Britton to start sunday WOOT

Guest Hayden2004

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like its 3-6 weeks.

:cussing:

Man, that explains it, so they'll need Britton and Bergesen both. But that's terrible news for Matusz. This came out of nowhere and is a killer.

On the other hand, on the actual performance hand, Britton may be just as good as Matusz would've been.

Not going to happen. Maybe they skip him a time or two through the rotation but if he comes up and does decent he will never see the minors again except for a rehab or something.

If he pitches that well you extend him for 7 years and forget about the stupid clock. If he's anything worth holding onto we'll know long before the ticker runs out.

I remember the 'hot debates' and how ugly they got at times. Must have missed one of the few who wanted britton up.

Our hands have, seemingly, been forced now. Bad news really, losing Matusz and losing the service time is a lose lose to our management obviously.

Which is why the decision to call him up is so puzzling. :scratchchinhmm:

How is that more puzzling? Who are you going to put in there? Britton is our best option. Putting some AAAA guy in there for 6 weeks isn't going to win us games.

God, they'd rather give up an entire year of Britton than give Bergesen a single start? That's f'd up.

Yeah, it sorta sucks. But if Britton is really as good as we think he's gonna be in 6 or 7 years, you would hope that the O's would have already signed him to a contract, buying out a couple more years of free agency, making it a moot point.

If Bergesen is truly not ready, I think this is what we have to do. We can't ask the bullpen to work 9 this early in the season, especially after not knowing if they'll have to pick up Tillman tomorrow. Jakubauskas or Drese would be scary. We've got to give our team its best chance to start this season on the right foot.

You know what this means?

The Orioles want to win. Now. Period.

Things have a way of working themselves out. Britton deserved to be here. Sounds like the start of some 2011 "Orioles Magic" to me...
Obviously, this means Matusz is out for an extended period of time. You know what, I understand the whole arbitration thing with Britton and I was in agreement with it but this tells everyone, the players, the fans, the league that we are playing to win this year. I can't be upset with that decision.
If he pitches that well you extend him for 7 years and forget about the stupid clock. If he's anything worth holding onto we'll know long before the ticker runs out.

Nothing more to add, but wholehearted agreement with all of the above. Go O's!

It's not about the money. It's about winning.

God, they'd rather give up an entire year of Britton than give Bergesen a single start? That's f'd up.
Looks like its 3-6 weeks.

:cussing:

Still odd that they'd give up an entire year of Britton rather than have Hendrickson or Berken or somebody start two or three times in April. Maybe they have some contractual stuff in the works. It's going to look pretty silly if the O's don't get at or near their best case in 2011. You don't give up a year of a good pitcher in exchange for your 82nd win.

Man, that explains it, so they'll need Britton and Bergesen both. But that's terrible news for Matusz. This came out of nowhere and is a killer.

On the other hand, on the actual performance hand, Britton may be just as good as Matusz would've been.

Terrible news for Matusz and the Os in general. We entered the season with a game plan that has been drastically altered before we've reached our 2nd game.

Our new-found depth will be tested immediately. Lets show the AL East what the new Os are about.

Matusz is our CC/Price entering the season. This will be a test for the entire ball club. I think we'll respond well. Brutal part of the schedule to be missing Matusz, but thats the hand we've been dealt. So be it.

Still odd that they'd give up an entire year of Britton rather than have Hendrickson or Berken or somebody start two or three times in April. Maybe they have some contractual stuff in the works. It's going to look pretty silly if the O's don't get at or near their best case in 2011. You don't give up a year of a good pitcher in exchange for your 82nd win.

This..

Archived