Why Does No One BOO?

JDBirds10

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point, if booing were to occur, I would think it would be more directed towards the warehouse for putting this team on the field. The players are who they are. You almost can't blame them as to what kind of player they are at this point in their career.

The funny thing is how much love there was for Showalter before the season. Many threads on here were praising him. Now you barely read anything on him. Granted he is better than any manager we have had in the past 10 years, but still, the front office has simply not been able to put a winner on the field either via free agency or through the draft in the past 15 years. And the 1 constant with this team over the past 15 years is - PA. Say what you want about it, but the fact is, the day this team is transferred into the hands of another owner, it will be hailed as a sign of hope.

Even with the team doing poorly, it's hard for me to say the front office is slacking. This offseason had a ton of promise to it. The Reynolds trade seemed legit. Signing Lee appeared to be a great low risk high reward candidate. Vlad pretty much fell in our laps. Along with these decent (not great) acquisitions we had players already that have proven to be good and sometimes great players and alot of players with an extreme upside.

What happened is a complete slump of all of the above.

Not only are the newly added players playing below expectations, so are the Orioles of years past. We have had significant injuries.

I remember thinking this will be a great team if all goes right and an absolutely terrible team if all goes wrong. Well, I expected somewhere in the middle and I was wrong. We're definitely leaning to one side of that spectrum, can you guess which it is?

"MacFail."

But I get his point. I was telling Moose today, I'm just about at "don't give a crap" mode already. With full expectations that at some point in the next few weeks, they'll pull their heads out of their asses.

They will? Cool, good news.

One thing I've discovered in my time on the planet, not all fan bases are alike. Not all fan bases stay the same, even. O's fans from 1981 would probably have been quick to boo the play of this team. Not so much the fans of 2011. I think we're more shell shocked, more "oh here we go again." Why bother booing, it's almost a waste of the oxygen. Or CO2, as it were.

How the apologists use the boards rules to enforce their smarmy acceptance of the status quo? "Board rules", "He'll use up his 500 soon enough". Poster made a point about fans here being a little too polite in the face of absolute suckiness. He stepped on (I'm not sure over) a couple of lines. He feels that perhaps making the players less comfortable may motivate them a little more. Many feel that if a team isn't performing, you have a right to boo- and you don't need Ken Burns to tell you this is a right granted fans since time immemorial.

Fans can be irrational, loud, impatient, and take a game far too seriously. Where does the word "Fan" come from anyway? If you want to use the Orioles as a test of your Zen philosophy and acceptance of all that comes your way, more power to you. If you want to use this board as your personal club (pun intended) to hammer anyone that expresses their love for the O's in a way that doesn't please you, then who's making WHO feel unwelcome and is attacking another poster? And defining an intelligent fan as one who shouldn't attend a game rather than actually pay for a ticket and boo when they don't get their money's worth is a discussion at best- not a fact.

And finally, referencing a lot of other threads, let's consider not calling people idiots and their posts stupid. You want to be good citizens, respect those around you. If they haven't done their homework, correct them, ignore them, but let's laugh at them on OUR side of the keyboard. As I am not a board policeman, the aforementioned is a SUGGESTION.....not an edict.

As I said when I turned yesterday's game off, God bless us one and all.

Kudos, well said, sadly I think it will fall on deaf ears to those that should pay attention to it.

"Slanderous or otherwise disrespectful."

Gotta read the whole rule.

Ok, somewhat disrespectful by misspelling his last name, but its not like he laid out a series of 4 letter words about. I have seen way worse on here when it has been poster on poster. That being said, i still find it hard to disagree with the poster's comment.

Ok, somewhat disrespectful by misspelling his last name, but its not like he laid out a series of 4 letter words about. I have seen way worse on here when it has been poster on poster. That being said, i still find it hard to disagree with the poster's comment.
People should be allowed to express their frustration, and that post was relatively mild.

Well, in the past, the whole "McFail" thing had been called out by staff as falling under that rule, mild or no. :dunno: Though I do have to agree that some poster on poster aggression has been worse, not that it excuses either.

Let's show the team how dissatisfied we are by buying tickets to boo them. Yes of course, a sensible solution.

It actually is. At least booing lets them know we care. The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Not buying tickets when things are going bad, just makes you a front runner when you show up when things get turned around. Edmund Burke said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". But not showing up. You are doing nothing. You then get what you deserve.

It actually is. At least booing lets them know we care. The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Not buying tickets when things are going bad, just makes you a front runner when you show up when things get turned around. Edmund Burke said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". But not showing up. You are doing nothing. You then get what you deserve.

I'm sure Burke had sports teams in mind when he said that, of course.

If I am not mistaken Mike Gonzalez got booed like crazy the other week. What did he do? He went back to his old pitching style and now look at him, he has been one of the only good pitchers coming out of our bullpen. Sounds to me like booing helped him turn things around.

So, it was the booing that inspired Gonzalez to pitch better, huh ? Without the booing, he would still pitching horribly, with no sense of urgency to change and pitch better. Yeah. OK.

Archived