Keith Law takes another shot at the O's

ChaosLex

I'd be interested to poll a group of fans that watched the majority of games and ask them if they would classify Reynolds as a butcher at 3b based on what they saw without looking at his stats. Sure if you look at stats it will tell you he had problems... but we still aren't sure how valid those stats are and I know from my experience in watching Reynolds, I wouldn't have concluded he was a butcher. But again.. reference is important.

I quoted FLD % because it has been around forever and seem fairly consistent (tho I know there is subjectivity to that as well). I don't know that I buy into all the other newer defensive metrics (which also show his year to be horrifying). I suppose your argument is that the term "butcher" is subjective and that one person could watch and focus on the good and someone else could focus on the bad. I think that is why you have to look at the stats... The stats clearly indicate he was chopping up dead animals over there...

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be interested to poll a group of fans that watched the majority of games and ask them if they would classify Reynolds as a butcher at 3b based on what they saw without looking at his stats. Sure if you look at stats it will tell you he had problems... but we still aren't sure how valid those stats are and I know from my experience in watching Reynolds, I wouldn't have concluded he was a butcher. But again.. reference is important.

Law did predict that Reynolds would be bad at 3B and I agree that he was right. I'm sure Baltimore's pro scouts told AM that he was better than the reports indicated and said we should trade for him. Those pro scouts should be reassigned or fired...duh! They also told him that Josh Bell was the second coming of at least Doug Decinces. That pro scout should be reassigned or fired, too...duh!

The differrence, AM did nothing about the poor level of scouting while DD came in with his ass on fire and has done something. Must have read his Machiavelli before taking the job - he doesn't have to be loved.

Oh, absolutely. Reynolds made a ton of errors, and that' pretty much the only thing you can reliably gauge from watching on TV. It wouldn't have taken too many mental notes to figure out by July 1st he'd made more than twice as many errors as anyone else on the team. Subjective observations are full of, well, misguided subjectivity. But it's kind of hard to miss the guy who was the third third baseman since WWII to field under .900 in a decent number of innings.

I quoted FLD % because it has been around forever and seem fairly consistent (tho I know there is subjectivity to that as well). I don't know that I buy into all the other newer defensive metrics (which also show his year to be horrifying). I suppose your argument is that the term "butcher" is subjective and that one person could watch and focus on the good and someone else could focus on the bad. I think that is why you have to look at the stats... The stats clearly indicate he was chopping up dead animals over there...
Law did predict that Reynolds would be bad at 3B and I agree that he was right. I'm sure Baltimore's pro scouts told AM that he was better than the reports indicated and said we should trade for him. Those pro scouts should be reassigned or fired...duh! They also told him that Josh Bell was the second coming of at least Doug Decinces. That pro scout should be reassigned or fired, too...duh!

The differrence, AM did nothing about the poor level of scouting while DD came in with his ass on fire and has done something. Must have read his Machiavelli before taking the job - he doesn't have to be loved.

Oh, absolutely. Reynolds made a ton of errors, and that' pretty much the only thing you can reliably gauge from watching on TV. It wouldn't have taken too many mental notes to figure out by July 1st he'd made more than twice as many errors as anyone else on the team. Subjective observations are full of, well, misguided subjectivity. But it's kind of hard to miss the guy who was the third third baseman since WWII to field under .900 in a decent number of innings.

Thanks guys.

$550K (if that's accurate) could have bought Baltimore a year's worth of ten additional area scouts. Sorry, I'm not going to blindly applaud signings because they are different than what was done in the past -- especially when the "support" for the signing is a writer passing along the highlights given to him by the organization itself.

I don't have any opinion on the signing, as I've never seen the kid.

TO an extent, this is what KLaw was saying. I assumed that he was whining about this because of his hatred of the franchise. I know that you have different feelings there so I guess I will have to take this into consideration.

Law said the Orioles are the "laughing stock" of ML' date=' and spoke negative of DD and his hiring of "old" FO people. They would have been useful 10-15 years ago...[i']Go O's!!! [/i]

Well, in essence, until otherwise proven, Law is right.

That being said, I don't understand what DD hiring "old" people has to do with anything. He said he's stressing OBP, pitching, and defense. Those are winning propositions. Just because someone is "old" doesn't mean they can't be responsible for scouting these things.

Law said the Orioles are the "laughing stock" of ML' date=' and spoke negative of DD and his hiring of "old" FO people. They would have been useful 10-15 years ago...[i']Go O's!!! [/i]

This guy is starting to get under my skin.... and it's not that what he says is wrong, but the pie in the face delivery sure isn't pleasant.

This guy is starting to get under my skin.... and it's not that what he says is wrong, but the pie in the face delivery sure isn't pleasant.

Who cares. He is right. Who cares about his delivery. What would you rather he do? Speak in a Marilyn Monroe voice and tell you the Orioles suck?

And don't you already know that the Orioles suck? So who care what Keith Law thinks?

Duquette is hiring old scouts because he plans to make inroads in the afterlife market.

Archived