2018 20th Round (595) Caleb Kilian - RHS - Texas Tech (TX)

Draft Eligible Sophomore

6' 4 180lbs DOB: 06/02/97

Luke’s Take: Kilian split time between the bullpen and the rotation for Texas Tech. He’s touched 96 with his FB and has a good changeup with plus potential.  He also throws a slow curve and a slider, both are currently fringy pitches. He has a good pitcher’s frame with room to add strength but doesn’t have an athletic delivery so I’m not sure if he’s ever going to have average command. None the less, he would be a great get this late in the draft if he’s signable. It’ll likely take overslot money to ink the draft eligible Sophomore.

11 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I've only watched the 4th and 5th innings and he's been getting shelled.  Every ball has been hit pretty hard off him these two innings.

He was evidently nails for three innings. On a positive note, improves his signability!

• 2 weeks later...

Watched first three innings of his start a couple days ago; he had much better stuff than his previous outing.  Fastball was sitting 92-94 and occasionally touching 96; big breaking 12-6 curveball; mediocre change.  However, command seemed to come and go, along with his mechanics and release point.  Even though he's a third year college player, I'd look at him more like a HS project.  He's tall and skinny with good velocity, but needs a lot of work on repeating mechanics and command/control.  I think it will be very hard for us to sign him.  We won't have much pool money, if any, left to give him significant overslot.  If he returns for his junior year and improves his command/mechanics, he has the talent to be drafted in the top 5 rounds.

6 hours ago, Otter said:

Watched first three innings of his start a couple days ago; he had much better stuff than his previous outing.  Fastball was sitting 92-94 and occasionally touching 96; big breaking 12-6 curveball; mediocre change.  However, command seemed to come and go, along with his mechanics and release point.  Even though he's a third year college player, I'd look at him more like a HS project.  He's tall and skinny with good velocity, but needs a lot of work on repeating mechanics and command/control.  I think it will be very hard for us to sign him.  We won't have much pool money, if any, left to give him significant overslot.  If he returns for his junior year and improves his command/mechanics, he has the talent to be drafted in the top 5 rounds.

Pretty similar to my take after seeing that start.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived