Do you think Peter Angelos Owes the Fans Answers?

Greg Pappas

I honestly have never understood the hatred of Peter on this board by some posters.

That said, the only question I would ask is "why should I ever again earn the scorn of my Red Sox Nation friends and neighbors, hop a commuter flight to Baltimore, rent a car, rent a hotel room, buy tickets and concessions, then come home tired but happy for this lousy product? For what I spend doing that I could go to Toronto, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, or sometimes even Miami. But I love my Os. When do I get rewarded for my loyalty?"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I honestly have never understood the hatred of Peter on this board by some posters.

That said, the only question I would ask is "why should I ever again earn the scorn of my Red Sox Nation friends and neighbors, hop a commuter flight to Baltimore, rent a car, rent a hotel room, buy tickets and concessions, then come home tired but happy for this lousy product? For what I spend doing that I could go to Toronto, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, or sometimes even Miami. But I love my Os. When do I get rewarded for my loyalty?"

There is no reward for following this team. You either accept the inferior product or dont go. Angelos probably doesnt care either way.

Because he is the #1 reason that this organization is so awful. There is no disputing that.

If the Orioles were actually losing money I guarantee you'd see a payroll in the sub-50 million range as well hear rumors of Angelos trying to offload the team. He ma be a lot of things, but PA is not a bad businessman.
I imagine they are about breaking even now.

And if you are a company who is consistently puts out a terrible product, you do owe an explanation.

However, what will usually happen to those comnpanies is they go out of business. They isn't happening here. So, this is a situation that needs to be looked at differently.

Plus, money has come from the consumers to help build that stadium, where they play.

I just think there are differences here.

Of course you don't, this is crazy talk.

Did you ever go to a sporting event a concert or somewhere where the people are captive? And the food and service is over priced and a rip off? You buy it or you starve. It is a great business to be in. No one wouldn't want to own something like that. Do you think you'd ever get an answer if you asked the owner of that business why a hot dog is 8 bucks and the service stinks? Hell no. If you did get an honest answer, it would be " because I can get away with it". AM can get away with it. All the complaining on this site, talk radio and newspapers will change nothing.

If the Orioles were actually losing money I guarantee you'd see a payroll in the sub-50 million range as well hear rumors of Angelos trying to offload the team. He ma be a lot of things, but PA is not a bad businessman.

I've said this before. I don't think it's about money. I don't think PA is against spending money. I just think he is not aware of how to do this thing right. The problem is that he THINKS he does. It isn't bad intentions for a money grab or a lack of desire to field a winner. He isn't sitting in a room with a calculator, smiling as the money roles in like some Grinch that stole Xmas. IMO, he just doesn't know enough to run this team properly.

Of course you don't, this is crazy talk.

Did you ever go to a sporting event a concert or somewhere where the people are captive? And the food and service is over priced and a rip off? You buy it or you starve. It is a great business to be in. No one wouldn't want to own something like that. Do you think you'd ever get an answer if you asked the owner of that business why a hot dog is 8 bucks and the service stinks? Hell no. If you did get an honest answer, it would be " because I can get away with it". AM can get away with it. All the complaining on this site, talk radio and newspapers will change nothing.

I know its not how it works...But it should work that way.

If someone was unhappy with my store and product, I would expect them to tell me about it and I would do something about it.

I've said this before. I don't think it's about money. I don't think PA is against spending money. I just think he is not aware of how to do this thing right. The problem is that he THINKS he does. It isn't bad intentions for a money grab or a lack of desire to field a winner. He isn't sitting in a room with a calculator, smiling as the money roles in like some Grinch that stole Xmas. IMO, he just doesn't know enough to run this team properly.

You must have not been paying attention to him...Did you ever read his quote after Oswalt got his contract? Talking about how crazy it was and that was what, 70ish million?

I imagine they are about breaking even now.

You may very well be right, but I have a hard time believing PA would hold onto the Orioles if that were the case. What does he stand to gain by owning the team otherwise?

His handling of the Nats-MASN saga seems to say otherwise.

This about hits the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned. The past 15+ seasons of Oriole baseball have been an absolute joke, I can't deny that. However, Peter Angelos's business skills aren't related to his baseball savvy... and that's unfortunate. While there's no actual figure for what MASN brings in, Angelos was given an insurance policy when the Nationals came to DC that essentially guarantees him a certain amount of money if he ever decides to sell the team. If Peter Angelos was losing money, or it was looking like he'll be losing money in a certain amount of seasons -- I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't angle to sell.

As an owner, there's no denying the product that he's put out on the field is absolute crap. If you or I were to perform the way the Orioles have performed the past 15 seasons on our job -- we'd be shown the door. There comes a point in time where you just have to put up or shut up. If you want to cry poor old AL East, fine. I get it, competing against teams with monopoly money isn't easy. What is easy? Controlling what you can flipping control. Don't pick Matt Hobgood and justify it to the fans. Don't hold onto Jeremy Guthrie and Luke Scott when the only difference is the 5th pick instead of the 2nd. The Rays showed that it can be done. There is more to it than being bad for a certain amount of years. You have to stockpile talent, recognize ceilings with players and cut bait when you've gone far enough.

All that being said, I do not think Angelos owes the fans any answers. Truthfully, would anyone actually believe him? I wouldn't. Owners own, coaches coach, players play. If you don't like the answers that mean something (i.e. wins) -- you owe nobody any explanation for not following the team. You deserve better.

You may very well be right, but I have a hard time believing PA would hold onto the Orioles if that were the case. What does he stand to gain by owning the team otherwise?

His handling of the Nats-MASN saga seems to say otherwise.

Wait, so he has a chance to make money and you find falut in that? Be serious.

Archived