O's have made final offer to vlad

Guest Hayden2004

Fair enough... take it or leave it.

My point was that a lot of media was saying that Orioles were 'close' or that the talks were 'progessing'. Not that they weren't interested. Vlad could very well end up signing, but the way some of the news was coming out about this closeness to signing was wrong as of the other day.

There have been zero reports on this, but I did mention close to a week ago that the Orioles were receiving a lot of calls on Luke Scott all of the sudden. Now, that doesn't mean the Orioles are shopping him or are even ready to trade him. But this leads me to believe that the industry believes that the Orioles will ultimately sign Vlad.

If people want to wait for a national writer to break every single 'leak', then go for it...

I'll continue to pass a long what it is I hear... and I'll reiterate, take it or leave it.

I personally will take it. Thanks for passing on what you hear here. I hope you hear about a done deal soon.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was that a lot of media was saying that Orioles were 'close' or that the talks were 'progessing'. Not that they weren't interested. Vlad could very well end up signing, but the way some of the news was coming out about this closeness to signing was wrong as of the other day.

There have been zero reports on this, but I did mention close to a week ago that the Orioles were receiving a lot of calls on Luke Scott all of the sudden. Now, that doesn't mean the Orioles are shopping him or are even ready to trade him. But this leads me to believe that the industry believes that the Orioles will ultimately sign Vlad.

If people want to wait for a national writer to break every single 'leak', then go for it...

I'll continue to pass a long what it is I hear... and I'll reiterate, take it or leave it.

Well, obviously it hasn't happened yet, and may or may not. But, could it be that the O's and Vlad were close, and something happened that caused it to fall apart? I'm not ragging on you. But, ive read this site for years, and if i believed everyone that had a "source", Tex would be our starting 1B, and AJ Burnett our overpaid mess of a contract. I think alot of people became weary of the "insiders" after the Tex drama.

I don't want you to think I don't appreciate anything you pass along. That's not true at all.

The local media reports are in line with this....they say there is no sense that Vlad is in any hurry.

Have you heard anything about Scott being traded for a pitcher? Does signing Duchscherer change anything? Don't you think the O's are in a good position to get Vlad,he has perhaps one other suitor? Are you hearing any pitchers we might trade for? Does the lefty minor league contract talks involve Hendrickson, Schoeneweis or Mahay?

Have you heard anything about Scott being traded for a pitcher? Does signing Duchscherer change anything? Don't you think the O's are in a good position to get Vlad,he has perhaps one other suitor? Are you hearing any pitchers we might trade for? Does the lefty minor league contract talks involve Hendrickson, Schoeneweis or Mahay?

Are you hearing we are going after a big name pitcher? I'm assuming you are talking about another starter.

Any of those lefties would be fine with me if we're definitely looking at getting one.

Just a Vlad related update: Roy was on XM just now, doing a terrific Howard Cosell introducing our new IF. He started interviewing Bowden, and really held his feet to the fire over Bowden's Vlad tweet, and AM "ego getting in the way" remark. Bowden squirmed, but couldn't weasle his way out. Great stuff Roy!:rofl::smile11::2yay-thumb::beerchug1:

Just a Vlad related update: Roy was on XM just now, doing a terrific Howard Cosell introducing our new IF. He started interviewing Bowden, and really held his feet to the fire over Bowden's Vlad tweet, and AM "ego getting in the way" remark. Bowden squirmed, but couldn't weasle his way out. Great stuff Roy!:rofl::smile11::2yay-thumb::beerchug1:

LOL!!!:laughlol:

GO ROY!:clap3:

Well AM likes to go after bargains. Anyone who has looked at his GM history should be able to see that.

Its a method that is good and bad. Its good because you identify players that have been very good but just had an off year. Those guys are likely to bounce back but sometimes, they are just in a decline.

I remember after Konerko had a poor year(2003?), i was in favor of trading for him when it was being said that the WS wanted to get rid of his salary. Many people didn't want to do that because of that one horrendous year.

Sometimes, those risks will greatly pay off for you..sometimes they won't.

Its not a bad strategy at all..the problem with the strategy is what do you do when those players don't pan out? Some teams can just dip down into their system and call someone up. Maybe its a little earlier than they would like but at least the talent is there...the Orioles can't do that and that's the big problem.

The problem with "value" moves in baseball is the same as it is in investing. "Value" plays have a frustrating tendency to become even deeper values after you buy them... In other words, supposedly cheap stocks often see their prices drop even further, because the flaws that were priced into them were actual flaws... In other words, the market is usually right.

The other problem is, you can wait and wait for something to skyrocket - like some Microsoft stock, or Felix Pie - and you're losing money the whole way because of something called opportunity cost. You've tied up your money, hopes, or roster spots in a position that really should be performing much better - it SHOULD be, but it's not. But you hold on, and you never cut your losses until it's way too late. (Not that I think we should cut Pie, by the way... just using this for the sake of argument.)

This is why I'm very meh on this whole bargain-obsessed approach.

Whether you like AM or not, it's hard to look at Bowden's "ego" comment as anything else then misplaced and rude. Thanks Roy, for keeping Bowden's ego in check.

really don't understand what Vlad is waiting around for.......appears he doesn't want to play here in Bmore I guess huh :scratchchinhmm: (like we all don't realize that right?)

I think he may want to wait until a couple of weeks into Spring Training to see if any other teams have injuries or a change of heart.

Do you really think Vlad dreads the thought of having to sign here?

I think it's pretty obvious that he really doesn't want to play here. If he did, he would be signed by this point. Simple as that.

I honestly think Vlad views playing for the Orioles as an absolute last resort.

Archived