Best Draft Pick by Round

Just for fun, here are what I think are the best draft picks (who were then signed) by each round (1-28) in Orioles history.

1. Mike Mussina (1990)

2. Cal Ripken (1978)

3. Eddie Murray (1973)

4. Brad Bergesen (2004)

5. Jim Johnson (2001)

6. Mike Boddicker (1978)

7. Mike Flanagan (1973)

8. Chris Britton (2001)

9. Jack Voigt (1987)

10. David Dellucci (1995)

11. Al Bumbry (1968)

12. Curtis Goodwin (1991)

13. Steve Finley (1987)

14. Ryan Kohlmeier (1996)

15. Josh Towers (1996)

16. David Hernandez (2005)

17. Gregg Zaun (1989)

18. David Segui (1987)

19. Rocky Coppinger (1993)

20. Mike Willis (1972)

21. Rich Coggins (1968)

22. Scott McClain (1990)

23. Rick Krivda (1991)

24. Willie Harris (1999)

25. John Parrish (1996)

26. D.J. Carrasco (1997)

27. Howie Clark (1992)

28. Joey Dawley (1992)

I was surprised that our best fourth-rounder so far has only been Bergesen.

But I would say that Mussina should be a HOFer. I think the voters will make him a borderline case, but if you look at the numbers and compare him to who is already in the Hall of Fame, he fits right in and is indeed better than quite a few HOF pitchers.

One of the problems the HOF voting process seems to be having is that the voters are easier on hitters than they are on pitchers, the prime example of this of course being Blyleven, who is forced to wait year after year while lesser hitters, like Rice and Dawson, keep gaining induction. It is simply easier to get either 500 HR or 3,000 hits than it is to get to 300 wins.

I would say that Mussina should be a HOFer. I think the voters will make him a borderline case, but if you look at the numbers and compare him to who is already in the Hall of Fame, he fits right in and is indeed better than quite a few HOF pitchers.

One of the problems the HOF voting process seems to be having is that the voters are easier on hitters than they are on pitchers, the prime example of this of course being Blyleven, who is forced to wait year after year while lesser hitters, like Rice and Dawson, keep gaining induction. It is simply easier to get either 500 HR or 3,000 hits than it is to get to 300 wins.

I agree with you that Mussina should be in. However, there will be quite a few pitchers up for election right around the same time as Mussina. Maddux and Glavine both last pitched in 2008. Schilling last pitched in 2007 but I'm not sure he was officially retired. Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz last pitched in 2009. So, there are more HOF candidate pitchers in the pipeline than usual. It won't surprise me if Mussina takes a back seat for a while.

Many experts think Bobby Grich belongs in the Hall and I think a case could be made for him over Mussina either way -- though I'd probably go with MM.

Per BB-ref:

Maddux 96.8 WAR

Johnson 91.8 WAR

Martinez 75.9 WAR

Mussina 74.8 WAR

Schilling 69.7 WAR

Grich 67.6 WAR

Glavine 67.0 WAR

Smoltz 63.9 WAR

Grich is no longer eligible to be voted in, but this gives some sense of how valuable a player he really was (not that HOF voters care at all about WAR).

Per BB-ref:

Maddux 96.8 WAR

Johnson 91.8 WAR

Martinez 75.9 WAR

Mussina 74.8 WAR

Schilling 69.7 WAR

Grich 67.6 WAR

Glavine 67.0 WAR

Smoltz 63.9 WAR

By the numbers, particularly winning percentage, K/BB ratio, wins, and ERA adjusted for league and park, Mussina would be a no-doubt about it Hall of Famer. The problem is that his career lacks any real signature wins or world championships. His moment came in 1997, and he seized it, but unfortunately the rest of the team didn't and the Orioles lost in the ALCS. But all the other pitchers on that list have championships. Not only do all those pitchers have championships, but all of them played decisive roles in getting championships (especially Schilling, who did it for two different franchises).

Mussina also had a moment in 2003. He was the one who came in relief in Game 7 of the ALCS to save the Yankees and allow for that comeback, and he outpitched Beckett in Game 3 of the World Series. He would have started Game 7 had Beckett not won the series for the Marlins in 6.

I think Mussina someday gets into the HOF but the writers won't put him in before any of those other pitchers on that list. He will have to wait a number of years.

By the numbers, particularly winning percentage, K/BB ratio, wins, and ERA adjusted for league and park, Mussina would be a no-doubt about it Hall of Famer. The problem is that his career lacks any real signature wins or world championships. His moment came in 1997, and he seized it, but unfortunately the rest of the team didn't and the Orioles lost in the ALCS. But all the other pitchers on that list have championships. Not only do all those pitchers have championships, but all of them played decisive roles in getting championships (especially Schilling, who did it for two different franchises).

Mussina also had a moment in 2003. He was the one who came in relief in Game 7 of the ALCS to save the Yankees and allow for that comeback, and he outpitched Beckett in Game 3 of the World Series. He would have started Game 7 had Beckett not won the series for the Marlins in 6.

I think Mussina someday gets into the HOF but the writers won't put him in before any of those other pitchers on that list. He will have to wait a number of years.

The lack of a Cy Young award or two also hurts him. At least he got the "no 20 win seasons" monkey off his back in his final year. To me, he almost deserves to go into the Hall just for being one of the very few players who ever retired while he was still a very good player. You don't see it often.

Will Mussina in case he gets in the HOF go as an Oriole or Yankee? Can he chose or who will decide this?

I think he can give a preference, but the Hall decides. It's a close call as to who he goes in with, he spent more time with the O's, and had better numbers. But, it is the Yanks.

Will Mussina in case he gets in the HOF go as an Oriole or Yankee? Can he chose or who will decide this?

The HOF decides but they consider the player's wishes. I am sure Mussina will prefer to go in as a Yankee, as I think he feels he was underappreciated by Peter Angelos and treated poorly in the year-long negotiations that led to his departure.

The HOF decides but they consider the player's wishes. I am sure Mussina will prefer to go in as a Yankee, as I think he feels he was underappreciated by Peter Angelos and treated poorly in the year-long negotiations that led to his departure.

Of course, there is still a long time between now and when he goes in. Maybe a spot in the Orioles Hall of Fame mends some fences.

Of course, there is still a long time between now and when he goes in. Maybe a spot in the Orioles Hall of Fame mends some fences.

Well, it may. But having read "Living on the Black," it's pretty clear to me that Mussina really had a good relationship with Yankee management and the fans there. I'm pretty sure which way he'd vote. But he did spend more years, win more games and pitch better in Baltimore, so the HOF will have to consider that.

Archived