TiredofLosing20

If they were told that, why would AM continue to say that they can increase their offer, etc...?

Exactly. At the time, Andy was saying things like "we're still in it until we're told otherwise," and this was right up until the Yankees announcement. I'd like to assume that Schmuck is working from a faulty memory rather than the idea that Andy was, at a minimum, intentionally misleading the fan base (or to put it bluntly, he lied). The Angels didn't mind announcing they were out of it, so similarly there was no real incentive for the O's to make false announcements that they were still in the game.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey I'll give him credit, his plan completely worked. Very few hold him responsible for the Tex mess as a result of how he spun it, and put all the blame on Tex and Boras.

It was quite masterful really...

Or, you know, perhaps AM's side of the story is a lot closer to the truth than you want to believe.

Perhaps you need to get off the horse, quit chasing windmills and join us here on planet Earth?

Hey I'll give him credit, his plan completely worked. Very few hold him responsible for the Tex mess as a result of how he spun it, and put all the blame on Tex and Boras.

It was quite masterful really...

People hold Tex responsible for how it went because he grew up in Severna Park and said he used to wear Yankees hats to Camden Yards.

Duh.

But we don't know exactly where the process stands, and I'd imagine that it's not over until it's over. We haven't been told we're not [still in it]. Until we're told we're not, we don't have any reason to believe we're not."
Source - Andy MacPhail as quoted on mlb,com, Dec 11, 2008
Despite reports to the contrary, the Baltimore Orioles are denying that they are out of the running for Mark Teixeira. According to the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles have offered seven years to the Severna Park, Md., native; the Angels, Boston Red Sox and Washington Nationals reportedly have offered eight years.

"We have indicated before that we have flexibility," Orioles President Andy MacPhail told the Sun. "I don't think anyone expects [Teixeira's agent Scott Boras] to lean over and accept the first proposal."

source - LA Times, Dec 17, 2008

Another gem from Schmuck in that article:

The free agent market is going to open for business in a couple of weeks and the Orioles need to serve notice right away that they want to be in on Cliff Lee. They need to be prepared to make a huge offer for the best pitcher available and send a message to the rest of the division that they are in this thing for the long haul.

Bartender! I'll have what he's drinking.:D

Another gem from Schmuck in that article:

Bartender! I'll have what he's drinking.:D

Well I don't think they should do it for Cliff Lee, but day one of FA, the O's need to make a 4/68 offer to Beltre.

Schmuck's idea is correct though. The Orioles have to set the market for once.

Well I don't think they should do it for Cliff Lee, but day one of FA, the O's need to make a 4/68 offer to Beltre.

Schmuck's idea is correct though. The Orioles have to set the market for once.

Ask the Rangers, Giants, and other teams how it feels to bid against yourself. Because that's exactly what that offer is akin to.

We would have been taken more seriously IMO. 8/184 off the bat would have made us a real attractive spot. Would the Yankees have matched it or beat it? Possibly, but then you could truly say the Orioles made their best effort.

You tell yourself whatever you want. You are basically assuming Tex is an extremely irrational human being. He wanted to be a Yankee. Get over it.

Trea, you can moan all you want, but the indications are that Tex didn't want to come here. I think even you would concede that we would have had to offer a lot more than 8/$180 mm to get Tex's attention. Now -- listen closely --

HE'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

Ehhhhhhhh, they were largely irrelevant given the big boys who were in on him. It only takes one team to drive up a price, and when Boston & New York are both involved (amongst others), who needs a patsy?

IIRC the Nationals were willing to spend crazy money on Teix. At least I remember it being reported that way. Who needs a patsy indeed, when one's already walking around with a big smile on his face?

Archived