Q & A with MacPhail

8ripken2131

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading Penn would be a mistake.

I agree... unless they know something about him we don't...

If the choice is between moving Millar or Huff, I'd rather keep Huff... but we don't know what the choices are about who's coming back...

It would depend on what else was in the package and what else was done in other moves.

Are they considering Bay?

Don't know if I am big fan on trading for Bay.

Why trade for him right now unless we are trading for him at a extremely low price. Find it hard to believe nobody else would want him then?

I would think if you would only trade for bay if you weren't trading tejada, hernandez, and bedard.

And the bullpen will be no better than it was this year.

Pass on all three of those guys.

The Orioles need pitchers who throw strikes, and Romero definitely doesn't fit that mold.

Jones is too old. He does at least throw strikes, but his strikes are too easily hit. 61 strikeouts in 125 IP over two season just isn't cutting it. Hopefully he resigns with Detroit.

Of the three, Riske is the one in which I'd have the most interest, and that would be a mild interest only.

With Ray coming back as the closer in 2009 the O's probably want a one year fix at closer. Jones may fit that profile and be relatively affordable. $5-6M for one year.

I am looking at Romero as a LOOGY. That is what Trembley asked for. Here are his last three years against lefties:

2007 208/333/312/645

2005 202/298/303/601

2004 198/300/267/567

He has given up one homer to lefties in four years.

I agree that he walks a few too many, but he still keep the slg pct very low. I would try him on a one year contract.

He had a bad time in a short stint in Boston but did pretty well for the Phillies.

If there is someone better out there then that would be great.

With Ray coming back as the closer in 2009 the O's probably want a one year fix at closer. Jones may fit that profile and be relatively affordable. $5-6M for one year.

I am looking at Romero as a LOOGY. That is what Trembley asked for. Here are his last three years against lefties:

2007 208/333/312/645

2005 202/298/303/601

2004 198/300/267/567

He has given up one homer to lefties in four years.

I agree that he walks a few too many, but he still keep the slg pct very low. I would try him on a one year contract.

He had a bad time in a short stint in Boston but did pretty well for the Phillies.

If there is someone better out there then that would be great.

Why sign someone who can only get out 1 set of hitters???

we need to sign guys who can get lefties and righties out no matter what arm they throw with.

BTW, with Zumaya hurt, i bet Jones goes back to Detroit.

Why sign someone who can only get out 1 set of hitters???

we need to sign guys who can get lefties and righties out no matter what arm they throw with.

BTW, with Zumaya hurt, i bet Jones goes back to Detroit.

So what you are saying is don't give Trembley what he asked for.

I agree that Jones looks more likely to go back to the Tiger with Zumaya injury. Boy was that a big mistake.

Archived