Q & A with MacPhail

8ripken2131

"Between the GM meetings and conclusion of the winter meetings, I hope to see the consummation of several trades."

Best thing I read in the article.

I took that to mean he is hoping to see the consummation of several trades around the league, not necessarily for the Orioles. I think he is just hoping that it is more of an active trade market than it has been in recent years.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if that is what it means, it is poor decision making by MacPhail IMO.

I don't necessarily agree.

A loss is a loss is a loss, but losing games late that you really ought to win has a partcularly demoralizing effect on a team...particularly a young team IMO.

We all know the O's are practically guaranteed to lose more than they win next year no matter what. That's a price most of us here are more than willing to pay.

Flushing wins away in the 8th & 9th innings can negate progress, and I'm mildly pleased that MacPhail understands that.

I took that to mean he is hoping to see the consummation of several trades around the league, not necessarily for the Orioles. I think he is just hoping that it is more of an active trade market than it has been in recent years.

Are you sure? It sounded (to me at least) like he hoped to see the O's involved in a few trades. Just my two cents.

I don't necessarily agree.

A loss is a loss is a loss, but losing games late that you really ought to win has a partcularly demoralizing effect on a team...particularly a young team IMO.

We all know the O's are practically guaranteed to lose more than they win next year no matter what. That's a price most of us here are more than willing to pay.

Flushing wins away in the 8th & 9th innings can negate progress, and I'm mildly pleased that MacPhail understands that.

I don't have a problem addressing the BP...I have talked about many trades on here where we get back several relievers.

However, i think Bradford and/or Walker should be dealt and I don't think a closer should be a priority at all unless you can sign or acquire a top arm cheaply(guys like Wood or Farnsworth come to mind).

Closer shouldn't be anywhere near the top of a priority list.

This question is for the insiders. Which "baggage players to we realistically think we can unload?

Tejada, Hernandez, Millar or Huff, minor league suspects like Penn, and we'll look to unload Gibbons but will need to take a bad contract back.

I think his priority is strengthening the pitching, particularly RP, and the OF and doing so primarrly through trades rather than FA. "Several trades" is at least, two probably more. Of course he means O's trades, why would he be hoping for trades in general? That means Miggi, Ramon and some combination of Huff, Millar, and Payton IMO. A Bedard trade will not happen too soon because they need more time to explore an extension.

Tejada, Hernandez, Millar or Huff, minor league suspects like Penn, and we'll look to unload Gibbons but will need to take a bad contract back.

I don't see the point in trading Penn, his value is much lower than his talent right now, we likely won't be able to get enough to justify trading him.

Archived