Stark: Lots of teams interested in Guthrie?

ChaosLex

I'm not sure how what I said can be 100% right, but at the same time he should be dealt regardless of standing. :scratchchinhmm:

And I have no clue if they overvalue him or not. We'll get a better idea if the O's are in a position to sell in July.

I was looking at that from the O's perspective actually.

If they are in contention, they aren't trading him..That is 100% right.

I just personally disagree with that stance unless its something where they are actually a few games ahead or something like that.

Being 5 games out with 5 teams in front of you isn't contending IMO, not with this team.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking at that from the O's perspective actually.

If they are in contention, they aren't trading him..That is 100% right.

I just personally disagree with that stance unless its something where they are actually a few games ahead or something like that.

Being 5 games out with 5 teams in front of you isn't contending IMO, not with this team.

Big difference between being a few games ahead and 5 games out though. What about tied for the WC? 1-2 games out?

Big difference between being a few games ahead and 5 games out though. What about tied for the WC? 1-2 games out?

I think they keep him if they are two games out of the WC, or two games out of 1st place in the East. I don't think thats the right thing to do though.

I have a question for people who think we should keep Guthrie in this scenario (given there is a good trade(s) being offered). If the Orioles are basically in it (two games out or tied, or a game ahead, whatever) would you trade two or three guys for an available bat/quality relief pitcher/SP with an expiring contract? I would hope most would say no, a deal like that doesn't make sense. And if the answer to this is no, how is it the case that we should keep Guthrie or our other pieces?

AM and the front office are responsible for building the best possible team. For our young pitchers, they are only getting better. For our offense, we still have a long way to go, but theres some good players. A player like Guthrie who has a movable contract is a must move if you are trying to build the best possible team for next year and beyond. I would say the same for Lee, Vlad, or anyone who won't be a focal point of this team down the road. If there is a trade that brings those pieces to make us a great ballclub down the road, you make the trades.

We have him under control for one more year. Why would we trade him. It is not like we have a ton of depth in the minors. He is 32, 200+ Innings, respectable ERA and Whip. He is a workhorse. We have one more year of arbitration and I would buy it out and offer him a 3 year deal at maybe $8 million a year.

I think they keep him if they are two games out of the WC, or two games out of 1st place in the East. I don't think thats the right thing to do though.

I have a question for people who think we should keep Guthrie in this scenario (given there is a good trade(s) being offered). If the Orioles are basically in it (two games out or tied, or a game ahead, whatever) would you trade two or three guys for an available bat/quality relief pitcher/SP with an expiring contract? I would hope most would say no, a deal like that doesn't make sense. And if the answer to this is no, how is it the case that we should keep Guthrie or our other pieces?

AM and the front office are responsible for building the best possible team. For our young pitchers, they are only getting better. For our offense, we still have a long way to go, but theres some good players. A player like Guthrie who has a movable contract is a must move if you are trying to build the best possible team for next year and beyond. I would say the same for Lee, Vlad, or anyone who won't be a focal point of this team down the road. If there is a trade that brings those pieces to make us a great ballclub down the road, you make the trades.

I may be agreeable to dealing a couple guys for some help, maybe a good reliever or something. It just depends on the details.

I just can't see dealing one of the best players on the team for prospects when they have a legit shot at the playoffs for the first time in forever. Especially when it won't be the last chance to deal him.

We have him under control for one more year. Why would we trade him. It is not like we have a ton of depth in the minors. He is 32' date=' 200+ Innings, respectable ERA and Whip. He is a workhorse. We have one more year of arbitration and I would buy it out and offer him a 3 year deal at maybe $8 million a year.[/quote']

I'm agreeing here. All of this talk of moving him and all I can think of is keeping him. He's been the one constant starter the O's have had for a long time. Even in his bad year he still pitched well enough to win some games on a better club. The guy brings it and is the type of player we should hold onto.

Depends on how many teams are right there and who we are fighting with.

Its really tough for me to see a REALISTIC scenario where I do not trade Guthrie if the right deal is on the table.

Its really tough for me to see a REALISTIC scenario where I do not trade Guthrie if the right deal is on the table.

And this is the problem: you're putting too much credit that the right deal would actually be on the table.

Ok, so you don't think it's realistic to be in the hunt at that time. But like I said, what if we are? If we are tied for the WC or a game out I don't think it really matters who we are fighting with. I just don't see how they could defend that type of move in such a situation to their fans and players, and how it would make sense to hurt the chances at the playoffs when reaching them is the most important objective.

Ok, so you don't think it's realistic to be in the hunt at that time. But like I said, what if we are? If we are tied for the WC or a game out I don't think it really matters who we are fighting with. I just don't see how they could defend that type of move in such a situation to their fans and players, and how it would make sense to hurt the chances at the playoffs when reaching them is the most important objective.

Guts is not long term player in the mold of the youngsters. Just reality. Get what you can for a proven starter and move on. Guts is more valuable as trade bait. This team is not making the playoffs, sorry to break it to you. Trade Guts to a pennant contending team. He would yield dividends and be shocked by run support. Win win.

Guts is not long term player in the mold of the youngsters. Just reality. Get what you can for a proven starter and move on. Guts is more valuable as trade bait. This team is not making the playoffs, sorry to break it to you. Trade Guts to a pennant contending team. He would yield dividends and be shocked by run support. Win win.

Umm, you aren't breaking anything to me and this is an odd response to my post. The point is regarding what if the O's actually have a legit shot at the playoffs come late July rather than suggesting they currently have a decent shot.

I have no problem trading Guts in a good deal, but it seems to me that we'd be looking for a SP as soon as we dealt him.

IMO, our best path to competing over the next few years is to trot out Guts, Arrieta, BMat and ZBritt four out of every five games.

Archived