TiredofLosing20

We may have not been #1 on the list, but I have no doubt we were on the list.

Schmuck is just paraphrasing (poorly) how it was reported that the negotiations went down.

MacPhail backed away when he should have been persistant if he really wanted the player. The fact that he said that it "was too much to pay for one player" and later when he said they had no intent of going as high as the Yankees did to get him is enough to show the Orioles had no interest in Teixeira at the price it was going to take and weren't going to make an extra effort to land him. Only if he was wililng to take a discount, MacPhail would have signed him.

MacPhail wants premium talent to want to come to the Orioles, but he's going to have to recruit them, and he has shown no history of success in doing that. Showalter does however know how to recruit talent so hopefully we'll see a change in the passiveness of the Orioles offseason that has existed since AM has been in charge.

I bet if Showalter had been here in the 2008-2009 offseason, Tex would be an Oriole.

I knew you wouldn't dissapoint. You ignore Schmucks comments, ignore Bryant's detailed "lawyer" explanation, and instead stick to your guns that Tex should have and wanted to come here.

Someone mentioned we sticky the OP, and I agree with that, but we should also sticky your response because it sums up your mindset on a variety of subjects...ie you don't let facts (or reports in this case) get in the way of your conspiracy theories.

Its a shame I responded to this, because my initial response was gonna be...

"So does this mean Tex was NEVER at the Ravens game?"

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Showalter does however know how to recruit talent so hopefully we'll see a change in the passiveness of the Orioles offseason that has existed since AM has been in charge.

I bet if Showalter had been here in the 2008-2009 offseason, Tex would be an Oriole.

I disagree with your rationale, but having Showalter as our manager might have been attractive to Tex since he was his manager for several years in Texas and Tex appears to hold Showalter in high regard (based on what he said when the O's hired him).

I disagree with your rationale, but having Showalter as our manager might have been attractive to Tex since he was his manager for several years in Texas and Tex appears to hold Showalter in high regard (based on what he said when the O's hired him).

You may be right, but I wouldn't put any weight behind anything that Tex says. He is a hired mercenary, and I wouldn't believe a word out of his mouth.

The whole idea of this article is rather stupid. Doesn't he know that the tactic of driving up the price on free agents can be turned around on the Orioles? And, let's face it, the Yankees and Red Sox can do a lot more damage to the Orioles than the Orioles can do to them in that type of game.

I knew you wouldn't dissapoint. You ignore Schmucks comments, ignore Bryant's detailed "lawyer" explanation, and instead stick to your guns that Tex should have and wanted to come here.

Someone mentioned we sticky the OP, and I agree with that, but we should also sticky your response because it sums up your mindset on a variety of subjects...ie you don't let facts (or reports in this case) get in the way of your conspiracy theories.

Its a shame I responded to this, because my initial response was gonna be...

"So does this mean Tex was NEVER at the Ravens game?"

People are trying to explain away the Tex situation because they don't want to say that MacPhail was incompetent and totally botched the whole thing, both with Tex and the fanbase. IMO he completely misjudged Tex's market and did a poor sales job and got eliminated early in the process as a result. But not wanting to upset the fanbase he kept saying the Orioles were in it to make Tex and Boras look like the bad guys, when it wasn't the case.

Schmuck said Tex wasn't interested in losing on a rebuilding team, and I don't blame him. MacPhail should have presented a plan to show him how they were going to compete by 2010. Instead he probably showed him "the plan" which has failed to make the Orioles competitive, and when Tex saw that the Orioles weren't committed to winning he wanted no part of them as a result. And then the offer sealed the deal. The Orioles weren't committed to winning now and they weren't offering enough money. The decision to eliminate them from consideration was easy.

Anybody remember that video MacPhail made when the Orioles were off to their horrible start? You think that type of message can recruit top talent? If MacPhail couldn't sell to the fanbase, how can he sell to premium FAs?

People are trying to explain away the Tex situation because they don't want to say that MacPhail was incompetent and totally botched the whole thing, both with Tex and the fanbase. IMO he completely misjudged Tex's market and did a poor sales job and got eliminated early in the process as a result. But not wanting to upset the fanbase he kept saying the Orioles were in it to make Tex and Boras look like the bad guys, when it wasn't the case.

Schmuck said Tex wasn't interested in losing on a rebuilding team, and I don't blame him. MacPhail should have presented a plan to show him how they were going to compete by 2010. Instead he probably showed him "the plan" which has failed to make the Orioles competitive, and when Tex saw that the Orioles weren't committed to winning he wanted no part of them as a result. And then the offer sealed the deal. The Orioles weren't committed to winning now and they weren't offering enough money. The decision to eliminate them from consideration was easy.

Anybody remember that video MacPhail made when the Orioles were off to their horrible start? You think that type of message can recruit top talent? If MacPhail couldn't sell to the fanbase, how can he sell to premium FAs?

its_a_conspiracy1.jpg

Schmuck is just paraphrasing (poorly) how it was reported that the negotiations went down.

MacPhail backed away when he should have been persistant if he really wanted the player. The fact that he said that it "was too much to pay for one player" and later when he said they had no intent of going as high as the Yankees did to get him is enough to show the Orioles had no interest in Teixeira at the price it was going to take and weren't going to make an extra effort to land him. Only if he was wililng to take a discount, MacPhail would have signed him.

MacPhail wants premium talent to want to come to the Orioles, but he's going to have to recruit them, and he has shown no history of success in doing that. Showalter does however know how to recruit talent so hopefully we'll see a change in the passiveness of the Orioles offseason that has existed since AM has been in charge.

I really wish you were more careful with the things you post on here. Because of your 31k posts and that bird up there, many people on this board take what you say as gospel when those of us that visit the OH daily recognize you write based on your blinding hate of AM.

this is hysterical. how do you KNOW he is paraphrasing the negotiations poorly. That implies you know what the correct phrasing and context were.

You're the type of person that would have hanged Copernicus if you had the chance.

Here's my take...

I think the only way Tex would have considered the O's is if he had confidence that the rebuild would have created a winner immediately.

The only way AM could have given him that confidence was to throw a ton of money at Tex (> $20 million/year) AND thrown a ton of money at several other FAs simultaneously, likely creating a payroll in the neighborhood of $120 million (IIRC the numbers correctly).

Even then, it would have been incredibly difficult to convince Tex to come here, because it's really hard to have a winner in a division with the Yanks and Sox.

AM's philosophy was always to rebuild from the ground up, with young cheap players, and then to spend when we're close to having a winner.

Trea's philosophy was always to spend immediately to try to have a winner now.

AM doesn't think that's possible. Trea does. I don't think that makes Trea crazy as much as it makes him unrealistic.

Just give it a rest, your act is really getting old.

Bingo...hard to believe Boras would tell a team to stop bidding on his client..especially since Boras may need the Orioles later on for another player.

And then, maybe Tex told Boras it was the Yankees or else, and there was already a deal in place.

End of the day, my biggest issue with all of this was how AM handled it.

If Boras went to the Orioles and said, I have no interest in negotiating anymore, AM shouldn't have been telling the fans that he was ready to up his offer.

He should have just came out and said, we have been informed that Texeiria has no interest in playing in Baltimore, so we are going to move on to someone else.

That's my problem...the way it was handled and nothing Schmuck said here changes my mind on that.

Archived