We should release Pie

Slappy

Why don't we just hold on to him till the end of spring training next year and try to get him past waivers? We then could send him down to Norfolk where he could play everyday.

Right now if we released him some horrible team other than us would pick him up. At the end of spring next year it would be much harder for them.

I read somewhere that he would be due like a million bucks next year if we retained him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any reason to hold on to Felix Pie at this point? His OPS is .517. He has no homers and just 6 walks in 155 PA. Most say his defense is good - I don't agree. He takes bad angles and boots plenty of balls in LF and CF. He doesn't steal bases that well. He doesn't run the bases that well.

At this point, I say release him and bring up Angle. At least Angle has shown that he can get on base, steal a ton at good percentages, and play solid defense in CF. He's 25, time to let him sink or swim. And if he sinks, at least he has options.

But... but... who will chase the helmets?? huh.gif

I wish he'd gotten 600 straight at-bats so we'd actually know what he could do...that would have been smart. At this point, I don't think it'd be any loss to cut him. He might just be a mediocre player, and if he's not, he'll never get enough consecutive at-bats to prove it on this team.

The thing about Pie is, with regular at bats, he will show flashes of brilliance but enough to really stay in the everyday lineup. Then, off the bench, he has been dreadful so there's not much you can do with him. I wouldn't release him but he shouldn't be on the 40 man.

We all know about Pie's hitting woes, but I've been very disappointed with his fielding over the last two months or so. BB-ref has him at -0.9 dWAR, fangraphs has him at -11.3 UZR (-36.5 UZR/150). He's made several poorly advised dives for balls that then got past him for extra bases, he's mistimed or misjudged plays near the wall, he's bobbled base hits, he's made ill-advised throws. His overall performance the last couple of months has been abysmal. His OPS, which stood at .727 on May 10, is now at .517.

I am no Pie-basher. I am sure you could find quotes from me from May or maybe even June saying I thought he was perfectly acceptable for a fourth OF. But his performance has deteriorated and I'd be perfectly comfortable if we DFA'd Pie and had a hard look at Angle.

It's just a statistic that measures how much that player would get on the open market based of their production. It's kinda silly...you get 30 million dollar players, etc, but I thought it was pretty funny RE: Pie.

Yes, I am aware of that.

Did the figure include what Pie is making this season or not? According to Cots Pie is making .985M this season. So is his worth -8,115,000 or does he actually owe $10,085,000?

I don't think anyone is saying Pie is a great defender at this point. It would be better for all parties if he's released. Maybe he could find a place to play everyday and rebuild his career. What he really needs is a full season at AAA getting at bats everyday. Maybe he'd clear waivers at this point.

No way do I DFA Pie. If Hoey and Jacobsen can get what the Twins felt was an overexpensive Hardy then Pie can be including in a package to bring something worthwhile back to the O's.

He is still young. He has range as a centerfielder. GM generally don't only look at a few bad months. They look for potential and Pie still has some.

No way do I DFA Pie. If Hoey and Jacobsen can get what the Twins felt was an overexpensive Hardy then Pie can be including in a package to bring something worthwhile back to the O's.

He is still young. He has range as a centerfielder. GM generally don't only look at a few bad months. They look for potential and Pie still has some.

They can look at his entire career, save for a couple good months in 2009 was it, and see that he is not a very good player. I really honestly don't know what he has ever done to get the kind of following he has around here, but he is awful!

Three years ago, when he was younger, cheaper and had less exposure to the major leagues so his ability was less clear, we were able to get Felix Pie for Garrett Olson. We'd get no more than an Olson, probably less, for Pie today.

Are you saying you want a Hoey/Jacobson deal for Pie? Didn't we essentially just get that in Jo Jo Reyes? Can't you assume guys like Hoey will be around and available for a long time. Is a package of Hoey/Jacobsen really worth holding a MLB roster spot for?

Archived