Rumor update: Cartoon bird coming back?

SilentJames

I have a friend that works with a rather large non-profit in the city. He had a meeting yesterday with top Orioles brass in the Warehouse that handle PR, ticketing, etc. (His boss met with PA earlier that week).

Before I get to the rumor his comments on the org:

He said they were the nicest people he has worked with and they seemed really on point with facts, figures and are cutting them a great deal on blocks of tickets while hoping to build a lasting partnership.

He was given a goodie bag on the way out with a hat in it, an official non-cooperstown, 1966 cartoon bird hat.

You would think that the top guys would be giving out the on the field stuff, the current stuff.

Possible evidence that the team is in fact moving that direction next year?

Just thought it would be a fun thing on a rainy Wednesday while my students are off taking their PSATs and I sit in my office.

Another thing about that meeting; My friend is from the UK and never got baseball. But after walking through the Warehouse and seeing the framed Paul Blair jersey he got it. In his words: "There's history there, like real history. You can feel it when you walk around there. I get it now"

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a friend that works with a rather large non-profit in the city. He had a meeting yesterday with top Orioles brass in the Warehouse that handle PR, ticketing, etc. (His boss met with PA earlier that week).

Before I get to the rumor his comments on the org:

He said they were the nicest people he has worked with and they seemed really on point with facts, figures and are cutting them a great deal on blocks of tickets while hoping to build a lasting partnership.

He was given a goodie bag on the way out with a hat in it, an official non-cooperstown, 1966 cartoon bird hat.

You would think that the top guys would be giving out the on the field stuff, the current stuff.

Possible evidence that the team is in fact moving that direction next year?

Just thought it would be a fun thing on a rainy Wednesday while my students are off taking their PSATs and I sit in my office.

Another thing about that meeting; My friend is from the UK and never got baseball. But after walking through the Warehouse and seeing the framed Paul Blair jersey he got it. In his words: "There's history there, like real history. You can feel it when you walk around there. I get it now"

That would be fantastic if it happens.

More likely though, some bigwig probably saw the group and ran down to the basement and grabbed the hat out of some dusty old box marked "Memorial Stadium" on the outside in sharpie.

I was told by somebody who has seen the 2012 MLB Style Guide that the Orioles are getting a new cap and a new alternate jersey. He would not go into details for fear of getting smacked down by the MLB legal eagles. There will be a patch on the jersey's right sleeve commemorating the 20th Anniversary of Camden Yards.

opacy20.jpg

I was told by somebody who has seen the 2012 MLB Style Guide that the Orioles are getting a new cap and a new alternate jersey. He would not go into details for fear of getting smacked down by the MLB legal eagles. There will be a patch on the jersey's right sleeve commemorating the 20th Anniversary of Camden Yards.

opacy20.jpg

That's good. It makes a lot of sense as an alternate hat, since it will appease the fans of the old look and the new look. Hopefully they scrap that hideous "O's" hat too.

Awesome! I really hope this comes to be. I said it in the thread that DuffMan linked, but the 1966 version is the right bird to choose (IMHO) if you're going to bring back one of the cartoon birds.

1966-1974 (which Wieters wears on his helmet):

bfkDy.gif

as opposed to the skinnier bird from 1975-1988:

FO8td.gif

Awesome! I really hope this comes to be. I said it in the thread that DuffMan linked, but the 1966 version is the right bird to choose (IMHO) if you're going to bring back one of the cartoon birds.

bfkDy.gif

FO8td.gif

The 1966 version rocks!

That would be fantastic if it happens.

More likely though, some bigwig probably saw the group and ran down to the basement and grabbed the hat out of some dusty old box marked "Memorial Stadium" on the outside in sharpie.

I know you are joking, mostly, here but I just want to say how impressed my friend was. He has done work with the Ravens. His org has a very close relationship with the Ravens and this was his first attempt to work with the Orioles and he was impressed with how organized and on point they were. Also how open they were to fostering a close, long-term relationship. He left that meeting very very excited.

opacy20.jpg

If there is a new alternate jersey, by Odin's beard it better be orange.

Yes, I just couldn't find the thread - So I said it was an update. You definitely broke the story.

Just yankin your chain, but it's good to hear someone else has heard about this as well. Alot of smoke around this story sounds like its only a matter of time before we get official word.

bfkDy.gif

FO8td.gif

I'd take both!

66-74 Home

75-88 Road

Or vice versa

Just yankin your chain, but it's good to hear someone else has heard about this as well. Alot of smoke around this story sounds like its only a matter of time before we get official word.

Oh I know, reading that again it sounds catty when it wasn't intended. I hope this happens. I mean I really don't care all that much, but it would be cool to rock the cartoon bird again. The only other team that uses a cartoon as their primary logo is the Indians' pretty dang racist "Chief Wahoo", and I think they are starting to move away from it a bit (The red C on their hats last year).

That Bird is a great design. The current bird I like, but the overall "Bird perched on the Orioles script" logo is just poorly designed. It is clunky and awkward. I want to see that smiling bird again.

Archived