Heyman: Teams calling O's for Markakis, Jones, Reynolds and Hardy

JTrea81

I vote to wait for new management before trading anyone. Doing it under MacPhail and the current establishment is silly.

Is that because MacPhail has shown an inability to make good trades for the O's? He may be a poor GM in his vision and direction in regards to FA, but if you are going to try and make it seem like the man is not capable of pulling off good trades, then you haven't been paying attention much.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Orioles signed PF, and he hit 35 bombs, knocked in 110+ ribbies, I could care less if he weighed 300. I've seen enough 180-230 pounders SUCK playing for the O's. As a matter of fact.. oh ..nevermind

Sure, that sounds great for 2012. However, I'm of the opinion that if the Orioles could actually convince Prince to come here, it's going to require 7-8 years and some serious cash.

And while I'm fairly certain 35/110 is reasonable for Fielder next year, I can't say with any certaintly that he'd be able to do the last few years of any contract he ends up signing.

The Orioles aren't going anywhere by blindly throwing their money around, crossing their fingers, and hoping for the best.

Why do you say that? MacPhail's greatest strength is trades. If anything it makes more sense to do all the trades under him and then bring in someone else who'll be better with free agency and international signings.

Blow. It. Up.

You are making it sound easy.. when truth is, there is no rhyme or reason to do as you suggest. Let MacPhail make trades and THEN bring in someone else to clean up the mess everywhere else?? So the next person coming in (another PA minion) will take a different tract and improve EVERYTHING? :laughlol:

I think Baltimore will have to pick up part of Markakis's 2013/14 contracts to move him to Philly. If they do that they might be able to get Dom Brown and a clearwater arm.

I have a lot of respect for your opinions but if Markakis and cash could get Dom Brown AND another player I'd fall out of my chair. Why wouldn't they just get Beltran or Willingham or Ludwick? That's a huge price to pay for the difference between Nick and another option.

Maybe in the latter part of that deal. But Jones won't cost as much as Markakis for the next few years even with an extension. He'll be worth his contract at that point and still has a chance to be better than that. Markakis is likely what he is right now.

The point is to save salary to load up for a short term run, which is the only way we'll win anything with this core.

Jones isn't worth what he is getting paid right now. Why do you think he will be worth his contract as he gets more expensive?

You are making it sound easy.. when truth is, there is no rhyme or reason to do as you suggest. Let MacPhail make trades and THEN bring in someone else to clean up the mess everywhere else?? So the next person coming in (another PA minion) will take a different tract and improve EVERYTHING? :laughlol:

You're taking my suggestion literally. It was a rhetorical point.

I have a lot of respect for your opinions but if Markakis and cash could get Dom Brown AND another player I'd fall out of my chair. Why wouldn't they just get Beltran or Willingham or Ludwick? That's a huge price to pay for the difference between Nick and another option.

Nick is under control for three years, and a cheap Markakis solves a lot of internal $$ issues coming up. I don't think they take him for his contract price, but Baltimore swallowing a chunk of it and they would get interested quickly.

Who are these teams calling for Markakais? They have to be teams who can afford his salary like Boston, or teams who think we might move him to dump his salary and will pay some of it. I would trade Nick for a Vizcaino type SP prospect and a B level position player and not eat any of his salary. Otherwise I keep him. Jones is the much better trade chip, IMO. But this is moot, none of these guys will be moved. Not while Petey is around.

Yep...Its dumb to trade Nick and its even dumber to advocate an extension to a worse player, Jones, but want to give up Markakis just to get rid of his contract.

The lack of consistency is both poor and mind boggling.

Your arrogance is mind boggling. Tell me why you would trade one of the best CFs in all of baseball? Who is inconsistent? He is having an outstanding year and may win a second gold glove.

Sure, that sounds great for 2012. However, I'm of the opinion that if the Orioles could actually convince Prince to come here, it's going to require 7-8 years and some serious cash.

And while I'm fairly certain 35/110 is reasonable for Fielder next year, I can't say with any certaintly that he'd be able to do the last few years of any contract he ends up signing.

The Orioles aren't going anywhere by blindly throwing their money around, crossing their fingers, and hoping for the best.

Investing in players is not what the O's have been doing enough of. They have pillaged the minor leagues, and player development is long gone.

Again, they have a good core of players they can build upon, but won't go the next step. If they were to sign PF, they would need those core players to be in a supporting role, otherwise, PF would have no protection in the lineup. No pitcher in the league would throw him a pitch he could hit, unless it was a mistake.

It comes down to the FO.. do the best to win, or stay mired the bottom of the AL east (which seems to be the chosen path).

Archived