You realize that you left tens of millions on the table, right?

Hank Scorpio

I'm a Jered Weaver fan now (that and he's killing it on my fantasy team this year). It's great to see that a guy is driven more by his situation than the almighty dollar. Compare that to CC Sabathia, who probably preferred to play in 20 other markets than New York, went after the green.

I'd like to say that if the Orioles were contenders I'd take $80 million to play for them versus $120 million to play in Philly or Boston or New York.

Good for him.

Ain't much you can buy for 120 million that you can't get with 80 million.

Can we now bury once and for all this notion that Boras is in charge instead of the player? If the player wants to extend for a below market deal there isn't much he can do about it.

The problem is, not every player is head-strong like Weaver. I'd guess that 90% of them listen to the agent.

The bottom line is Scott Boras is bad for baseball as long as the rules are constructed as they are.

The problem is, not every player is head-strong like Weaver. I'd guess that 90% of them listen to the agent.

The bottom line is Scott Boras is bad for baseball as long as the rules are constructed as they are.

Its also a business that depends on your health and success. You are smart to take as much money as quickly as you can. They are all right to listen to their agents.

With that said, its still a cool move. Staying put is probably best for him and his success, and hes happy. I have taken a job for less money to stay at a place where I was comfortable as well. Its a neat gesture to see when the world is so geared towards getting as much money for yourself as possible. And, as he said, its still a ton of money.

I'm a Jered Weaver fan now (that and he's killing it on my fantasy team this year). It's great to see that a guy is driven more by his situation than the almighty dollar. Compare that to CC Sabathia, who probably preferred to play in 20 other markets than New York, went after the green.

I'd like to say that if the Orioles were contenders I'd take $80 million to play for them versus $120 million to play in Philly or Boston or New York.

Good for him.

I think I'd take $20 million. I really don't know. Not trying to one-up you, just trying to imagine having the choice and picking another team. Plus, money I don't make can be allocated in other places.

How about this - I'll take $80MM instead of $120MM, and then I get to/have to spend $60MM of that on the Orioles. I can sign free agents, international prospects, whatever. :D

Archived