Zrebiec: At impasse with LaRoche; turning attention to Lee

section36

LaRoche is drunk if he thinks he should get more than 3/21. He's criminally insane if he thinks he's should get 10 million a year for three years, which is the same in yearly value as Carlos Pena's contract.

Pena's best years in WAR value:

2007: 5.9

2008: 2.8

2009: 2.9

LaRoche's best years in WAR value: 2.6, 1.7, 1.6. He had a 1.2 last year, which is basically the same as Pena's "down" year of 1.1. Pena had been better in WAR value since 2006.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do however find it kind of strange, that things have been so quiet though. Usually around this time of year, they throw us a bone with a reliever or washed up player. I can remember Sosa, and rumors of Gonzo, "Oh, where have all of the good times gone" ? lol

Maybe MacPhail does have a bag of tricks up his sleeve, but as of right now, it looks like the same worn out .5 cent tricks that can be learned at your local magic shop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you feed a starving man a cracker, it's bound to taste like a Ritz"

Eddie Murphy

So, you chose the "Ignore the point I made while ignoring the fact that they've already shored up third and short, but not letting that stop you from criticizing the team being inactive" route. Well played. Nothing you said made a lick of sense, but well played.

I do however find it kind of strange, that things have been so quiet though. Usually around this time of year, they throw us a bone with a reliever or washed up player. I can remember Sosa, and rumors of Gonzo, "Oh, where have all of the good times gone" ? lol

Maybe MacPhail does have a bag of tricks up his sleeve, but as of right now, it looks like the same worn out .5 cent tricks that can be learned at your local magic shop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you feed a starving man a cracker, it's bound to taste like a Ritz"

Eddie Murphy

Do I have this right? You'd prefer a crappy signing over waiting out a mediocre guy making outrageous salary demands?

I'd like to tell you guys something funny that happened to me today:

I was at Sheetz getting gas, and was standing in line behind a guy wearing a Pirates jersey ("Poor guy"), and asked him if he was a big fan.

He responded that he was, and goes to alot of Pirate's games when he can get back to Pittsburgh (he said he was from there). He told me that he has the MLB package to be able to see his Pirates because they stink, and the games usually aren't aired around here. I kept talking with him about understanding his pain with supporting a losing team, and explained our dire straits also.

I told him that there has been alot of talk on the message board that I frequent, about the possibility of adding Laroche or Lee, and that I'm not too popular on the board with my support of one, when most of the board supports the other.

He asked me which side I was for and I told him Laroche. His response kinda floored me.

He said, and I quote "If I were you, I would go back to that board, beg for each member to forgive you". Of course I was kinda laughing, but was curious why he would say that, so I asked. He told me that he has always been a Pirate's fan, and wished that when they got Laroche, that they had the option of Lee also because Laroche was one of the biggest flops to ever wear a Pirate's uniform. I was wondering if he hated Laroche, and maybe he was just angry that they had gotten him, and he said that he was actually happy when they got him, but was glad when he was gone.

I shouldn't tell you this story, because I'm sure I'll get the 3rd degree by just being honest, but as thick headed as I am, I might have to be forced to support the Lee route instead. I still like Laroche, and am not completely backtracking, but to hear a fan of a team as equally poopy as our's say that he would never get Laroche if he could have Lee instead, really got me thinking. I'm now on board for either, but hopefully not bad in the board's eye's for wanting one or the other. We'll call it my "Maybe2050 was wrong"

I think it was implied that he wanted 3 years and 10 per. Maybe I read it wrong.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzYRvaD-xkQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzYRvaD-xkQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'd like to tell you guys something funny that happened to me today:

I was at Sheetz getting gas, and was standing in line behind a guy wearing a Pirates jersey ("Poor guy"), and asked him if he was a big fan.

He responded that he was, and goes to alot of Pirate's games when he can get back to Pittsburgh (he said he was from there). He told me that he has the MLB package to be able to see his Pirates because they stink, and the games usually aren't aired around here. I kept talking with him about understanding his pain with supporting a losing team, and explained our dire straits also.

I told him that there has been alot of talk on the message board that I frequent, about the possibility of adding Laroche or Lee, and that I'm not too popular on the board with my support of one, when most of the board supports the other.

He asked me which side I was for and I told him Laroche. His response kinda floored me.

He said, and I quote "If I were you, I would go back to that board, beg for each member to forgive you". Of course I was kinda laughing, but was curious why he would say that, so I asked. He told me that he has always been a Pirate's fan, and wished that when they got Laroche, that they had the option of Lee also because Laroche was one of the biggest flops to ever wear a Pirate's uniform. I was wondering if he hated Laroche, and maybe he was just angry that they had gotten him, and he said that he was actually happy when they got him, but was glad when he was gone.

I shouldn't tell you this story, because I'm sure I'll get the 3rd degree by just being honest, but as thick headed as I am, I might have to be forced to support the Lee route instead. I still like Laroche, and am not completely backtracking, but to hear a fan of a team as equally poopy as our's say that he would never get Laroche if he could have Lee instead, really got me thinking. I'm now on board for either, but hopefully not bad in the board's eye's for wanting one or the other. We'll call it my "Maybe2050 was wrong"

I can't tell you the number of times I've kicked myself for ignoring the advice of strangers at gas stations. I mean...what if Sally really did possess the key to a good time? What if...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzYRvaD-xkQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzYRvaD-xkQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

LOL. For once you guys won't get an argument here. 3/30 would be stupid, BUT, he never said he wants a 3 year deal for $10 million a year, he simply is having words put into his mouth. The Twitter message said "Adam saw what Pena got ". As unpopular as this will be: If he actually has these thoughts in his head, he got them for a reason. Pena did get that contract, and Laroche's stats dwarfed Pena's in my mind. I say 3/24 is fair, and agree with the people that did say that. MacPhail needs to make a choice. Either pay a good player a good salary, or always be labeled a team that will always settle for the bottom of the scrap heap. Vlad will resign with Texas , and I gotta agree that Lee for 2/18 sounds like the best deal he could offer right now.

Wow, this is rediculous. How long does it take to sign a 1st baseman? They need to do something soon.

Pet peeve..."rediculous" is probably the most frequently misspelled word on the board. Drives me crazy every time I read this ridiculous misspelling. ;)

For anyone with ESPN Insider, Buster's latest includes "a possible 1B solution for the Padres". Does he give an idea on who the Padres are focusing on or is he suggesting they go after someone?

The article mentions a possible Branyan/Blanks platoon. The Padres are likely looking for a cheaper one-year solution.

Archived