Dbacks looking for a starter and reliever

Sports Guy

Tim Dierkes just answer a question I asked in his chat.

I asked if Goldschmidt was too much for Guthrie...He felt it was reasonable but that the DBacks may aim a little lower.

If Zona would make that trade, would you be happy with it?

Yes. I've been high on Goldschmidt for three years now. Last year I suggested him as a throw-in in the Reynolds deal. He's shown a lot to scouts by doing his thing at AA without missing a beat.

At this point, I'm not sure if ARI would let him go if not as part of a package to land a true ace, and MacPhail is obsessed with quantity, so I doubt a deal like that gets done.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather have Goldschmidt and two others for Guthrie & Koji than all that bulk the O's will end up losing in the rule 5.

Well yeah, so would I...but Arizona isn't going to trade Goldschmidt. And even if they were willing to, it would be for something better than Guthrie & Koji.

Well yeah, so would I...but Arizona isn't going to trade Goldschmidt. And even if they were willing to, it would be for something better than Guthrie & Koji.
If they need a SP and a REP which pitchers out there are better. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better RP than Koji, and assuming the Jimenez talk is BS, not many much better than Guts either.

If they need a SP and a REP which pitchers out there are better. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better RP than Koji, and assuming the Jimenez talk is BS, not many much better than Guts either.

For Goldschmidt? That list starts and ends with Kershaw.

I'm sorry, but you're either seriously underrating Goldschmidt or overrating Guthrie. We're talking about a guy with legitimate MVP potential. Joey Votto would be a good comp, but Goldie's minor league career so far has been arguably better than Votto's was...

Arizona is playing Allen right now with intentions to move him. I would do Koji straight up for him' date=' but would Arizona?[/quote']

Yes, I think they would definitely make that trade. Can't see them getting anything better than that for Allen.

For Goldschmidt? That list starts and ends with Kershaw.

I'm sorry, but you're either seriously underrating Goldschmidt or overrating Guthrie. We're talking about a guy with legitimate MVP potential. Joey Votto would be a good comp, but Goldie's minor league career so far has been arguably better than Votto's was...

Whoa now. I'm one of the biggest Goldschmidt supporters, but let's not get carried away. Paulie is 23 in AA. Last year he was 22 in A+ and was striking out in 26% of his PAs. He's a very good prospect and I believe the bat is very special, but he doesn't have the raw hitting ability of Votto, who was hitting .300+ in the big leagues at Goldschmidt's current age.

Whoa now. I'm one of the biggest Goldschmidt supporters, but let's not get carried away.

Heh, sorry. Goldie has been my pet prospect since the DBacks drafted him and I've been touting him as the next great power hitter for awhile now. I can go a little overboard. :P

Paulie is 23 in AA. Last year he was 22 in A+ and was striking out in 26% of his PAs. He's a very good prospect and I believe the bat is very special, but he doesn't have the raw hitting ability of Votto, who was hitting .300+ in the big leagues at Goldschmidt's current age.

Well, 23 is age appropriate for AA. I know Votto was a year younger when he had his breakout year in the Southern League which is why I said it was arguable, but I see their career paths as being very similar so far. Goldschmidt might not have quite as good of a hit tool as Votto, but I think it's close and Goldschmidt has a bit more power. I don't see them as being very far apart, but then I'm also not a professional scout or anything. I realize that I'm a lot higher on him than most, and I'm OK with that. :)

Heh, sorry. Goldie has been my pet prospect since the DBacks drafted him and I've been touting him as the next great power hitter for awhile now. I can go a little overboard. :P

Well, 23 is age appropriate for AA. I know Votto was a year younger when he had his breakout year in the Southern League which is why I said it was arguable, but I see their career paths as being very similar so far. Goldschmidt might not have quite as good of a hit tool as Votto, but I think it's close and Goldschmidt has a bit more power. I don't see them as being very far apart, but then I'm also not a professional scout or anything. I realize that I'm a lot higher on him than most, and I'm OK with that. :)

Ehh, its not old but its not young either and if you are talking elite prospect, its old for AA.

He struck out a ton last year and apparently, he isn't a great defensive player.

Goldschmidt isn't even ranked in Law's midseason top 50 or listed in his honorable mentions so I'm not sure that it should be assumed he's so untouchable like one poster thinks.

I think the Orioles need to go with quality instead of quanity. IMO they dhole be able to get three and maybe a throw in for Guthrie and Koji. Goldschmidt would be the centerpiece.

Goldschmidt isn't even ranked in Law's midseason top 50 or listed in his honorable mentions so I'm not sure that it should be assumed he's so untouchable like one poster thinks.
Yea I agree...He looks and sounds like a good target but its pretty hard for me to believe that Guthrie doesn't fetch him(and perhaps, more than him).

It depends on how serious the Snakes are about going for it this year. Guts would be a much better SP in the NL West, especially with all those spacious parks. Koji is as good a RP as you can get. Goldschmitd is 23 in AA and has fielding, and K issues. H;es not Votto II. I'd rather have Belt. But I think he is a good return for Guts and Koji.

Archived