Terps headed to Military Bowl

Sports Guy

I am a WVU alumni, season ticket holder and huge fan....

I will say this... The terps got screwed on this deal. Id rather play a second time in the Champs bolw than NC State...

Granted ECU is a spread attack offense, but seriously you go 8-4 and you get shafted... pretty ****ty IMO

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a BC Alum...I feel the Terps pain. BC in the late from 1999-2007 had an 8 bowl game win streak mainly because we kept facing inferior opponents. We were always among the last selected for bowls because we don't travel well. We still are among the last selected and this season we weren't even selected for the 8 game ACC allotment as we were passed by both Clemson (whom we beat) and GT for bowls.

I can't complain too much this year, because we ended up with a better bowl opponent, albeit because the Pac-10 couldn't fill their allotment. Though I hate the timing and location of the Kraft Bowl.

So enjoy playing close to home. And buy those tickets...if you can't sell well for a game in your backyard, you will suffer more in future bowl selections.

As a BC Alum...I feel the Terps pain. BC in the late from 1999-2007 had an 8 bowl game win streak mainly because we kept facing inferior opponents. We were always among the last selected for bowls because we don't travel well. We still are among the last selected and this season we weren't even selected for the 8 game ACC allotment as we were passed by both Clemson (whom we beat) and GT for bowls.

I can't complain too much this year, because we ended up with a better bowl opponent, albeit because the Pac-10 couldn't fill their allotment. Though I hate the timing and location of the Kraft Bowl.

So enjoy playing close to home. And buy those tickets...if you can't sell well for a game in your backyard, you will suffer more in future bowl selections.

No reason why they shouldnt be able to sell in there own backyard... they talked about that was a reason for this years bowl selection is because of the lack of sale and travel base...

I went to that bowl when MD played in it in 2007 (it was known as the Emerald Bowl then) and I have to say it was a very enjoyable time and if there's any way you can go, I'd recommend it. The weather in SF can be a little bit chilly and damp that time of year...but still much more mild than the east coast. SF is a great city and AT&T Park is perfectly located and is not as bad as you might think for football....although it is quite weird seeing both teams sharing the same sideline.

No reason why they shouldnt be able to sell in there own backyard... they talked about that was a reason for this years bowl selection is because of the lack of sale and travel base...

It's also on a weekday afternoon, in bitter cold weather and a decrepit pit of a stadium. I also saw where the tickets cost $90/ea for the good seats (if there is such a thing in RFK) and $55/ea for the cheap seats. What a sham! I do hope MD fans show up for the game, but would totally understand if they don't.

Unfortunately the program is in a no-win situation here. If they sell lots of seats, bowl committees will just say "Well, they should have. It's right in their back yard." and it won't do anything to change the prevailing opinion that MD doesn't travel. On the other hand, if they can't sell many tickets then you can rest assured that the only way MD won't be playing in the crap bowls every year is if they win the whole ACC.

Financially, Maryland will make out like a bandit. The Military Bowl offers a $1M payout to each team -- less than the Champs Sports Bowl or the Music City Bowl, but equal to the Meineke Car Care Bowl. And since the Terps will have $ZERO in travel expenses, they get to bank almost all the money.

Wish they would move the game to M & T Stadium.

It's also on a weekday afternoon' date=' in bitter cold weather and a decrepit pit of a stadium. I also saw where the tickets cost $90/ea for the good seats (if there is such a thing in RFK) and $55/ea for the cheap seats. What a sham! I do hope MD fans show up for the game, but would totally understand if they don't.

[/quote']

I heard there were also $25 seats in the end zone upper-deck. So if your budget conscious, there is an option. Either way, it's a crappy stadium and $90 seems a little crazy at that stadium.

Regarding the Emerald Bowl...BC actually played USC there last year and all reports from fans and the school were positive. Unfortunately, finances and timing (read: can't get off of work) won't allow me to go, so I will be watching from home again.

I heard there were also $25 seats in the end zone upper-deck. So if your budget conscious, there is an option. Either way, it's a crappy stadium and $90 seems a little crazy at that stadium.

Regarding the Emerald Bowl...BC actually played USC there last year and all reports from fans and the school were positive. Unfortunately, finances and timing (read: can't get off of work) won't allow me to go, so I will be watching from home again.

I also heard about the $25 seats, and apparently those are sold only through the bowl game, so they wouldn't count among the 10,000 tickets that UM has to try and unload. Not that anyone should feel obligated to buy from the university at those prices for such a putrid game, but it doesn't help UM any if you buy them directly from the bowl game, StubHub, Ebay, scalpers, etc.

It's also on a weekday afternoon' date=' in bitter cold weather and a decrepit pit of a stadium. I also saw where the tickets cost $90/ea for the good seats (if there is such a thing in RFK) and $55/ea for the cheap seats. What a sham! I do hope MD fans show up for the game, but would totally understand if they don't.

Unfortunately the program is in a no-win situation here. If they sell lots of seats, bowl committees will just say "Well, they should have. It's right in their back yard." and it won't do anything to change the prevailing opinion that MD doesn't travel. On the other hand, if they can't sell many tickets then you can rest assured that the only way MD won't be playing in the crap bowls every year is if they win the whole ACC.[/quote']

Well the prices for those tickets are nuts

Financially, Maryland will make out like a bandit. The Military Bowl offers a $1M payout to each team -- less than the Champs Sports Bowl or the Music City Bowl, but equal to the Meineke Car Care Bowl. And since the Terps will have $ZERO in travel expenses, they get to bank almost all the money.

Champs Sports Bowl- ACC v Big Ten - ESPN - $2.25 million

thats in correct on the 1 mil

Champs Sports Bowl- ACC v Big Ten - ESPN - $2.25 million

thats in correct on the 1 mil

All olehippi said was the Military Bowl pays out less than the Champs Sports Bowl. $1 mil < $2.25 mil. Also, you're info on the Champs Sports Bowl appears to be dated, is it no longer features a Big 10 team.

All olehippi said was the Military Bowl pays out less than the Champs Sports Bowl. $1 mil < $2.25 mil. Also' date=' you're info on the Champs Sports Bowl appears to be dated, is it no longer features a Big 10 team.[/quote']

sorry 2.4 mil

I also heard about the $25 seats' date=' and apparently those are sold only through the bowl game, so they wouldn't count among the 10,000 tickets that UM has to try and unload. Not that anyone should feel obligated to buy from the university at those prices for such a putrid game, but it doesn't help UM any if you buy them directly from the bowl game, StubHub, Ebay, scalpers, etc.[/quote']

I believe you can donate $25 tickets that count towards MD's total. Have to do it through MD's website.

And for those thinking about going, the best thing you can do is order tickets through MD's athletic department. Yeah they're a rip off, but MD is forced to buy 10,000 tickets (bowls are just big shakedowns) and whatever they don't sell they're forced to eat.

Tickets can be found cheaper, but then you're only putting money into the bowls pockets instead of helping put money into MD's pockets.

And if you can't make it consider donating tickets through the MD athletic department. They're tax deductible, MD gets credit for them, and you're helping out those less fortunate during the holiday season!

I believe you can donate $25 tickets that count towards MD's total. Have to do it through MD's website.

And for those thinking about going, the best thing you can do is order tickets through MD's athletic department. Yeah they're a rip off, but MD is forced to buy 10,000 tickets (bowls are just big shakedowns) and whatever they don't sell they're forced to eat.

Tickets can be found cheaper, but then you're only putting money into the bowls pockets instead of helping put money into MD's pockets.

And if you can't make it consider donating tickets through the MD athletic department. They're tax deductible, MD gets credit for them, and you're helping out those less fortunate during the holiday season!

I figure with the greatly reduced travel costs of this game any unsold tickets for UM should be a wash.

Archived