

Sounds pretty definite there to me. Not much of a grey area.

Moose, I thought i got a confirmation from Austin, hence the rest of those posts which built off that confirmation.

My sarcasm dectector was broken. He got me.

If you'd notice, I'm not using definitive statements any longer regarding the topic...

Moose, I thought i got a confirmation from Austin, hence the rest of those posts which built off that confirmation.

My sarcasm dectector was broken. He got me.

If you'd notice, I'm not using definitive statements any longer regarding the topic...

Cool dude, you were right. I think you'd stop catching a lot of flack if you stop using definitive statements and dodging posts when people ask you to explain yourself.

Couldn't posting the same things in every thread regardless of the situation, and refusing to acknowledge or consider points to the contrary also be considered trolling? Seems like that's what OldFan always did, too ...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Trea banned and I rather enjoy what ends up happening in threads he posts in (it's entertaining). But I don't see how you're giving Trea a free pass on this one and indicting everyone else.

Have you see OldFan here lately? :scratchchinhmm:

What JTrea did was offer up an idea as to why the O's might have parted ways with Aramark. It was on-topic and not trolling even if you think it was a crazy suggestion.

He gets a free pass on this one because he didn't do anything that broke board rules.

PM me if you (or anyone else) have questions about the moderation of this message board. Thanks!

Let's get back on topic...

Aramark's gone. As soon as I find out who's replacing them I'm going to initiate my "Bring Boh's to the O's" campaign. I want a Natty Boh tap at every concession stand that sells beer.

Can you elaborate on that SG? Are you talking about what they sell or are you talking about who their vendor is?

I ask because the O's were pretty close to getting rid of them last year and I have to imagine that if need be the Orioles could dictate in their contract when it is/was renegotiated what merchandise (no NYY/BOS) Aramark could sell.

I am talking more along the lines of what they sell, prices, etc...

I know the Orioles were very frustrated with them when it came to a lot of things like this.

What JTrea did was offer up an idea as to why the O's might have parted ways with Aramark. It was on-topic and not trolling even if you think it was a crazy suggestion.

He gets a free pass on this one because he didn't do anything that broke board rules.

PM me if you (or anyone else) have questions about the moderation of this message board. Thanks!

Aramark's gone. As soon as I find out who's replacing them I'm going to initiate my "Bring Boh's to the O's" campaign. I want a Natty Boh tap at every concession stand that sells beer.

I don't even think you can get Natty Boh in kegs...but that would be awesome.

There is no reason to not serve cans of boh in the stands, the aluminum bottles are basically cans and are just as much a hazard. The problem will be price.

Every knows that Boh is the cheapest, and no one with any sense will pay $5 for a Boh. They tried that a couple years ago, it was great I was in heaven but it didn't sell as well.

I want it back too - but I doubt it will happen

I've never had a Natty Boh, but it's a shame that the stadium has neglected to include some local flavor like that over the years. Last offs eason was a step in the right direction though, and I wonder if the Aramark decision was just the next step in revamping the stadium menu to get closer to the city's roots. It was probably just a matter of waiting for their contract to expire.

Aramark is nothing but a corporate stadium/snack food conglomerate that doesn't give a hoot about food quality, just profit. They're good at what they do, they're just really bad at making good food!

I am talking more along the lines of what they sell, prices, etc...

I know the Orioles were very frustrated with them when it came to a lot of things like this.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. The Sun talked about the O's looking into other vendors last offseason but I'm guessing they either didn't get an offer they liked or Aramark made a few concessions, maybe losing a few stands to the Greene Turtle/Pastimes/etc*.

My guess would be someone stepped up and made the Orioles an offer equal to or greater than their deal with Aramark.

*Not sure if those concessions are being operated by Aramark or not. Either way, I bet Aramark lost some profits on them.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. The Sun talked about the O's looking into other vendors last offseason but I'm guessing they either didn't get an offer they liked or Aramark made a few concessions, maybe losing a few stands to the Greene Turtle/Pastimes/etc*.

My guess would be someone stepped up and made the Orioles an offer equal to or greater than their deal with Aramark.

*Not sure if those concessions are being operated by Aramark or not. Either way, I bet Aramark lost some profits on them.

I'd have to think they were run by Aramark. Attman's Deli at the ballpark is good but it's not even close to what they sell on Lombard Street. I don't know for sure but I figure "Attman's Deli" at the Warehouse is Aramark's attempt at replicating Attman's Deli with the Attman's permission.

I apologize, I really didn't mean to derail the thread. To be fair, it was 2 am and I was moderately drunk when I originally posted - I could have made the sarcasm a little bit more clear.

I generally have a rule against using smilies in my posts but maybe it's time to loosen up! :vader: :2yay-thumb:

Just my two cents regarding more local food at the stadium: I have no doubt that there is a win-win-win-win solution in there somewhere for the fans, the team, local businesses and the vendor. Under Aramark's model, there was only room for the vendor to win. The team, the fans and certainly local businesses lost out.

In the rare chance someone from the warehouse is reading this thread, I hope they give serious consideration to the local business perspective when developing the next contract.

I'd have to think they were run by Aramark. Attman's Deli at the ballpark is good but it's not even close to what they sell on Lombard Street. I don't know for sure but I figure "Attman's Deli" at the Warehouse is Aramark's attempt at replicating Attman's Deli with the Attman's permission.

Probably, but I'm sure Attman's gets some type of royalties that cuts into Aramark's profits.

Probably, but I'm sure Attman's gets some type of royalties that cuts into Aramark's profits.

Interesting way of putting that. Another way would be to say Aramark takes their cut off the top and cuts into the local business' profits.

And as is likely the case over the past few years, after Aramark takes their cut, the word "profit" would be a misnomer from the local business perspective.

Yeah, the distributors probably all end up the same anyway. Also, I think it stems from what a client specifies for their concessions.

I was reading that Levy does some of the Disney World restaurants, and I didn't believe it, since almost all the food there is fantastic.

So it may also be a case of getting what you pay for. Yes, that means we are being held out from the really good nachos (better cheese, crunchier and flakier tortilla chips) due to budgetary restrictions set by the facility.

Don't worry Buck will fix it! :rolleyes:

Archived