Hardy contract news

eddie83

I thought that Melvin Mora and myself were the only 2 people (psychopaths) in the entire world that would have to be dragged away from the Baltimore Orioles kicking and screaming. Make that 3. :laughlol:

You think Hardy signing would be counter-intutitive and a good thing? Well the real test of our ability to at least hold some our most valuable players would be if we get Guthrie to sign a multi-year pact. The guy is a horse, is in fantastic condition, and while his ERA is not elite, he pitches predominately very good games. And 3-4 years for him would not trouble me - this is not an arm problem waiting to happen.

Unless we got a trade offer we could not refuse, I would rather push negotiations, then go the Tampa Bay route if unsuccessful - supplemental 1st round pick. This guy has been through hell, and deserves the consideration for being a great soldier through it all.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This team needs so much help that it is hard to justify spending $7.5M+ a year for Hardy who will be a place holder for our next shortstop while we continue to lose. I really like Hardy, I just think he can help the future Orioles teams by netting a very good return.

Hardy fills a hole at SS very well. The Orioles do not appear to be willing to sign unproven minor league youngsters. They are looking at guys that are major league ready, but blocked. JJ is going to net one of those types, not a handful. I would much rather resign him then trade him for a one for one. Let's say we get Alonzo for JJ, we fill the hole at 1st and create one at short. Not much of a bargain there.

Hardy fills a hole at SS very well. The Orioles do not appear to be willing to sign unproven minor league youngsters. They are looking at guys that are major league ready, but blocked. JJ is going to net one of those types, not a handful. I would much rather resign him then trade him for a one for one. Let's say we get Alonzo for JJ, we fill the hole at 1st and create one at short. Not much of a bargain there.

This! I'll take Hardy over anything he could get us.

Guts on the other hand has to be dealt. I love him, he's a horse, but for whatever reason we don't win when he pitches. Hell, we don't SCORE when he pitches. Guts is probably our most valuable trade chip right now. He is the one you dangle.

I think this may be Hardy being diplomatic. I really see no reason why he would want to extend with a team that is headed for more losing seasons barring a 180-degree turnaround in the second half of the season as well as the next few years. He's having a great season and would be in high demand this offseason. Sorry folks, I just don't see it.

This! I'll take Hardy over anything he could get us.

Guts on the other hand has to be dealt. I love him, he's a horse, but for whatever reason we don't win when he pitches. Hell, we don't SCORE when he pitches. Guts is probably our most valuable trade chip right now. He is the one you dangle.

Guthrie needs to be dealt, but how the Orioles play in his starts is irrelevant.

I think this may be Hardy being diplomatic. I really see no reason why he would want to extend with a team that is headed for more losing seasons barring a 180-degree turnaround in the second half of the season as well as the next few years. He's having a great season and would be in high demand this offseason. Sorry folks, I just don't see it.

Hardy has only been here three months. He doesn't know. He might actually think this is just like playing for the '06 Brewers.

I can think of 24 million reasons why Hardy would sign.

He had an outstanding June but his April, May and July have not been that good. He has been injured in each of the last three seasons. Maybe he would think its smart to get a multi year contract while the getting is good.

I can think of 24 million reasons why Hardy would sign.

He had an outstanding June but his April, May and July have not been that good. He has been injured in each of the last three seasons. Maybe he would think its smart to get a multi year contract while the getting is good.

And why wouldn't he wait another 3 months to get that, and possibly more, from a better organization?

And why wouldn't he wait another 3 months to get that, and possibly more, from a better organization?

He doesn't know what the next three months will be like. He could be injured. He could slump. If he gets something offered that he likes, this may be the time for him to take it. He has lived through the risks for the last three years.

Guthrie needs to be dealt, but how the Orioles play in his starts is irrelevant.

I'm kind of curious about this. I feel like we should do one or the other: keep both Hardy and Guthrie, or trade them both. I don't see the logic in extending Hardy and trading Guthrie. If we're extending Hardy, then we're trying to compete in the near term and Guthrie can help us do that. I personally think we should be trading both of them.

I'm kind of curious about this. I feel like we should do one or the other: keep both Hardy and Guthrie, or trade them both. I don't see the logic in extending Hardy and trading Guthrie. If we're extending Hardy, then we're trying to compete in the near term and Guthrie can help us do that. I personally think we should be trading both of them.

Guthrie potentially has the current value to bring back several pieces of the future. He's also about to get much more expensive, and at the same time enter the phase of his career where decline is quite likely. Pretty good bet that a trade brings back more value than an extension.

Hardy is under team control for two or three more months, and is pretty unlikely to bring back a big haul. But he's willing to sign with the Orioles (apparently), and if he can manage to stay healthy he's one of the more valuable shortstops in the league. And he's on the right side of 30.

Guthrie potentially has the current value to bring back several pieces of the future. He's also about to get much more expensive, and at the same time enter the phase of his career where decline is quite likely. Pretty good bet that a trade brings back more value than an extension.

Hardy is under team control for two or three more months, and is pretty unlikely to bring back a big haul. But he's willing to sign with the Orioles (apparently), and if he can manage to stay healthy he's one of the more valuable shortstops in the league. And he's on the right side of 30.

I don't disagree with either of these points, but they seem to be taken out of context. Each is a smart move in a vacuum. But I don't think we're going to be competing in the next couple of years, so having a great shortstop on the right side of 30 isn't going to be much more than eye candy. Trading Guthrie and extending Hardy just strikes me as more of the one foot in, one foot out approach we've practiced over the past decade or so. I want to do it right this time.

Jones to Atlanta for Vizcaino/Delgado and another piece, maybe Cunningham.

Hardy and Guthrie to Cincinnati for Alonso and Wood.

Uehara to Philly for Brody Colvin

etc. etc.

Archived