6th Round - Nick Delmonico - 3B - Farragut HS

This could be a pick to judge Joe Jordan on. We paid him more than anyone we've ever chosen beyond the first round - a lot more than our second rounders, more than Arrieta, etc. Will the kid be worth the money?

Your correct that this is Jordan's largest over slot bonus for a non-1st rounder to date, though I don't think it is so large that is is distinguishable from the Arrieta signing. To me those signings are largely the same aside from the college v. high school distinction. This pick carries some wieght in the Jordan evaluation as he sunk big money into the kid and targeted Delmonico versus other potential over slot guys in rounds 3-6. As far as an overall Jordan evaluation, I think the Hobgood draft has to be the one where much evaluation takes place as Jordan strayed from some of the other potential 1st picks in favor of Hobgood so he could spread the bonus money to additional over slot, particularly Coffee & Ohman (spelling?). The early returns on that strategy is not so good at the moment though Coffee is beginning to show some development.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you believe the Delmonico that showed up periodically last summer is the real thing, it's likely worth the investment. If you think this spring is more indicative of his talent level, it's probably an overpay by a fair amount. Truth may be somewhere in the middle.

Regardless of which way it turns out, the organization deserves credit for identifying a talent they like and getting him into the system. It will be a long climb to catch up to some of the systems/ML rosters ahead of Baltimore, but regardless of how long that process takes signings like this are a necessary step.

Well said Nick. I think most of us believe the club should be cramming the system with even more of this type of signings. Let's hope that this type of move starts to pay dividends.

Regardless of which way it turns out, the organization deserves credit for identifying a talent they like and getting him into the system. It will be a long climb to catch up to some of the systems/ML rosters ahead of Baltimore, but regardless of how long that process takes signings like this are a necessary step.

I understand your point, but I need to see some scouting "wins." Identifying guys you like and getting them in the system is great, but at some point you need to see performance.

Steve Melewski just tweeted that he signed a 2012 contract so no games this year. Can someone explain the benefit to the player/team of a 2012 deal to me?

They get an extra year of control for Rule 5 and free agency purposes I believe.

They get an extra year of control for Rule 5 and free agency purposes I believe.

So when would he take a roster spot? Is it at the end of the world series like the guys that you protect in the Rule 5 or before the start of next season or now.

So when would he take a roster spot? Is it at the end of the world series like the guys that you protect in the Rule 5 or before the start of next season or now.

I'll have to check with Tripp Norton. He always knows the answer to these kinds of questions.

Tripp said players signed to a 2012 contract don't count against any rosters until opening day of the season 2012.

Archived