John Heyman : Hearing John Hart as a possibility for GM

jamesenoch

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps. This isn't the way to go. We need a GM to compete with the young guys in the game.

My hope is, if Hart is brought in, that the plan AS laid out is what happens.

As the link I put up showed, he has groomed other young guys. One of them was Depodesta, so maybe he is brought in with Hart. That would be good too.

Hart as President of Baseball Operations with a GM brought in could be a possiblity, but Hart as GM isn't a bad idea. He still seems relevant to the game in what he wants the Orioles to do. Age has nothing to do with competency as long as you and your strategy are still relevant.

Gillick was still relevant for the Phillies in his late 60's.

Hart as President of Baseball Operations with a GM brought in could be a possiblity, but Hart as GM isn't a bad idea. He still seems relevant to the game in what he wants the Orioles to do.
Everyone was excited when AM was brought in for many of these same reasons...at least Hart acknowledges a larger need for signing international talent.

End of the day, I want AM gone and am happy with getting a new voice. I just that voice should be one of the newer, brilliant minds that have a good understanding of what needs to be done nowadays.

i would be less that optimistic to see any of the Texas staff flock to come work with Hart. There was some friction with Hart and the young guns. Buck and Hart where the guys that basically drove the failed AGon trade to SD (even after he was out). I have not desire to see Hart GM in the MLB again, much less for a team I like to follow...

Hart as President of Baseball Operations with a GM brought in could be a possiblity, but Hart as GM isn't a bad idea. He still seems relevant to the game in what he wants the Orioles to do. Age has nothing to do with competency as long as you and your strategy are still relevant.

Gillick was still relevant for the Phillies in his late 60's.

There is a reason Hart stepped aside and passed the torch to the younger guys. He likes certain aspects of the job and doesn't like others. He's GREAT as part of a solution, but he's not the whole solution. He's brought in bright young guys that do well because he delegates more than most GMs are willing to do, guys like Shapiro and Daniels had a lot of experience before they were turned lose. He's an amazing mentor, but to give him everything and say have fun, isn't going to cut it. Trust me, if he's brought in to be the "respected guy that keeps PA out of the way" I'm ALL for it, and let a young guy like Levine shine, it's his time.

All of this said and done, I've heard a couple times now that Cashman is also interested in the job. He likes the O's and he's interested in a challenge to see if he can build his own legacy instead of just being the guy Steinbrenner told what to do. The only reason anyone has any interest in the O's job is the theory in circles is if you can do well here you can do well ANYWHERE.

All of this said and done, I've heard a couple times now that Cashman is also interested in the job. He likes the O's and he's interested in a challenge to see if he can build his own legacy instead of just being the guy Steinbrenner told what to do. The only reason anyone has any interest in the O's job is the theory in circles is if you can do well here you can do well ANYWHERE.

Cashman would be the best hire the Orioles could make realistically under Angelos...

i would be less that optimistic to see any of the Texas staff flock to come work with Hart. There was some friction with Hart and the young guns. Buck and Hart where the guys that basically drove the failed AGon trade to SD (even after he was out). I have not desire to see Hart GM in the MLB again, much less for a team I like to follow...

Facts are that Daniels traded AGon after Hart left as GM. Daniels saw Buck as a legacy manager from the Hart era and was not listening to Buck at that point. Buck, from his years of building the AZ team, had more experience acquiring players and winning than Daniels which made Buck a threat. Daniels let Buck go as soon as he could and brought in his own guy, Washington.

I agree with you on this one, which is why I think for things to work well Hart needs to come in as Prez and Levine as GM. Hart's days of doing this stuff himself are behind him, but I like a lot of his philosophies.

I don't think PA gives a patootie about O's traditions, or organizational history though. I think he cares about the bottom line and that is ALL.

I don't think any one would disagree with this:

“It’s a matter of building a superior development program. I think Tampa Bay holds the secret over there as to what certain markets need to do. The Orioles are not nearly as economically challenged as Tampa. … The key for me is building the steady flow of talent. They need to draft well. They need to be a big player internationally. They have to have top-shelf scouts, a frontline development program … They have got to out-scout and out-coach and out-teach and not be afraid to jump in and take the best player available and compete with other teams when the dollars aren’t that big. … At some point, to sustain success, you have to retain your star players once you get them and … when the right free agent presents itself, if it all works out, you have to do it.”.......... Except one person. And even though just about any GM would say it, that one person wouldn't let them do it.

Right...What he will do is pitch that concept to the fans and the casual fan will eat it up. He will talk about how he did well with the Indians in the past, etc....

Basically, the same stuff we heard about AM, just different wording.

Right, all of what JTrea quoted sounds great, but good luck implementing these ideas with PA holding the strings.

Right, all of what JTrea quoted sounds great, but good luck implementing these ideas with PA holding the strings.

Hart won't come here if Angelos doesn't want to do what he wants to do.

Unlike MacPhail who had just resigned from the Cubs a year earlier, Hart has a job right now that he's quite happy to continue doing...

Archived