An Eloquent, Truthful Editorial in The Sun

frankpembleton

the idea that it would make everything so much better is kind of irritating
Nobody is saying that this is a panacea for the O's problems. It's just a sign of respect to the city and the Metro area. The O's are terrible at PR under Angelos, and this is just one aspect of that multifaceted problem.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not as violently as today. Plus I dont think any self-respecting Baltimorean EVER considered the Orioles a "regional" team. Baltimore has not been on the uniform since 1972 that is over 30 years.

When the Orioles win, no one cares.

Now I would LOVE to see it happen, but the idea that it would make everything so much better is kind of irritating

Again, the removal of "Baltimore" in the early 70's coincided with the move of the Senators. With the arrival of the the Nationals, shouldn't "Baltimore" be put back on the jerseys?

What is Pete's excuse for not putting it back on the jerseys now that there is a team in DC?

Nobody is saying that this is a panacea for the O's problems. It's just a sign of respect to the city and the Metro area. The O's are terrible at PR under Angelos, and this is just one aspect of that multifaceted problem.

See that is the problem! People link the road jersey issue with Angelos. It hasnt been there since 72!

I admit there has been a disconnect with the city, it bothers me but there are so many other things that need to be fixed before this.

Regarding the team's lack of identity with Baltimore:

1) If the "Baltimore" not being on the road jerseys thing didn't bother people, we wouldn't see it being brought up all the time. Though symbolic, I think it would mean a lot to many fans for the team to put Baltimore on the road jersey.

2) If you happen to be on the club level for a game, take a look at the team portraits over the last few years. When they moved into OPACY, they began taking the photo in front of the out-of-town scoreboard. On the screen during their first bunch of years in OPACY was "199X Baltimore Orioles." For the last few years, it has read "200X Orioles" with no reference to the city the team plays in.

What's up with that? Don't anyone say this team is disconnected from the city it plays in in a huge way.

Again, the removal of "Baltimore" in the early 70's coincided with the move of the Senators. With the arrival of the the Nationals, shouldn't "Baltimore" be put back on the jerseys?

What is Pete's excuse for not putting it back on the jerseys now that there is a team in DC?

Well people like BG for one. But while I agree with you, people have been crying about this for the last 5 years - they all try to find a way to blame PA.

What about EBW, et al - why didnt THEY put it back on the uniforms - how come they get a free pass?

See that is the problem! People link the road jersey issue with Angelos. It hasnt been there since 72!

I admit there has been a disconnect with the city, it bothers me but there are so many other things that need to be fixed before this.

But it is Angelos' fault that he has not put "Baltimore" back on now that DC has a team!

This is such a cheap and easy thing to fix, it's a total slap in the face to the city that it has not been done yet.

You must be kidding. :confused:

Are you that sensitive ?

If they never changed the jerseys in the first place- would you have NOT become a fan of them ?

It isn't a big deal to me. It is more a symbollic gesture about shoring up their base that they have been losing in droves.

No, no, and no, to answer your questions. It's just, to me, horrendously stupid to whine about not having your city's name on your road jersey, especially when there are without a doubt more Oriole fans outside of the city than in.

As a previous poster mentioned, if this were a winning team, nobody would complain. There are a lot of things wrong with this organization. The lack of "Baltimore" on the road jersey's is not one of them.

Well people like BG for one. But while I agree with you, people have been crying about this for the last 5 years - they all try to find a way to blame PA.

What about EBW, et al - why didnt THEY put it back on the uniforms - how come they get a free pass?

It is absolutely unfathomable to me how people still rush to the defense of Angelos after every slight criticism.

The man has been in charge for a decade. EVERYTHING that is wrong (and right) with the Orioles is and has been his responsibility for years.

It is absolutely unfathomable to me how people still rush to the defense of Angelos after every slight criticism.

The man has been in charge for a decade. EVERYTHING that is wrong (and right) with the Orioles is and has been his responsibility for years.

I just do not believe in blaming someone for a problem that they didnt create, and a problem that if we were winning wouldnt even be a problem.

that's all that is

EBW owned the Orioles during a time when there was not a team in Washington DC - that is the difference. Peter Angelos owns the team now and there IS a team in DC and yet he still refuses to make a simple change that will appease so much criticsm.

EBW owned the Orioles during a time when there was not a team in Washington DC - that is the difference. Peter Angelos owns the team now and there IS a team in DC and yet he still refuses to make a simple change that will appease so much criticsm.

But why not blame the person that actually DID IT!

that excuse was a lame excuse when PA could use it 3 years ago, now he doesnt have it, but EBW was allowed to use that excuse?

again, if the team is winning this isnt an issue

No, no, and no, to answer your questions. It's just, to me, horrendously stupid to whine about not having your city's name on your road jersey, especially when there are without a doubt more Oriole fans outside of the city than in.

As a previous poster mentioned, if this were a winning team, nobody would complain. There are a lot of things wrong with this organization. The lack of "Baltimore" on the road jersey's is not one of them.

LOL. You think those on the other side are "horrendously stupid to whine"....

Real nice.

Well, maybe others think it is "horrendously immature" to be "feel alienated" by the team's first name on its jersey ?

Every team has more fans outside its city limits than in. So ?

The Orioles reside in Baltimore. Their official name is the Baltimore Orioles. If I was offended by your first name- would you stop using it ?:D

And you are saying that it is "offensive" to put their first name on their road jersey ? :confused:

Are you offended at the twenty-five or so other teams who do it ?

And if there are so many other things wrong with the organization- why are YOU worried about it ? :confused:

Archived