Point Blank. Our Opening Day first baseman will be...

shorty122dude

Honest Answer: Our OD First baseman will be...  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Honest Answer: Our OD First baseman will be...

• Adam LaRoche
    • Derrek Lee
    • Luke Scott
    • Billy Butler
    • Other (please specify)

"BTW, way to conveniently leave Bell out of your analysis"

I conveniently left Bell out for the same reason that you won't allow the strike outs to be considered. I'd take the guy with 72 more hits opposed to one that has led the league in strike outs 3 years running every time. And BTW, was I the one that let Tejada go, and put Bell there like an idiot?

You should really learn how to have a complete thought instead of editing every single post.

Tejada wasn't that great and was brought in to be a stop-gap. The Orioles acquired a decent pitching prospect and put Bell there expecting him to not sink like he did.

But, the Orioles rectified the situation by getting Reynolds, who even though you don't acknowledge it, is better than Tejada.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To get on base. 72 more hits by Tejada, and higher average show me he did it at a more consistent basis

Reynolds got on base at a .334 clip, while Tejada was only at .317.

You get on base with hits, walks, and hit by pitch. Reynolds had the lower average, but had a significant amount of walks (would have led the Orioles in 2010).

Besides the fact that the only upgrade they've done this year comes from the shortstop position, I'd say Laroche or Lee is a must, but I chose Scott, because MacPhail is as consistent at improving this club, as Reynolds will be with the bat.

Do you understand that you really have no idea what you are talking about? I mean, do you think you are a knowledgeable fan?

To say Reynolds isn't an upgrade over what we had last year is one of the poorest comments ever made on this board. It simply defies everything intelligent and logical.

I can't see how it won't be one of Lee or LaRoche. They have nowhere else to sign, unless they want to be a DH for one year for less money. I think Lee will sign with DC because they want him for one year like we do, and will be after Fielder next season, and he prefers the NL. LaRoche will sign with us because we will give him more than one year at 7MM +.

Seems very logical if Lee gets to pick.

Another line of thinking is that the Nats have two righties in Werth and Zimmerman and they will pick a lefty to put between them - LaRoche. Morse their next best hitter is righthanded.

I don't pretend to know what the Nationals will do. But it would seem that the Nationals get to pick between LaRoche and Lee and the O's get that guy that is still available. Both LaRoche and Lee are familar with the NL and it is an easier league to hit in when they are not playing the Phillies.

Do you understand that you really have no idea what you are talking about? I mean, do you think you are a knowledgeable fan?

To say Reynolds isn't an upgrade over what we had last year is one of the poorest comments ever made on this board. It simply defies everything intelligent and logical.

You must not have got to his "analysis" post.

Please have a fresh pair of underwear ready.

I'm waiting. What is the primary job of the hitter in the game of baseball?
This is actually a good question that has no easy answer IMO. Many would say make the fewest outs(OBP), some would say make the fewest unproductive outs(QAB) , some would still say hitting is about getting the most hits(Ichiro). Some would point to OPS, some wOBA. Personally I would be looking for the best combination of BA, OBP and QAB's. SLG is overated IMO.

You should really learn how to have a complete thought instead of editing every single post.

Tejada wasn't that great and was brought in to be a stop-gap. The Orioles acquired a decent pitching prospect and put Bell there expecting him to not sink like he did.

But, the Orioles rectified the situation by getting Reynolds, who even though you don't acknowledge it, is better than Tejada.

So what you are saying, is that you are content with having Reynolds as a long term solution at 3rd? I have higher expectations, that is the diffrence. Beltre would have been the fill at 3rd to be made, but we all know the C word that led to it being Reynolds opposed to Beltre. Ever wonder why 3rd was the first thing addressed? I believe it was to say "Now we don't have to add a $ guy like Beltre"

So what you are saying, is that you are content with having Reynolds as a long term solution at 3rd? I have higher expectations, that is the diffrence. Beltre would have been the fill at 3rd to be made, but we all know the C word that led to it being Reynolds opposed to Beltre. Ever wonder why 3rd was the first thing addressed? I believe it was to say "Now we don't have to add a $ guy like Beltre"

Yes, I am very excited and happy to have Reynolds for the next few seasons. He will be the major power threat this team needed. It would be great if he had a higher average and had fewer strike-outs, but K's are over-rated and he walks significantly enough to make up for the low average.

And Reynolds isn't actually a cheap option. He did cost our most valuable trade chip in Hernandez and will cost close to $23M over the next three seasons.

Please combine Tejeda's and Reynold's last 2 years and do the stat comparison.

This is actually a good question that has no easy answer IMO. Many would say make the fewest outs(OBP), some would say make the fewest unproductive outs(QAB) , some would still say hitting is about getting the most hits(Ichiro). Some would point to OPS, some wOBA. Personally I would be looking for the best combination of BA, OBP and QAB's. SLG is overated IMO.

Well, I'd say this. I'd trade Reynolds, Tejada and Bell for Ichiro with what his hits provide for a team. Some people will have to see what frustration that Reynolds will provide before agreeing with me. Welcome to Ryan Minor #2

Well, I'd say this. I'd trade Reynolds, Tejada and Bell for Ichiro with what his hits provide for a team. Some people will have to see what frustration that Reynolds will provide before agreeing with me. Welcome to Ryan Minor #2

You keep proving that you don't understand a damned thing about baseball. Or that you are missing part of your frontal lobe.

To get on base. 72 more hits by Tejada, and higher average shows me he did it at a more consistent basis

Wrong.

The primary goal of the batter is to not create outs. Of course as Crazysilver has already pointed out, if it was getting on base then Reynolds was better then Tejada.

Do you know what Reynolds hardly ever does that Tejada does a lot? GIDP, each GIDP counts as two outs, Tejada had 16 last season, Reynolds had 8. Heck Reynolds only has 31 GIDP for his career, Tejada had 32 in 2008 alone.

Edit- El Gordo, I was trying to keep things at a basic level for our new friend.

Reynolds got on base at a .334 clip, while Tejada was only at .317.

You get on base with hits, walks, and hit by pitch. Reynolds had the lower average, but had a significant amount of walks (would have led the Orioles in 2010).

He also would have led in strikeouts and men left on base

Archived