If you were the GM, would you put Britton on the OD roster, or wait?

Frobby

If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster  

214 members have voted

1. 1. If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster

• Yes - give the team the best chance to win now
    • No - get the extra year of control by waiting until April 21 or later

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were the GM, would you put Britton on the OD roster, or wait ?

Give it a few more days, and see how many more of our starting pitchers gets hit by a line drive up the middle. If one or two more Oriole starters get nailed, then sure, put him on opening day roster.

He chose Scott Boras. Most business issues that involve his tenure will be shaded with that in mind.
Exactly. If he wants to play hard ball by choosing Boras, then don't whine when the O's play hard ball back. Lost some repect for this kid.

This is actually a better argument to keep him down and get the extra year. This fall they'll negotiate the new CBA. It's widely thought that these issues will be fixed. So this is our last chance to take advantage of this loophole.

Unless the new CBA doesn't treat these guys under the same rules that apply now when the time comes for FA in 6 years? Who knows. I probably wouldn't bring him up and I would tell him that I agree that it sucks that I (as GM) hate that it has to be this way and promise to do everything in my power to change the system in the future.

This stinks for fans too. What a crock that we can't see the best players on the field because of a stupid rule that allows teams to keep a guy for an extra year.

It saddens me that fans are actually rooting for the possiblity of our team not being as good as it can be to start the season.

I don't know why anybody would want to see a pitcher of Britton's caliber not help the team try to win out of the gate.

I cry myself to sleep every night over that very thing. My God, what lunatic wouldn't trade a whole year of Britton for the chance to finish 16 games out of first instead of 17?

Other teams have done this with their young stars and thier young stars were probably frustrated about it like Britton is but they got over it. I see both sides of it. I see a baseball player who is eager to prove himself as a big leaguer and wants to be with his new teammates immediately but I also see a business who knows due to this rule that they can keep a potential very special player for an extra year if they wait a few weeks. It really isn't that complicated to me. If the rule didn't exist, I know I'd be on the wagon to have him as part of our OD roster. And finally those who think they can guarantee we'd win if Britton pitches are being silly. He's a better pitcher than Tillman and Bergy right now no disagreement but there are a lot of other factors that go in to games too. As I said, if the rule didn't exist, I'd want him on the OD roster but as it stands now, I understand the decision made as I am sure he does. That's different than liking the business but it is acknowledge the situation for what it is.

Jon Lester, Tim Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw, Tommy Hanson, Stephen Strasburg...all were brought up in May or later. Most of them were better than at least one starter on their respective rosters, and yet they were held back.

These assumptions need to be dropped:

1- Britton will be immediately successful in the MLB.

(He hasn't thrown one pitch in the MLB)

2- [Tillman/Starter in lieu of Britton] will lose the games they start.

(Blind pessimism)

3- Britton will win those games (or have a substantially better chance to win)

(Blind optimism)

4- Holding Britton back = O's don't want to win now.

(Faulty logic; in fact a better argument could be made that by holding him back for only 3 starts, the O's want to win now & in the future).

1 - He hasn't been given the chance, tillman has. Tillman has failed and britton earned a spot, based on performance, this spring.

2 - Tillman, blind pessimism? Are you kidding me? Perhaps you don't watch the games. Nothing blind about not having faith in Tillman at the MLB level. You contradict yourself in your first two points, kind sir.

3 - Britton will give the team a better chance to win. A belief based on what chances we've been given to see what he can do vs MLB rosters. I guess we could leave him down forever and say there is nothing that proves he can get out mlb hitters in a 'real' game. - faulty logic.

4 - Holding back the guy who did out-pitch everyone else does display the fact that the Os are, without question, thinking about the future instead of today. You dismiss 3-4 games awfully easily. Not to mention other factors involved in keeping up the guy who performed the best with his teammates all spring.

start over please.

#1?

Archived