• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cubs are asking Illinois for $300-$500 million to pay for upgrades to Wrigley Field. They can't ask for that money and shell out $100+ million to a free agent at the same time. It's political suicide.

Plus they just traded a promising young pitcher for Rizzo. 1B is occupied.

Ah, forgot about Rizzo. For some reason I thought he was flipped somewhere else, although I think Cashner is destined for the bullpen, and upgrades to stadiums are passed to taxpayers more often than people think [unfortunately].

Well, that leaves the Nats and Mariners.

Spoke to my father again tonight who is in the midst of his firm's 5 day long celebration. Many of the MLB execs have been attending and there is certainly more to come from now until Saturday night. Word is that the Rangers are going all out for him in a back loaded contract while declining Hamilton next year. Prince wants to win first and foremost and it's a lock they make the playoffs with Prince in their lineup next year. So in other words, if the O's want PF they will have to outbid the Nats (who they probably won't) and the Rangers (who have much more to offer than us). My best guess is... PF signs with the Rangers on Tuesday or Wednesday for a mega-deal. Backloaded, yes. But it'll be worth more than the O's can afford. The O's are simply being used as leverage at this point, according to sources. PF to the Rangers for 25 average salary for 7 years. That is my best guess, along with a few MLB execs.

Ah, forgot about Rizzo. For some reason I thought he was flipped somewhere else, although I think Cashner is destined for the bullpen, and upgrades to stadiums are passed to taxpayers more often than people think [unfortunately].

Well, that leaves the Nats and Mariners.

Fielder would do as much good for the Mariners as he would for the Orioles. I think the Rangers and Nats still make the most sense based on all of the teams mentioned throughout these threads. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the team that Fielder signs with will shock people as they would have not been mentioned in the Fielder chase until right before he signs with said team.

My guess, the Cardinals.

Spoke to my father again tonight who is in the midst of his firm's 5 day long celebration. Many of the MLB execs have been attending and there is certainly more to come from now until Saturday night. Word is that the Rangers are going all out for him in a back loaded contract while declining Hamilton next year. Prince wants to win first and foremost and it's a lock they make the playoffs with Prince in their lineup next year. So in other words, if the O's want PF they will have to outbid the Nats (who they probably won't) and the Rangers (who have much more to offer than us). My best guess is... PF signs with the Rangers on Tuesday or Wednesday for a mega-deal. Backloaded, yes. But it'll be worth more than the O's can afford. The O's are simply being used as leverage at this point, according to sources. PF to the Rangers for 25 average salary for 7 years. That is my best guess, along with a few MLB execs.

The only thing I don't buy about the preceding, with regards to reasoning, is that Fielder winds up with an average of 25 per year over 7 years. Given the limitations of his market, and the higher value inherent in a TX contract, there is simply no reason for the Rangers to go that high.

Personally, I'll be shocked if he gets more than 6 years at 21-23 per year. I could see him getting one additional year, but not much more in terms of annual value.

The only thing I don't buy about the preceding, with regards to reasoning, is that Fielder winds up with an average of 25 per year over 7 years. Given the limitations of his market, and the higher value inherent in a TX contract, there is simply no reason for the Rangers to go that high.

Personally, I'll be shocked if he gets more than 6 years at 21-23 per year. I could see him getting one additional year, but not much more in terms of annual value.

Just relaying what I've heard. Yes it's not the end of all things. But I would state that it probably fits into Texas' budget for a year while they collect TV revenues to cover the cost and then let Hamilton walk. Their window of opportunity is NOW. Not next year or the year after. NOW. And with Darvish on board to replace CJ Wilson and with PF on board they have really challenged the Angels. Not saying it's a lock to happen but don't be surprised.

Just relaying what I've heard. Yes it's not the end of all things. But I would state that it probably fits into Texas' budget for a year while they collect TV revenues to cover the cost and then let Hamilton walk. Their window of opportunity is NOW. Not next year or the year after. NOW. And with Darvish on board to replace CJ Wilson and with PF on board they have really challenged the Angels. Not saying it's a lock to happen but don't be surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised. It all makes perfect sense, and I personally think Fielder would be a better short-term investment than Hamilton (given H's extensive injury history and age). I just don't think it'll cost nearly as much as $25 million per year.

Plus, just taking the rough tax difference into account...say Fielder got $22 million per year. If he played for the O's, he'd owe almost $2 million more in taxes (federal and state combined, depending on LOTS of other things, obviously) than if he played in TX.

There's just no reason TX should find itself paying $25 million annually when it's all said and done.

Makes sense if they're dedicating the money to him and letting Hamilton walk.

This sounds very plausible to me if you include a 3 year opt out.

bottom line, if the orioles really want him they are going to have to pay over 20 million per. they are going to have to include a opt out after 3 years for him. and they are going to have to swing a trade for a solid pitcher because prince is not coming here with our suspect rotation. he wants to win and get paid. he will get his money anywhere he signs so its not just about money. his relationship with hardy doesnt hurt either i am sure.

Jeezer, it's hard to imagine what Fielder could be like if he was in really great shape.

Or if Babe Ruth was in shape. But his portliness didn't hurt his ability to earn a statue outside of a park for a team he only played on for 5 months when they were a minor league team for the Red Sox.

Fielder's physique doesn't bother me as much as others. And it certainly bothers me less than the O's cheapskate mentality regarding trying to sign in their prime players. If Fielder was 33 now that'd be another story.

Archived