Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If AM acquired Taylor Teagarden and Matt Antonelli for Randy Henry two years ago, we would have thrown the guy a parade.

If AM made that trade, it would have taken the entire offseason to pull off, and he would have been unable to complete any other tasks 'til it was finalized.

If AM made that trade, it would have taken the entire offseason to pull off, and he would have been unable to complete any other tasks 'til it was finalized.

Excellent point. I should have put - If, prior to the Winter Meetings, AM acquired Taylor Teagarden and Matt Antonelli for Randy Henry two years ago, we would have thrown the guy a parade.

Can we really say this? What if he has a sub 600 OPS and bats 190? Do you think he will be kept around for 3 years?

I think it's impossible to say any reserve position is solved for any length of time. If Teagarden was some ideal backup catcher the Rangers wouldn't have let him go for a random arm from A ball. He'll be the O's #2 as long as he plays reasonably ok. If he has another year where he hits .155 they'll start looking, and we'll have 27 threads with folks arguing about if it matters if your backup catcher goes 0-for-the-season.

Very little.
Duquette said during a conference call with reporters. "He has an excellent ability to handle a pitching staff. Pitchers like throwing to him, and he's very good at controlling the opposing team's running game by virtue of throwing runners out. And offensively, I think he's a real good complement to our team. He has good power and he'll be able to support our current catcher, Matt Wieters.
source - Roch

Looking at the numbers, I'm missing the "good power"part of Teagarden's game. Duke should have went with the usual cliche about our backup, "a good catch and throw guy," and stopped there.

source - Roch

Looking at the numbers, I'm missing the "good power"part of Teagarden's game. Duke should have went with the usual cliche about our backup, "a good catch and throw guy," and stopped there.

There are 73 catchers who've played at least 100 games since 2008. Teagarden's ISO is 9th on that list. Ahead of Posada, Avila, Posey, Wieters, Mauer, many others.

Yes, that's about as positive a way as you could frame his offense.

This trade has Buck's evaluation finger prints all over it. Buck was in charge before DD was hired. That is when Tatum was lost by passing him through waiver. Buck didn't value Tatum enough to keep him on the 40 man roster over Viola. That says something and it wasn't about Tatum's bat. It was probably about running the game, leading the pitching staff and calling the pitches. Tatum caught 29% of stealer last year which normally doesn't get a catcher fired. But Buck was not a Tatum fan apparently.

Buck knows Teagarden from Texas. He must like him and again it is not about his bat. His about the way he runs a game and handles pitchers. Teagarden is about a 600 OPS hitter and at 28 it is probably fantasy to think he is going to get better. Buck likes Teagarden better - period.

You got that one right:

"We've been talking to Texas for quite a while," Duquette said. "And with Buck being familiar with Taylor, I believe the catcher should be the personal choice of the manager because he really represents the manager on the field, so this makes sense for our ballclub. Taylor's ability to lead the pitching staff and control the running game is a very dependable skill and will help stabilize our ballclub. I'm glad to have Taylor join the organization, and the fact that Buck knows and likes him is a big plus for everybody."

(Same Roch article that Tony Soprano quoted.)

I can see both sides of the argument but the bottom line to me is this, Dan Duquette is not afraid to make moves. It doesn't have to be the perfect deal in order to make it. Personally, I look at K numbers with minor league pitchers and especially relievers. Henry's was not great at Delmarva or Frederick. In a SSS at Frederick he actually gave up more hits than IP, another pet peeve of mine with relievers. There's a chance Texas develops him but I can't see it biting us in the rear too much. We just drafted Wright and Simon last year who probably project to be as good or better as relievers. No big deal, no pun intended. My impression is that DD going to be better at making the smaller moves than AM was.
GB pitcher on suspect fields with some potential suspect fielders behind him...Not that surprising that he could give up some hits.

There are 73 catchers who've played at least 100 games since 2008. Teagarden's ISO is 9th on that list. Ahead of Posada, Avila, Posey, Wieters, Mauer, many others.

Yes, that's about as positive a way as you could frame his offense.

His killer BA/OBP sep in the minors hasn't translated very well.

Archived