Is the decision of what to do with Adam Jones the biggest decision of the offseason?

Sports Guy

The problems with converting JJ to starter at this point, is that the bullpen is shaky to begin with. Removing him, just makes it shakier.

I'm not quite sold on his stuff as a starter, but I definitely don't think the reason he should remain in the pen is to strengthen the pen. The best thing we can do for the pen is get 5 starters who go 6 or more innings on most nights.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not quite sold on his stuff as a starter, but I definitely don't think the reason he should remain in the pen is to strengthen the pen. The best thing we can do for the pen is get 5 starters who go 6 or more innings on most nights.

Exactly why JJ should be given the chance to start.

Exactly why JJ should be given the chance to start.

They could give anyone a chance to start. The question is whether it makes sense for him. I don't think it does, but other evaluators (not that I am one) certainly disagree. I've seen him tire in-season, battle injury and look very average as a starter in the minors. Not to mention that I don't think he can throw his curve over with regularity (without making it a get-over pitch) or rely on his change more than occassionally. To me, he's the definition of a great bullpen arm and that shouldn't change. Maybe he has matured as a pitcher...in fact, he certainly has. I still haven't seen the guy that fits as a starter. In fact, I think he should be traded before he gets expensive, but only if we get a very nice return or he's a big part of a package for a very nice return.

The closer doesn't really matter if we don't have any games worth saving.
That's easy to say now but if the yeam is playing as well as it did last Sept., and it is capable of that even as is, we won't be happy seeing Gregg giving games away. I think Johnson isa mid rotation SP at best. I'd much rather trade Jones for something better.

Really, the only "decision" has been made up by you guys. The guy is only arbitration eligible. I've got no desire to see this team become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the AL East. The minute a young player gets good, some of you are ready to trade him. You all want an endless cycle of developing players who get traded away to other teams, even though it's rare that this team develops anyone. Sickening.

Sure, but so did CJ Wilson's, so did Ugando's, so did Holland's.

Nobody thinks JJ can start and keep his ERA at 2.75, or whatever it was, but wouldn't you rather have a guy give you 180 ip w a 3.75 ERA, than a guy give you what JJ gives you in the pen? Particularly on a team w as many holes in the rotation as the O's have?

Those guys were starters recently though. Remember, JJ hasn't started in like 6 years or so...hopw many innings could he handle? Can he make it through a lineup 3 times?

Wilson maybe..but he lost like 5 MPH on his fastball when he went to the pen..Can JJ overcome that?

Those guys were starters recently though. Remember, JJ hasn't started in like 6 years or so...hopw many innings could he handle? Can he make it through a lineup 3 times?

Wilson maybe..but he lost like 5 MPH on his fastball when he went to the pen..Can JJ overcome that?

He did? PitchFX has him at a peak of 93 out of the pen and 91 as a starter.

Do you care to point out to me when Ogando had starter experience in pro ball? He had 3, count em, 3 pro starts before the Rangers moved him to the rotation during ST this season. And Wilson, like JJ, was about 5 years removed from starting.

As far as JJ, I think he could handle 180 innings or so this year. He's through the injury nexus; he pitched 91 last year; and he has 3 previous seasons, in the MiLs, of ~150 ip or more.

Archived