1) Jtrea is absolutely right in saying the Orioles still have a chance. Why is he right? Because as of right now, Fielder's price tag appears to be at a level where I feel the Orioles are comfortable going. Now, I feel pretty confident saying that if his price tag gets to the level where Trea wants to pay him, that the Orioles will walk away.

But, if they are able to ink him for a 6 year deal for 140M or less, I think they make that deal...especially since I don't think the orioles would have an issue giving him an opt out after 4 years.

2) I haven't really read much of this thread but the OP is something I wanted to address. I heard the first few minutes of Colin Cowherd today and he was talking about how absurd it is for the sports media to bash Rob Lowe and his Peyton Manning tweet. He talked about how arrogant it is of sportswriters to think they are the only ones who can break a story. He talked about he has been told stuff from limo drivers, accountants, etc...He talked about how there are always people connected to a situation that could easily know more than a sports reporter.

For those of you who follow the Ravens board on here, you know Hank and Miller also break stories and do it before the media does. These guys aren't writers, they just have connections to those in the know.

So, before we bash ANYONE on this site for their info, we just need to remember that there are always people that know people in the right places and get info about stuff.

Of your 105k plus posts on this site, this is by far the classiest that I have ever seen from you.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Jtrea is absolutely right in saying the Orioles still have a chance. Why is he right? Because as of right now, Fielder's price tag appears to be at a level where I feel the Orioles are comfortable going. Now, I feel pretty confident saying that if his price tag gets to the level where Trea wants to pay him, that the Orioles will walk away.

But, if they are able to ink him for a 6 year deal for 140M or less, I think they make that deal...especially since I don't think the orioles would have an issue giving him an opt out after 4 years.

2) I haven't really read much of this thread but the OP is something I wanted to address. I heard the first few minutes of Colin Cowherd today and he was talking about how absurd it is for the sports media to bash Rob Lowe and his Peyton Manning tweet. He talked about how arrogant it is of sportswriters to think they are the only ones who can break a story. He talked about he has been told stuff from limo drivers, accountants, etc...He talked about how there are always people connected to a situation that could easily know more than a sports reporter.

For those of you who follow the Ravens board on here, you know Hank and Miller also break stories and do it before the media does. These guys aren't writers, they just have connections to those in the know.

So, before we bash ANYONE on this site for their info, we just need to remember that there are always people that know people in the right places and get info about stuff.

Bashing might not be the proper first response, but a healthy dose of skepticism-bordering-on-paranoia is appropriate, IMO.

You're right, and you're wrong.

There are definitely people who have sources of information, and who are willing to share the information with other people. They shouldn't be attacked or dismissed out of hand just for giving information.

However, Hank and Miller have a significant record of accuracy when it comes to what they provide. They also in many cases don't broadcast specific pieces to the board at-large, but to particular members. The board has been burned over and over by people who claim to have information, and either are found to have poor sources or are making things up as they go. You need to differentiate between valid sources and attention-seekers.

I'm not judging the OP either way. I'll wait and see what happens, and then worry about the source. If it is true, it is definitely appreciated; I will say that.

You're right, and you're wrong.

There are definitely people who have sources of information, and who are willing to share the information with other people. They shouldn't be attacked or dismissed out of hand just for giving information.

However, Hank and Miller have a significant record of accuracy when it comes to what they provide. They also in many cases don't broadcast specific pieces to the board at-large, but to particular members. The board has been burned over and over by people who claim to have information, and either are found to have poor sources or are making things up as they go. You need to differentiate between valid sources and attention-seekers.

I'm not judging the OP either way. I'll wait and see what happens, and then worry about the source. If it is true, it is definitely appreciated; I will say that.

IIRC, MatthewW (sp?) was received in much the same way (i.e., skeptically) at first, but, after providing information that was proven accurate, he was thanked profusely thereafter.

I agree SG he currently is in our price range. I just don't think he will stay there. Someone else will jump in at 6/140 level IMO. I would love to be surprised just like we were with Miggy but I have been down this road before and I just don't believe anymore.

When VMart comes back, then what? You have 25 million tied up in a bench player?

Why can't people just accept that the Orioles have a legitimate shot at landing Prince Fielder?

Because they don't. Right now his suiters are TEX WAS and SEA. None want to pay near what he is asking. If the price comes down, one of these teams will be willing to pay more than what ever the O's would offer. TEX has the inside track because that's where Prince wants to play.

This is a reply to prince fielder rumblings. I hope this is true. The orioles realy nedd a first baseman. If he signs with the nationals, then i am done as an oriole fan and so will all my many friends. Then i feels that if angelos family will sell the team , so we can get ownership as terrific as the ravens and be able to get some decent players , not over the hill players. The orioles need to find some true major league ready ball players from other teams. The oriole used to be a terrific organization. I should know, i went 66 ,83 world series.

Because they don't. Right now his suiters are TEX WAS and SEA. None want to pay near what he is asking. If the price comes down, one of these teams will be willing to pay more than what ever the O's would offer. TEX has the inside track because that's where Prince wants to play.

From MLBTR:

“I’m intimately aware of our budget and it’s very unlikely," said GM Jon Daniels to reporters (including MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan) when asked about Fielder. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports corroborates these reports (Twitter link), saying the slugger's price must come way down.

We can outbid TEX at this point...

Anyone who scoffs at skeptical posters on this subject are either ignorant about this organization's history with free agency, or choose to ignore it altogether.

What in the history of this franchise makes anyone believe the Orioles are interested in Fielder, and what in the history of free agency makes anyone think Fielder would consider the Orioles? Its a stretch at best.

And just as a PSA: disregard anything Heyman says about a Boras client.

Honestly I can't understand why the O's would NOT be in on Fielder. They could probably get him for the same contract the Nationals had to pay Jayson Werth last year! It's not like the O's are a smaller market that the Nationals....it's the same market! It's at a position of need. he's a perfect fit for us.

Rangers are out.

Cubs are out.

Mariners are out.

Brewers are out now.

I was sure the Rangers would find a way but they are maxed out....and his fall back would be a 3 year deal with the brewers....but now..IMO it's looking like Washington or Baltimore.

They aren't they got a 100M advance from their TV deal. They can afford Prince and Darvish. It just makes it harder to extend Hamilton next year. But they start getting 80M per in 2014 and in 2013 Youngs 16 M is off the books.

They aren't they got a 100M advance from their TV deal. They can afford Prince and Darvish. It just makes it harder to extend Hamilton next year. But they start getting 80M per in 2014 and in 2013 Youngs 16 M is off the books.

This.

Probably the only way the O's jump the line (i.e., the Rangers and Nationals, at least) is if Texas drives too hard a bargain knowing that they're in the prime position (i.e., money to spend, a loaded team talent-wise, etc.) and Washington gets gun shy about handing out another massive contract.

Rangers are out.

Cubs are out.

Mariners are out.

Brewers are out now.

I was sure the Rangers would find a way but they are maxed out....and his fall back would be a 3 year deal with the brewers....but now..IMO it's looking like Washington or Baltimore.

I have seen nothing to suggest the Rangers are out.

Let's put it this way... If the Orioles are "in", the Rangers are going to be "in", because they're both buyers a very similar price.

I think we'd have to offer an extra year to w/e the Rangers offer if we stand a chance. Either that or $3m+ extra a season. That's just not gonna happen.

Well I said we've got a shot.

It's up to the Orioles and Fielder to do the rest...

I love this post. It's just so perfect. (Trea, I mean that as a friendly jibe.)

Love the constant popcorn type posts that don't even attempt to add to the discussion (sorry guys just a pet peeve I really try to not care but when I see many other people get grilled for no content posts it's tough to let slide every time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r3uMeF4Wfy4#t=5m11s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Sorry, Mike. You're not wrong, and you're welcome to your pet peeve. Just couldn't resist.

Archived