The New Uniform Unveiling (August 22nd, 7:30 pm, terpstv)

Danielos38

I'm probably guessing you're not a 16-18 year old kid. The style is supposedly the "in" thing. People said the same thing about Oregon's uniforms back in the day and look at what that's done for them.

The lavish, Club Med facilities that Uncle Phil built has probably helped the Ducks more than the uniforms with recruiting. UM doesn't measure up in that area, and Uncle Kevin's pockets aren't quite that deep yet.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said above I really don't like these but I also don't think they're totally unsalvageable. They could make some tweaks next year to keep the concept but make them less horrible. Make the numbers a single color, remove a few of the jersey stripes, simplify the pants, ditch the black helmet, etc.

Just as important as recruiting (which I really don't think uniforms helps anyway) are jersey sales, and I honestly don't see these being a big hit.

The lavish' date=' Club Med facilities that Uncle Phil built has probably helped the Ducks more than the uniforms with recruiting. UM doesn't measure up in that area, and Uncle Kevin's pockets aren't quite that deep yet.[/quote']

Uniforms create a buzz. "Wait until you see what Oregon is wearing" or "you won't believe what the Ducks wore this weekend" were things that echoed across the country for years. Now when Oregon goes to see some kid in Texas the kid has heard of Oregon.

Same concept applies to MD. We were the talk of college football Monday and Tuesday. The uniforms were talked about on Sportsnation (terrible show btw), on SI's website as well as Yahoo and I'm sure most college football outlets. I bet Maryland was also trending on twitter Monday night though I wasn't around to check. There's a third helmet that they'll likely wear against ND that will again have people talking about Maryland.

The whole point of this is to create a buzz and get people talking about MD so when Edsall goes down to a recruit's home in Georgia or Florida the kid will think "hey, I've heard of Maryland". It helps make the school stick out and really that's all that matters.

I have a feeling these won't be around for long. It seems like everyone other than Danielos dislikes them or is, at best, indifferent.

Read this thread from about page 30 on. Responses are overwhelmingly positive. On the Sports Reporters on 980 yesterday, responses were about 50% positive.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/53/New-Football-Uniforms-1070347/1

Uniforms create a buzz. "Wait until you see what Oregon is wearing" or "you won't believe what the Ducks wore this weekend" were things that echoed across the country for years. Now when Oregon goes to see some kid in Texas the kid has heard of Oregon.

Same concept applies to MD. We were the talk of college football Monday and Tuesday. The uniforms were talked about on Sportsnation (terrible show btw), on SI's website as well as Yahoo and I'm sure most college football outlets. I bet Maryland was also trending on twitter Monday night though I wasn't around to check. There's a third helmet that they'll likely wear against ND that will again have people talking about Maryland.

The whole point of this is to create a buzz and get people talking about MD so when Edsall goes down to a recruit's home in Georgia or Florida the kid will think "hey, I've heard of Maryland". It helps make the school stick out and really that's all that matters.

My point was, there's buzz, and there's "sealing the deal" when it comes to recruiting. Buzz can get you in the door to a kid's home, but top-tier facilities will go farther towards getting his signature on an LOI.

My point was' date=' there's buzz, and there's "sealing the deal" when it comes to recruiting. Buzz can get you in the door to a kid's home, but top-tier facilities will go farther towards getting his signature on an LOI.[/quote']

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. We don't have top-tier facilities yet (and maybe MD never does), even more reason in my opinion to wear uniforms that create buzz. They can get you into a door that may not have previously been open. You can have both uniforms that are buzz worthy and great facilities.

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. We don't have top-tier facilities yet (and maybe MD never does), even more reason in my opinion to wear uniforms that create buzz. They can get you into a door that may not have previously been open. You can have both uniforms that are buzz worthy and great facilities.

Obviously the relationship with coaches is usually the top determining factor of the school a recruit chooses. I'm just saying that all other things being equal, a kid will be more impressed with top-tier facilities than buzz worthy uniforms. They wear the uniforms 12-13 times a year. They utilize the facilities almost every day.

There's a third helmet that they'll likely wear against ND that will again have people talking about Maryland.

November 14, 2011

Person 1: How about those helmets Maryland wore against Notre Dame?

Person 2: Yeah, those were pretty cool.

Person 1: Agreed! Did you watch the game Saturday night?

Person 2: The first half. But once ND was up by 22 I turned it off.

Person 1: Ha. I didn't even make it out of the first quarter. The Irish were ROLLING. Plus, The Breakup was on TBS. Love that movie.

- SCENE -

Obviously the relationship with coaches is usually the top determining factor of the school a recruit chooses. I'm just saying that all other things being equal' date=' a kid will be more impressed with top-tier facilities than buzz worthy uniforms. They wear the uniforms 12-13 times a year. They utilize the facilities almost every day.[/quote']

Still don't see your point. Let's not change our uniforms because we don't have great facilities!

November 14, 2011

Person 1: How about those helmets Maryland wore against Notre Dame?

Person 2: Yeah, those were pretty cool.

Person 1: Agreed! Did you watch the game Saturday night?

Person 2: The first half. But once ND was up by 22 I turned it off.

Person 1: Ha. I didn't even make it out of the first quarter. The Irish were ROLLING. Plus, The Breakup was on TBS. Love that movie.

- SCENE -

How many human sacrifices will Brian Kelly make this year?

Still don't see your point. Let's not change our uniforms because we don't have great facilities!

I never said don't change the uniforms. In fact, I said earlier that for a program lacking tradition like UM new unis can definitely be a plus. But, IMO, new uniforms won't carry the same weight with a recruit as having top-notch facilities. I made that statement referencing Oregon and how they have managed to get good players recently, but it applies to UM too. Obviously, new uniforms is the more affordable option, and that's the way UM chose to go, and that's fine. But if the money becomes available they should continue investing in the facilities, like an indoor practice facility. Even Duke has one of those.

I never said don't change the uniforms. In fact' date=' I said earlier that for a program lacking tradition like UM new unis can definitely be a plus. But, IMO, new uniforms won't carry the same weight with a recruit as having top-notch facilities. I made that statement referencing Oregon and how they have managed to get good players recently, but it applies to UM too. Obviously, new uniforms is the more affordable option, and that's the way UM chose to go, and that's fine. But if the money becomes available they should continue investing in the facilities, like an indoor practice facility. Even Duke has one of those.[/quote']

Plans are in the works for one in the next few years.

Archived