Quote Originally Posted by Os84 View Post
    I feel a trade coming on.
    That's what Frobby said when we signed Chen, but Duq just keeps shedding the 40-man dead weight instead.

Quote Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
    He can stand on third base, and hits righties to the tune of .292/.363/.486 from 2009-2011. He's the corner IF backup/righty platoon with Davis.

What this really does, barring injury, is squeeze Flaherty off the roster.
    I think this is spot on, and that's why I don't like it. Dude had a .391 BABIP last year. He's going to come back to earth and has no long-term upside.

Assuming Reynolds, Davis and Betemit have 3B/1B/DH covered, that leaves a bench with Chavez and Teagarden as locks. If Roberts is injured, Antonelli makes it (I believe he has a ML deal too?). The last spot goes down to Flaherty and Jai Miller in ST.

Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Bah. Seems like this sure kills any chance at Fielder, not that there was one before I suppose. Is he our DH?
    Connolly says no connection: "To answer some ?s on Betemit. Has no connection to Fielder. if Fielder's price falls dramatically, they'll still pursue. Betemit a DH 2"

Saintbird is offline Plus Member since August 2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    @MLBInsideNews

Wilson Betemit has failed his physical. Nationals are now the favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintbird View Post
    @MLBInsideNews

Wilson Betemit has failed his physical. Nationals are now the favorite.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    He can stand on third base, and hits righties to the tune of .292/.363/.486 from 2009-2011. He's the corner IF backup/righty platoon with Davis.

Not necessarily. Andino, Flaherty, and Antonelli will compete for starting 2B. One will become the UTIF. The other one will compete with Miller for the 4th spot on the bench. You have Teagarden, UTIF, Chavez 4th OF, one of Miller and whomever loses out on the 2B/UTIF job, competing. Both are RH bats and would platoon with Betemit at DH.
    Last edited by El Gordo; 01-23-2012 at 11:16 PM.

I guess my qustion regarding this signing is would you rather have Luke Scott? I believe I would, especially if this is our starting DH.

McNulty is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Typically they have gone with a 4 man bench.

Wieters, Davis, Antonelli, Hardy, Reynolds, Reimold, Jones, Nick and Betemit as the starting 9.

That leaves Chavez, Teagarden, Andino. As stated above, that leaves the last spot between Flaherty and Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlebowl View Post
    I guess my qustion regarding this signing is would you rather have Luke Scott? I believe I would, especially if this is our starting DH.
    He is healthy. We are uncertain if Luke is. He can certainly not play any position yet. I suspect Betemit is playing for less than 6.3 million?

OrangeJerseys is online now Plus Member since 02/07 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Got him.

nate22 is offline Plus Member since 05/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Not necessarily. If DD wants to keep Flaherty and have the option of demoting him, he can always try and work out a deal with the Cubs.

Feeling like Moneyball, now we just need Guthrie/Matsuz/Britton to turn into Mulder/Zito/Hudson.

McNulty is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Not necessarily. Andino, Flaherty, and Antonelli will compete for starting 2B. One will become the UTIF. The other one will compete with Miller for the 4th spot on the bench. You have Teagarden, UTIF, Chavez 4th OF, one of Miller and whomever loses out on the 2B/UTIF job, competing. Both are RH bats and would platoon with Betemit at DH.
    I just think they'd rather have a 5th OF rather than a guy who can barely play 2B/3B. And that's my opinion from watching him in college.

Quote Originally Posted by nate22 View Post
    Not necessarily. If DD wants to keep Flaherty and have the option of demoting him, he can always try and work out a deal with the Cubs.
    Oh no doubt. He's good depth.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    He is healthy. We are uncertain if Luke is. He can certainly not play any position yet. I suspect Betemit is playing for less than 6.3 million?
    So you are saying we are taking the cheap option, with limited upside. Gee there is something new for this organization.

I'm not saying Betemit is a bad signing, it just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJerseys View Post
    Got him.

Thank you.