Rasmus

paulcoates

Man, I don't know.

It probably means that there's more to baseball than numbers and that the guy's 4.3 WAR isn't worth the headache, or something ridiculous like that.

I'm fairly sure that's why the deal went down like it did.

Are the Orioles in position to allow proven, top talent get away, to a division rival, for very little..without at least making a very good effort?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL I'm not trying to be an a-hole about it, I'm just looking at the situation with some objectivity.

There's very obviously something about Rasmus that teams weren't real excited about. If they were willing to dismiss his issues, the deal would certainly have looked different than it did. He's entirely too talented.

It's wrong for anyone to claim that Rasmus is guaranteed to be a star. I think the point is that Toronto is taking a chance (taking on Teahen's salary and moving some young arms/comp arms) in order to potentially hit on a truly elite talent. Ultimately, if Rasmus is just an average MLer, is Toronto crippled? Did they really give up anything that is going to prevent them from making further moves later on?

You win with stars. Toronto is taking a chance on a buy-low guy in order to try and get a 4-6 WAR player cheap and under control for several years. If Baltimore is going to compete on a $90MM payroll, this is the TYPE of move they will need to make. They aren't going to get there with sold deals for solid players. They need an impact "win" (production vs cost) with an acquisition/signing in order to put together the team they need to compete in their division on their stated payroll.

Are the Orioles in position to allow proven, top talent get away, to a division rival, for very little..without at least making a very good effort?

I'm way too far into apathy to get angry over something like this, but if you want me to pound my desk and stomp my feet I'm happy to.

Wow. Thanks, Nick.

Well, that means one of two things:

1. Rasmus was really that unbearable.

2. St. Louis' baseball operations are run by a complete twit.

Could be either 1 or 2 or both. There is some...frustration with LaRussa's reach in FO moves. General thought from the guy I spoke with is Rasmus is probably a pain in the ass at this point, but a fair amount of it is in reaction to LaRussa's treatment and the FO's failure to step in.

Rasmus is far from a sure thing. But I believe most evaluators would take on that risk due to the fact that 1) he's a proven MLer at this point, and 2) his upside is literally top 5 OF in the game.

At the end of the day, Toronto got better and the Orioles didn't.

I personally find LaRussa unbearable and take any hits on Rasmus' character with a grain of salt. Regardless, that's one of the reasons you hire a respected manager. If it turns out the reason the Os didn't pursue him was due to attitude, I will be disappointed. The Os are in a situation where they can't let potential top talents pass by them on the cheap.

Hopefully the fair analysis by some in this thread regarding why St. Louis didn't get more isn't at all an attempt to justify the Orioles not being in whatsoever on Rasmus. I recognize that you can question Rasmus while not excusing the O's, so I hope that's the case and it's not a matter of giving the O's the benefit of the doubt. Because after all these years, I can't see how anyone with half a brain could possibly attempt to give the O's the benefit of the doubt here.

Hopefully the fair analysis by some in this thread regarding why St. Louis didn't get more isn't at all an attempt to justify the Orioles not being in whatsoever on Rasmus. I recognize that you can question Rasmus while not excusing the O's, so I hope that's the case and it's not a matter of giving the O's the benefit of the doubt. Because after all these years, I can't see how anyone with half a brain could possibly attempt to give the O's the benefit of the doubt here.

For the love of God no.

I fully expect the Orioles to avoid any players with any hint of "issues" like the plague (unless they're medical of course.) Especially if they're young and uber-talented. Wouldn't want to rock the boat.

Could be either 1 or 2 or both. There is some...frustration with LaRussa's reach in FO moves. General thought from the guy I spoke with is Rasmus is probably a pain in the ass at this point, but a fair amount of it is in reaction to LaRussa's treatment and the FO's failure to step in.

Rasmus is far from a sure thing. But I believe most evaluators would take on that risk due to the fact that 1) he's a proven MLer at this point, and 2) his upside is literally top 5 OF in the game.

Wait a minute, you mean it is possible that Rasmus isn't 100% at fault? No way!

It isn't for me. I think from a talent POV Rasmus is great, but I have heard some stuff from a couple people now about Rasmus, people that have nothing to gain from trashing the kid, that he's not worth the headache. There is a good amount I'm willing to put up with from players and call it part of the game, but if what I hear is true he's WAY past that line. If I had a choice between Rasmus and Jones, I take Jones every time.

I still don't excuse the O's for not finding SOMEWAY to improve the team, and they better take advantage of their trade chips right now, but Rasmus I can understand.

People want to think it was just beef between him and Tony L. but it wasn't just that.

Archived