I've always been intrigued by the notion that he would come here on a 2\50ish, mash at OPACY, then go out and try and Pujols his next deal. But you would think lots of teams would be in on that, so we're back to "nah..not happening" again. OR...perhaps he would love to do just that- OPACY would\could drive up his numbers, not tied to a losing franchise for the next half-decade..but it's Duq that's thinking more long term. Who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't resist dropping Prince Fielder's name into the discussion.

"Well, stranger things have happened," Showalter said, smiling. Anything to goose the crowd.

Then he noted how he was glad that the Rangers signed Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish, as if they won't have enough cash left for Fielder.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/01/matusz-and-lots-more.html

Now why would Buck care about the Rangers not getting Fielder... :scratchchinhmm: ;)

Can I ask what is the problem with seeing what Chris Davis can do at first base before we address the position? The Orioles did trade for him and have only seen half a season or maybe less of what he can do. I remember when folks here were clamoring for him, what's changed? Though people here were clamoring for Felix Pie 5 years ago so what do I know?

What do high level free agents always say influenced their decision the most? Be honest with yourselves, people.

1. "I wanted to go to a contender."

2. "*Insert team name here* really showed me that they wanted me." (Read: they offered me the most money.)

The Orioles aren't close to sniffing contention, by all accounts.

The Orioles have demonstrated zero sense for or willingness to be a player in the free agent market in the past.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE, but they'll have to overpay like the Nats did for Werth and that would be stupid.

OR..or..he's thinking more chain reaction, and who he REALLY wants is Josh Hamilton. Hmm...

I wouldnt want Josh Hamilton. I think he is a great hitter, and if things would of gone better for him the beginning he could had a few more MVP's with his name on it. But he is just too much of an injury risk.

The Orioles have demonstrated zero sense for or willingness to be a player in the free agent market in the past.

Roberto Alomar, Rafael Palmeiro, Albert Belle, Miguel Tejada, Javy Lopez.

I know it's been a while, but you did say "the past." There was a time when Angelos had to be restrained from spending foolishly.

I think it is between the Rangers,Nats,Cubs and O's. We shall see. I know my friend would love to have him on the O's. I know a guy who works in sales with the Reda and he says with the moves they have made they have sold a ton more season and partial plans. Just imagine what Fielder would do for ticket sales for the O's.

It sure would be nice if the O's pulled this off, but I'm not holding my breath. I would imagine that ticket sales would increase significantly.

Pulling off a PF signing would be something in itself, but imagine getting him and a solid veteran pitcher like EJ or Floyd. I think the O's would be a competitive team (not necessarily playoff caliber) and ticket sales would reflect that.

It sure would be nice if the O's pulled this off, but I'm not holding my breath. I would imagine that ticket sales would increase significantly.

Hell, I live in NYC and I would come down a few times if he signed. Still don't expect to happen, though.

I know it's been a while, but you did say "the past." There was a time when Angelos had to be restrained from spending foolishly.

Granted. Let me put it this way:

They've never spent > $100MM on one player, nor shown much of a willingness to do so.

Oh he still spends foolishly, just now it is on relief pitchers and past their prime sluggers.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/01/matusz-and-lots-more.html

Now why would Buck care about the Rangers not getting Fielder... :scratchchinhmm: ;)

I don't think its ever been a question that the Orioles want Fielder. But they do want him at their price. The fact that the Rangers have dropped out makes that more possible. What I am worried about is that his price will drop enough as to get another team back into the mix.

Archived