Rosenthal: O's and A's are teams most interested in Manny Ramirez

ChaosLex

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His suspension was reduced to 50 games because of not playing all last season. Besides, he wasn't using PED to play better, he was trying to get pregnant. Like Ryan Braun was trying to suppress his herpes. H.I.P.A.A. says you have to believe this.

I believe part of Braun's settlement with the MLB will be after his suspension has ended, his walking to the plate music has to be "I'm Burnin'...I'm Burnin'...I'm Burnin'...For You"

Proof that the Orioles have not learned their lesson about signing aging sluggers:

1. Sammy Sosa

2. Vlad Guerrero

3. Derrek Lee

4. Miguel Tejada (2010)

Will Manny be #5?

I thought Lee was a good signing at the time and still do. He had a bad start but at the end of the year put up a decent season between us and Pittsburgh before he got hurt. Though it's possible my standards were just really low after our debacle at 1B in 2010.

Not if they put Nick there, like they should.

Interesting notion. If we're going to experiment with taking people out of their comfort zone, the first half of the 2012 season would be a good time to do it. It's an article of faith around here that Nick's comfort zone is in the number 2 spot. Baseball Reference supports this as his career OBP is .384 when he bats second.

BBR show no record of him ever batting leadoff per se, however when he leads off an inning his OBP is almost identical at .381. So maybe there's something to this idea although like others, I would prefer a little more accomplished baserunner. He's been caught stealing 20 times with only 55 successes.

I hate seeing Vlad and Manny's names being used in the same sentences. Vlad is a quiet man, an unselfish and respected teammate, a throwback in so many ways. He's a man that I believe (no, I can't prove he's always been clean) would've had this type of career in nearly any era of baseball. I understand the aging slugger comparison, but I just hate seeing their names linked. Just my opinion. I hope we stay away from Ramirez, but I'm glad I got to root for Vlad.

I hate seeing Vlad and Manny's names being used in the same sentences. Vlad is a quiet man, an unselfish and respected teammate, a throwback in so many ways. He's a man that I believe (no, I can't prove he's always been clean) would've had this type of career in nearly any era of baseball. I understand the aging slugger comparison, but I just hate seeing their names linked. Just my opinion. I hope we stay away from Ramirez, but I'm glad I got to root for Vlad.

I feel exactly the same way.

Am I the only one who actually likes Manny? He's one of my favorite players of the era, I just don't want him anywhere near the 2012 Orioles.

I didn't necessarily mean the statistics of stolen bases themselves, but basically what you mentioned. Being able to keep defenses honest and on their toes, and making the pitcher be aware and keep his attention. There is a big difference for a pitcher throwing to a guy with Brian Roberts (healthy) on 1B than Mark Reynolds. If he has to worry about a guy running, not only are you forcing him to concentrate on the shortest time to the plate he can possibly get, but a lot of pitchers pitch better from the wind-up than from the stretch. Having to worry about keeping a guy as close to 1B as you can, while at the same time focusing on the AB of the guy hitting divides attention. (I tend to oversimplifiy things when I'm just trying to make a quick point.)

I don't know if Nick is actually that good of a baserunner that he does any of that, I'm just not sure, you have to actually watch him to see, there's no stat that is going to track that. His lack of steals could be attributed to his batting order position, so it could be coincidence, but I'm just saying if he doesn't have the ability to disrupt the defense or pitcher with his base running ability I wouldn't want him up there. I don't know if he does or not, but it's just something I look for in a legit leadoff hitter.

I agree it would be more ideal...but Nick could be an excellent lead off hitter, SB's or not.

Proof that the Orioles have not learned their lesson about signing aging sluggers:

1. Sammy Sosa

2. Vlad Guerrero

3. Derrek Lee

4. Miguel Tejada (2010)

Will Manny be #5?

Rays:

1. Cliff Floyd

2. Pat Burrell

3. Johnny Damon

4. Manny Ramirez

Will Carlos Pena be #5?

I'm pretty sure you can play this game with most every team.

Am I the only one who actually likes Manny? He's one of my favorite players of the era, I just don't want him anywhere near the 2012 Orioles.

Manny is one of the best right handed hitters I have ever seen and steriods do not make you see or hit the ball. That guy would be a Hall of Fame player in any era and I always liked him when he was on his high. It was at his low that he turned into a guy that wasn't very much fun.

Rays:

1. Cliff Floyd

2. Pat Burrell

3. Johnny Damon

4. Manny Ramirez

Will Carlos Pena be #5?

I'm pretty sure you can play this game with most every team.

There's a difference between adding an old guy to a contender to fill out one of the last spots on the team, and adding a 35-year-old DH for above market value and expecting him to productively bat cleanup for 150 games and teach your 70-win team to contend.

Manny is one of the best right handed hitters I have ever seen and steriods do not make you see or hit the ball. That guy would be a Hall of Fame player in any era and I always liked him when he was on his high. It was at his low that he turned into a guy that wasn't very much fun.

I never had a problem with Manny when he wasn't playing the Orioles. That is, until OPACY became a Manny and Boston love-fest for his 500th homer. Now I can never root for him again. If the O's sign him I will boo.

Archived